I am new to the site. I am working on repairing my dads International TD-7C dozer that has been sitting for a while. I am seeing signs of water in the engine oil. What are the most likely causes of this? Could it be oil cooler located on side of block? If not, then how do I go about proving what is the problem? Thanks
Howdy and welcome! Engine oil cooler will pump oil into the coolant if it fails, not visa versa. I'd be leaning towards liner seals, or head gasket, or worst case cracked head or block... Best way to find out would be to drop the oil pan and pressurize the cooling system to see exactly where the leak/leaks is/are. Good luck!
Fist couple of things I would be wanting to know is it water or coolant, next if it is just water how long has this been sitting? If there is antifreeze in the radiator and the "water" in the oil is just water with no antifreeze in it then it probably is just condensation from sitting or worse case rain water getting in the intake or exhaust. Have you tried cranking the engine over? While a bad cooler will usually show up as oil in radiator it is possible if it started leaking from sitting a long time that water could end up in the oil pan. When running oil pressure will be higher than the water pressure but when not running oil pressure drops to zero and the weight of the coolant in the radiator will let it leak the other way. Like I said need to be sure if the "water" is just water or if it's coolant.
Might be liner pinholes caused by electrolosis. It happens a lot, especially of coolant is not looked after. If you can pull the oil pan and pressure up the cooling system you might see it. When you find which cylinder is leaking, pull that injector and roll the piston to the top. That's how I determine if it's coming from the head/head gasket or a liner. If the liner has electrolosis it's time to change all of them. YMMV.