Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

High oil pressure causes

CatD6k · 2025-10-17 19:02

I have a d6k2XL WMR01029 It blew off an oil filter a few weeks ago. I changed it and kept going. It did it again yesterday so I looked up what the oil pressures should be. I found it says it should be running at idle 25psi and higher rpm 40-60psi. Mine is running 67psi when warm and at idle and 94psi at 2100rpm. I thought that it would be the oil pump so I changed it. It is still showing that it is running the higher pressures. It has the correct oil and new filter. What else could this be or do some just run higher pressures?

Replies6
  1. #1Simon C2025-10-17 22:43

    Have you tied in an oil pressure gauge in to the main oil gallery.? The pressures you recorded were taken by gauge, on the display, with Cat ET,.? The main oil gallery runs full length of the block and usually has a spare plug or 2 available to put a fitting into to take pressure checks. Would probably start with something like that. Think you have a relief valve stuck closed in the filter housing , or maybe in the oil cooler, as you state you already changed the pump. Someone with the SIS would maybe have a list of checks to start with. Simon C

  2. #2nikthewho2025-10-18 01:13

    I think restriction is at the downstream , not the pump itself. 1. Check bypass valve setting or flow capacity. use Cat filters for pressure-critical applications 2. Oil cooler restriction: Partially blocked cooler (internal debris or scale buildup) creates back pressure - thos is very common after contamination events that blow off filters 3. Blocked oil galleries: If the original filter failure allowed debris into the system, passages in the block or bearings could be partially clogged 4. Relief valve stuck/wrong spec: Main oil pressure relief could be stuck partially closed or incorrect replacement part

  3. #3Nige2025-10-18 05:16

    FYI pumps only produce flow, not pressure. The restrictions in the system are what create that. Can you elaborate a bit on that please. What oil exactly and is the filter OEM or "will fit".? It appears as though there is no bypass valve in this system. According to the SysOp the next component in the line is the cooler, so that would be the obvious place to look. At the same time it would be worthwhile looking inside the head of the oil filter (marked "A" on the illustration) that mounts pretty much right on top of the inlet to the oil cooler. See attached. " The oil flows from the oil pump through holes in the cylinder block to a plate type oil cooler located on the left-hand side of the engine."

  4. #4Coaldust2025-10-18 17:46

    CatD6k, Let’s see the exploded oil filter. Don’t tease us like this. How about some pictures?

  5. #5Nige2025-10-18 18:02

    And I forgot to include the attachment, so that text would have made no sense at all. My apologies.

  6. #6chidog2025-10-18 18:35

    Pressure regulator valve stuck.