Hi everyone. Hoping there is somebody that knows shuttle trans well. I have '79 580C and lost forward; only had reverse. Tore trans. down and had to order a few parts - complete rebuild kit, primary clutch pack piston, torque converter. What I am trying to find out is if anyone can tell me from the pic, if there is supposed to be a snap ring groove and snap ring between the arrows. The edge looks like there possibly was one and maybe when the bellvue spring cracked and came undone, it ground it off? Drawings show snap ring, so thats why I am wondering. Can't afford a manual at this point - had to buy all the parts. If anyone could give some insight, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks for looking!
Welcome to HEF OVERTORQUED! & Well done on getting a picture posted :thumbsup There is a snap ring (#13) that goes between that carrier & the forward pack. However it works as a spacer & does not sit in a groove. It is fitted into the drum & should measure about .092" Item #21 is a variable snap ring to give you an assembled pack clearance of about .025" - .030"
Wow, that's fancy... What program do you use to doctor those parts pages?
Hey bowen - it's just 'paint' on microsoft
So after the last pressure plate, the snap ring just sits in there? What keeps the bellvue spring in there - seems kinda loose in there. Thanks for answering so quick. I noticed that the apply piston we replaced has been updated and changed. Maybe because of bellvue spring tearing them up?
The bellville spring does just sit in there. That's why the spacer snap ring is important. Assemble as per the picture. The springs are usually the reason most shuttles are opened up, they do have a habit of breaking up & tearing out the alloy pistons. You can safely download a service manual from Trade Bit with a small fee. It will be a good investment for you
Gotcha! Thanks so much.
OVERTORQUED; what kind of camera did you use to take the photo ?
SANYO VPC-E2100 21x optical zoom 14.0 megapixels. Very good, less expensive alternative to some of the more pricey ones.
Hi all - have another quick question... what should the Input Shaft End Play be on this?
Wow.. do you have TWO of em? A picture of the camera... That's even more impressive than the camera itself. How much end play do you have now?
Why are you asking?? Does it seem excessive or not enough? From memory .... I don't think it has a spec for it, just put it back together with the same size thrusts as you pulled out.
.065 - .070 seems a little excessive? With the other washer installed it is .030.
The only measurement I can find is that it should not exceed .086" - so it is still within spec.
I've heard the term (bellvue spring) many times. Can someone tell me what number in the photo in post #2 points to the Bellvue spring?
It's #12.
That would be #13 I believe.
Look at #12
IIRC Belleville is the name of the inventor.
Good Stuff - thanks!
Thanks guys.
Going to try and stab the monster in tomorrow, so wish me luck!
Finally got it in after a little struggling - I really hope it all went well. Haven't started it yet. Torque converter felt like it didn't want to turn at first but ok now. Hopefully no problems. Thanks to everyone for the info - very helpful. Always great to get it from the 'gurus'. Hope everyone has a great day. Thanks again.