Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Help with John Deere 770 grader

Louisbo ยท 2016-01-14 10:08

Hi people, Hope someone with technical know how can help. I have a JD 770 grader that I use about 10 times a year for light work, and this being an older kind of grader the mechanics around here only know how to plug in a computer. My problem is whenever I lower the blade to start grading the grader just stops moving. If I raise the blade it moves forward, only when it takes a load it stops. Any idea what the problem can be?.

Replies3
  1. #1Delmer2016-01-14 15:25

    I'm going to guess that something is slipping Unless the engine slows way down when it stops? Have you checked a suction screen in the transmission? Is the oil level correct? If you don't have chunks of debris in the suction screen or transmission filter, then it's time to get a service manual and take some pressure readings on the transmission. Does it slip the same in all gears, 1-8 and all the reverse gears? well maybe reverse is hard to tell on a grader? Do you have the owners manual? it seems like somebody on here mentioned something funny with a clutch valve on an old Deere grader.

  2. #2Louisbo2016-01-15 05:42

    Thanks for replying Delmer. I have a service manual but is not that tech savvy. I will try your recommendations and see what happens. I did replace the clutch ans it still slips in all gears. Will try you recommendations. Thanks

  3. #351kw2016-01-15 08:24

    Sounds like the clutch needs adjusting.