Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Help with troubleshooting Cat 320 engine issue

s2dm · 2025-07-21 13:29

11k hrs, been a real beast for a long time. New fuel filter 12 months ago, about 20 hrs of use since then. I keep up with routine maintenance, injectors 2 years ago. Went to start it this morning and it starts but lugs like it’s not getting fuel. Won’t speed up with the throttle. Seems like it’s not getting fuel but I also wondered about water in the fuel. I went and checked the fuel filter and it looks ok. I tried priming the engine and nothing improved. Really hoping it’s not the fuel pump as I only need the machine for another 100hrs or so. My mechanic is far away so was hoping for some simple things I could try myself.

Replies2
  1. #1Nige2025-07-21 15:56

    Have you tried opening the fuel tank drain valve to check for the presence of water.? Post a Serial Number for better information. There are close to 100 different models of 320.

  2. #2Welder Dave2025-07-21 17:27

    Maybe it has a screen somewhere in the fuel line that is plugged. Banjo bolt or longer hex fitting are common locations for screens.