I have a High Reach brand man lift in my shop right now. One of the electric valves has a crack in it and sprays oil when activated. It is part of a 3 valve bank on the machine. On the valve bank there is a Racine tag with the number: 97 986204 90. On the individual valve that I need there is a part number: 253348-5 cast into the valve. Along with others we have made dozens of phone calls only to be told that it is impossible to find and the machine should be scrapped. This is not an option as the machine is in top notch condition and completely refurbished. Any help would be greatly appreciated! -Josh
Long before I'd scrap the machine, I'd change the whole valve bank out for some other brand. Good luck
My first thought, strip it down, send the cracked piece to a GOOD machine shop, have them whip up a replacement out of 4140 and be off to the races. Looks like it's just a so-called "intrinsically safe" electrical over pilot hydraulic actuator for a stack valve? Cheers, Lanway
Welcome to HEF jbrown1983. :drinkup That Racine valve looks very similar to the Racine valve that JLG used on the model 40F. It's possible forum member "OFF" might either have a replacement part, or may know where you can source one. You can't send members a Private Message or email as long as your a Probationary Member, you need 3 posts to become a Junior Member and use these features. Since you're probably looking for an answer I'll go ahead and send OFF a message to view this thread. Good luck.
Welcome jbrown. yes, your broken pilot section looks identical to the Racine proportional valves used in JLG products. I used to have some spare pilot sections under a workbench, not sure if they are still there. I'll look tomorrow when I get back to work and let you know.
Great Stuff I appreciate all of the info very much. I am wondering if there are different part numbers on your JLG units that might be easier to track down. I will keep my fingers crossed for a simple fix, or someone who might have a valve or parted out unit. There are no real good machine shops around me that have that ability. I took it to my one local guy and he laughed and said I should price a new machine first... ha ha...
that kinda means he doesn't have the skill or the tools/equipment to make one. Anyway, Racine part number for that housing you need is #253443 (just the bare casting) The entire pilot section (they call it a servo section) is Racine #708150 hopefully those numbers will help you. I don't have any used ones. they either got used up or thrown out. I have a new spool section for those valves banks, and a new dump valve section but that's all. Sorry.
When you say spool section do you mean all three valves complete? At this point I wouldn't mind having extra parts.
So with more research comes more information... The lift is actually a JLG 40... not sure about the F or H... I have found a schematic and identified the most current part number as 7004817... However, everywhere I have called seems to be out of stock... any backyard parts out there?
If it's in fact a JLG, it's pretty easy to distinguish a 40F from a 40H. Got any pics of the machine that you can post?
This is the lift as it is... due for sandblasting and paint upon completion.
yup, that's a JLG 40F alright. When I said I had a spool section, I meant just 1 single section. Not the full 3 sections that make up the valve body.
This is what I need to find... I have tracked down a "current" part number as 7004817. Item #51 on the schematic... labeled as "Body, Servo"
Now that you've figured out it's a JLG 40F, try calling Eric at Best Line Equipment in Shippensburg PA, 888-321-3217. Last time I talked to him he was talking about retirement, don't know if he has retired yet or not, but he's worked at or around JLG for years and is familiar with those old machines. If Eric isn't available, talk to Jeremy.
I appreciate all of the suggestions and help thus far. I have a list of 63 places that I have called, emailed, and exchanged pictures and schematics. The general consensus... that part is no longer available, and they cannot help me. I have had a couple offers to repair the Servo Body, or manufacture a new one. At this point I am looking to buy an entire valve bank (used or new), remove the one valve section from the bank and use one of my own valves, or send the cracked Servo Body for repair or remanufacture. I have noticed that this particular valve bank is on select JLG 40F and 40H machines. I have found 3 machines that are being parted out around the nation, but none of them have the same racine proportional valve system. Needless to say my boss is not pleased with my progress, and this unit needs to move ASAP! Scrapping the machine is not an option, and we are trying to avoid any sort of deviation from the factory setup. My boss does not understand this dilemma, and I am feeling the brunt of it.
If it has the servo body on it I will buy it from you complete!
"When I said I had a spool section, I meant just 1 single section. Not the full 3 sections that make up the valve body." If it has the servo body on it I will buy it from you complete!
I have just found that those Racine Servo Sections were also on select 60H, 60H+6, 70H, 86HX, and 80HX machines. Maybe someone has one, or knows of one being parted out...???
Somewhere between 1983 & 1984 JLG switched from using Racine proportional valves to Vickers valves. Early "H" series had racine, later "H" series used vickers. I don't have a servo body, sorry.
this is all I have. A new spool section
So I am debating on removing that one section of the valve. Will the hydraulics still function properly if I remove just the one section, and then add a separate valve for the drive wheels? If so does anyone know of a good valve to use, or have one i can buy?
It could be done alright. JLG made lots of 40F's with racine solenoid valves in all functions, even drive. They had Cutler/Hammer controllers which are just on/off/on I'd leave drive on the proportional bank and change the swing or lift to a solenoid valve. You can always use a needle valve or some other restrictor to slow the function down if needed. There are some good cheap racine solenoid valves on evilbay right now that match what your 40F has. You could add one to your present solenoid stack (steer/telescope/basket level/basket swivel). http://www.ebay.ca/itm/380067035974?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_379wt_1091