Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Here’s one for the Graders Experts

CAT D8 N ยท 2010-04-03 15:49

Hi all, I am in the market for a few peices of iron, among which a grader. And I was looking for a 14G due to its legendary legacy here in Saudi. Only to find that its price is even more unbalievable. So I think it might be out of the question now that there are many other brands with very affordable prices. To start with my requieremnt is for our own project development which is basicaly producing earth ponds for a sea water Aquacultrue project to be completed in about 24 months. The ponds will be made of a mixture of sand and clay. Flat beds of ponds and 3 to 1 tilt on the dikes. My objective is to have a constant daily production of reasonable work done by a hand full of operators, Dozer, Loaders, along with the Grader/s. We need affordable purchase price and low maintenance requieremnts and cost. I found that the Champion, Dresser, WABCO-HUBER-1500, LEEBOY, all are very affordable if around 1990 models. I have no idea about these brands and could not know which to choose. So what would you experts advise for my requierment? giving two years of hassle free work? :drinkup

Replies18
  1. #1andoman2010-04-03 18:33

    I've had very good luck with the dresser graders I bought a A550 (1990) with 4000 hrs and we haven't had any problems with it in the 5 years we've had it. However, we only use it for fine grading stone so not exactly "heavy" use. Good luck with your purchase.

  2. #2bigrus2010-04-03 18:58

    Dresser Graders I've been an owner operator with an A 450E (140G size) for 12 years. What aimed me towards the Dresser was 1. History of quality manufacture (Galion) 2. Clark transmission (pretty bullet proof) 3. $100k less than a similar other brand. One problem that required a bit of re-engineering was beefing up the radiator supports. Also raise the aircleaner intake to cab height (reduces service interval of pre cleaner) Good luck with your project

  3. #3CAT D8 N2010-04-04 04:09

    Thanks I'll be in the look for a few of those dressers.. Well thats 2 points for the Dresser now... thanks for the tip on the air cleaner.. that could come in handy with several other machines.. The radiator issue is crucial here as it will be running year round with tempratures above 100 and could get up to 125F. Thanks a lot Mate. So what do the other experts have to reveal here now??:cool2

  4. #4qball2010-04-04 11:28

    they are all nice when they are new. for a used machine in the middle of nowhere, i would want a cat. they cost more, but are easier to keep running.

  5. #5bigrus2010-04-05 07:33

    Some more cooling ideas from a hot country Depending on your budget & total hours you intend on using the machine on the project, plus other variables could be the decider on brand/variety. If lots of sand in the terrain, go for "All Wheel Drive" & was available on Dresser Graders too A couple of other ideas for hot weather cooling- change the gearing on your fan pulley (increase the fan speed) a fellow contractor did that to his 14G - If radiator needs replacement, change from 11 fins /inch to 9 fins/inch. This will allow more air to pass through. If trash blockage of the radiator becomes a problem, use "shadecloth" for a screen. It has an irregular pattern unlike "flywire" & trash is more easily 'bumped off' rather than sticking in the mesh pattern of flywire

  6. #6CAT D8 N2010-04-08 13:53

    Who wouldent wat a ne machine to rip mate.... well the thing is that old CAT graders cost the same to three newer other brand. So thats the Dilema here. Thanks Well lets start by budget, I could spare upto $60K for the Grader.. but would like to see my self buying two instead of one... that would mean almost double the work done when both are running... and at least one working whe the other needs service. We definatly need an all wheel drive... thanks for the tips and experience shared .

  7. #7bigrus2010-04-08 17:41

    An alternative brand - Two for the price of one A bit of a diversion- a relative of mine who ran a forrestry workshop for many years bought two Dresser Dozers equivilant size of a D7, for the same price as one D7. 6000 hours of trouble free service, :notworthy twice the production (2 machines) Bottomline is you don't need to buy machinery with the 3 most expensive letters of the alphabet stamped on the side. As you may notice I haven't had "the company injection"

  8. #8bobin352010-04-09 07:25

    Our company has 2 dresser 850's with over 10'000 hours on each unit with very little problems

  9. #9CAT D8 N2010-04-09 15:50

    Well the first machinery I ever bought was less than a year ago, before that I went on a market survey and asked about all what should be asked regarding Heavy Machinery. Most all who I asked agreed that CAT is the best performance, parts availability, easy maint., and resale price. I woud love to go with dresser now but worried about parts and service. What's your thoughts on that? Thanks for re-asurance....

  10. #10bobin352010-04-09 16:45

    Well ive never had parts problem with them just be sure you ask prices of parts before ordering,i think we priced a new floormat for one of them at over 600.00 bought some bulk floormat material and made it ourselves.

  11. #11Motor Grader2010-04-19 11:28

    Champion C116 will do your job Go to www.championmotorgraders.us and check out the C110 and C116 graders.

  12. #12ledsel2010-04-19 21:15

    Champion C116 Motor Grader, Is the C116 about the same size as the old 740A?

  13. #13CAT D8 N2010-04-20 10:37

    Thanks but I cant afford a new grader... any suggestions?

  14. #14raolela2010-05-13 09:01

    you have ability to afford a new grader, just like china XCMG motor grader, or you can go to here: www.hitachi-cat.com and check CAT 14G :beatsme:notworthy

  15. #15stablesmith2010-05-15 17:57

    motor grader part ? Hello I am new to forum. I have a part i believe belongs to a motor grader was wondering if anyone could help identify? I believe it may be pivot joint. To start iwth base is ablout 12" diameter tapped bolt threads are on 4" center and there is a total of 8 where ring ataches over ball. Keyed shaft is 4" at smallet diameter . Hopefully I can ad pictures . Also has 2 zerk fittings on base which I should note is solid on bottom. Thank You Jess my email is [email protected] I am having trouble finding way to add pictures and could forward some. Thanks Again

  16. #16digger242j2010-05-18 21:54

    Probationary members are unable to ad pictures or start their own threads. The whole three post requirement for probationary members is an anti-spammer measure. Since you're obviously not here to spam the board, I promoted you to full membership, so now you can post pictures, or even start your own thread to pose your question. And welcome to HEF.

  17. #17stablesmith2010-06-12 13:54

    thank you thank you I will try to post now.

  18. #18CAT D8 N2010-06-16 10:29

    Thanks