Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hi, New to the forum

Dash_Smashem ยท 2009-06-21 11:13

Hey folks, I'm new to the forum, I'm also new to unemployement as my mine laid off a bunch of us 6/11. About 4 years ago when I first got into the mines instead of buying a Harley or Escalade I decided to buy yellow iron knowing the coal boom wouldn't last. I just had no idea that is would bottom out this quick. To date I had gotten a 580k with a 4 in 1 bucket and extend a boom, a c70 dump with snow plow and 2 trenchers. I'm thinking the next best thing to get is a stump grinder, with this I can knock door to door and offer an inexpensive service to get my foot in the door. Obviously being laid off I have a limited budget around 6000-7000 and the terrain here in WV is mountainside for a lot of the homes. Any ideas or suggestions? thanks in advance Bill Corley Fayetteville, WV

Replies4
  1. #1tippatone2009-06-21 11:50

    Welcome to the site Dash Smashem, I am sorry to hear about your job loss, i'm sure something will happen for you, just keep the energy positive

  2. #2Finish Blademan2009-06-21 14:28

    Welcome to the site from another newbie in these parts.I am sorry to hear you lost your job.Seems that a lot of fellas here lately are hunting new employment. I can`t give you much advice as my terrain is drastically different than yours.But I hope it works out for ya with your 580. Gene

  3. #3bill53622009-06-21 16:34

    Dash welcome to the forum good luck with find some work, I hope it goes well for you.

  4. #4hilltopper34w2009-06-22 22:41

    Re: Hey folks, I'm new to the forum, I'm also new to unemployement as my mine laid off a bunch of us 6/11. About 4 years ago when I first got into the mines instead of buying a Harley or Escalade I decided to buy yellow iron knowing the coal boom wouldn't last. Welcome to independence & self employment. I hope you do well. I don't know much about stump grinding in West Va. I did eat Thanksgiving dinner in a truck stop in Hazard, Ky once. I assume your hills are as steep or steeper. I would look for a solid used machine 30 to 50 HP, self propelled, manual clutch on the cutter wheel, and a reliable service / parts dealer close by. There are some likely machines on ebay & Craig's List. Take your best shot! hilltopper34w Have Stump Grinder - Will Travel Winnsboro, SC 29180