I am not very active on this site but it has helped tremendously for me; it's my go-to for a quick reference. My work is phasing in a dept where we will be dealing with Generators (20kw-400kw) and pumps (6"-12") and some chillers/AC's. I don't know much about these pieces of equipment, basically what is the rundown for what is needed & what is involved in setting these up. Example .. I know now that for a generator you can have a distro and spider bix, linear math to determine the load size, and the cables involved. What else are must knows for when customers inquire for this equipment? For pumps, we have the power-head w/ submersible pump and then the classic pumps. I really want to do good but want to be ahead of the curve before we receive these items in. Also anything I need to know about Chillers is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Manufacturer ratings for generators is all over the road. It seems claiming a higher KW than a unit is capable of is "good marketing" these days. Military surplus generators can generally be operated at 115% load all day long. Older US made generators 100%. Newer stuff which is mostly Chinese made, you can figure about 90% load.
Are you the installer, designer or operator? What exactly are you trying to find out? Many pumps these days are run with VFD's to control flow and cut energy use. Programming them is based on the pump curve and often involves feedback loops/sensors to control the VFD. My experiance is that most general contractors/electricians have no idea how to connect/program vfd's. Usually the design engineer or a specialist works with the electrician who makes the connections.