Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hitachi 300 LC3-C Leaking oil at the swing gear

asleiman · 2018-09-18 08:36

Good morning Guys I need help with the Hitachi 300 LC 3-C leaking hydraulic oil in the Swing gear. I have been aware of the leak for a while, Now it is time to do the repair. I would like to know the procedure before II tackle this job. I have some questions : 1- how to park the machine , boom and stick 2- The hydraulic tank capacity according to the manual is 82 Gal 3- do we have to drain the tank I have read several post here regarding Hydraulic leak at the swing gear, very informative,

Replies46
  1. #1John C.2018-09-18 11:06

    When you say swing gear to you mean the gear reducer leaking into the slewing bearing tub or the swing motor leaking into the gear reducer? The motor and reducer can be pulled as one unit or separately. The hoses can be tied up in the air above the oil level in the tank if you don't want to drain it. The reducer does fit tight in the floor of the house and there are usually threaded holes for bolt to jack the reducer case free. Do as much cleaning around the reducer as you can before removing the unit. It takes a good one inch drive gun to pull those mounting bolts. If you are just pulling the motor it's usually just a couple of bolts. I used to figure no more than four hours to get the reducer out with the right tools.

  2. #2uffex2018-09-18 11:20

    Please see attached may be it will help. Kind regards Uffex

  3. #3TVA2018-09-18 11:24

    No you don’t have to drain tank, the oil that will leak would be only from hoses. First you need to clean the unit and see where the oil comes from, it may be not from unit it self but from hose or adapter, in this case you wouldn’t have to remove it.

  4. #4excavator2018-09-18 11:28

    Check the gear oil in your swing drive (reducer) first. If there is oil in there then the swing motor is not likely leaking. For the swing motor to put hydraulic oil into the swing bearing area it would have to go through the drive seal so the gear oil would also be gone. If all that looks ok then I would look at the rotary manifold where the drive hoses go through the floor. Older Hitachi's have a habit of rotary's leaking into the swing bearing area.

  5. #5TVA2018-09-18 11:39

    If it turns out that rotary manifold is leaking it is a good idea to check the slew bearing for slop.

  6. #6asleiman2018-09-18 13:53

    Just to be clear I am talking about rotary manifold , I have been loosing hydraulic oil , it has been leaking into the swing bearing . The swing Gear appear too be fine shape no leak of heavy gear oil

  7. #7TVA2018-09-18 14:08

    Well that’s easier!

  8. #8asleiman2018-09-18 14:51

    Hello TVA , are you in Alabama or TN is TV Authority

  9. #9TVA2018-09-18 15:18

    My handle is the my company’s name, have nothing to do with Tennessee river. But I do live in AL just on opposite side of the state - Mobile area!

  10. #10asleiman2018-09-18 18:02

    great I am in the Huntsville area on the border of AL TN

  11. #11TVA2018-09-18 18:04

    Yeah I kinda guessed that you from Decatur/Huntsville area!

  12. #12asleiman2018-09-19 11:13

    swing gear seeping

  13. #13asleiman2018-09-19 11:14

    here the top of the manifold

  14. #14John C.2018-09-19 14:44

    Looks like the swivel is leaking to me.

  15. #15asleiman2018-09-19 15:50

    John, there are so many names I have seen it called , according to the parts book it is call the central joint leaking into the grease tub which dilute the grease

  16. #16John C.2018-09-19 19:05

    I guess it doesn't matter what you call it as long as you know what it is and how to fix it Last one I did on a Hitachi I had to drop it out the bottom of the carbody and then tear it down. Good Luck!

  17. #17asleiman2018-09-21 12:01

    more update, would like more technical information, I opened the bottom trying to drain the tub, here isthe way it looks

  18. #18asleiman2018-09-21 12:03

    getting water out of it

  19. #19asleiman2018-09-21 12:12
  20. #20asleiman2018-09-21 12:13

    I was expecting hydraulic fluid

  21. #21asleiman2018-09-21 12:20

    please ignore the first picture that is my daughter at the dentist

  22. #22asleiman2018-09-21 12:23

    I was getting ready to pressure was it , then it rained last night , there was water on top deck i drained it , then open the access door got water as well of course there behind a blop of grease just need to be sure an headed the right way

  23. #23Bluox2018-09-21 18:16

    As you can see the swivel won't leak into the swing tub. Check between the boom feet in front of the swivel should be a plate with two bolts, this may be where water is getting in also where you grease the swing gear. Bob

  24. #24John C.2018-09-21 19:27

    The swivel appears to be dry to me. Usually if leaking out the top and to the pinion gear tub it will show on the bottom half of the swivel as well. Water will be underneath any oil that may have accumulated there. Drain all the fluid out by putting the implement on the ground opposite of the drain hole and picking the machine up some. You want all the fluid to drain to that plate. If there is no oil in there the swing bearing might just be being greased too much.

  25. #25asleiman2018-09-21 19:39

    john c do you see the early picture from the top of the deck, there is oil on top. this water from last night,s rain

  26. #26John C.2018-09-21 19:46

    The plate on the bottom that you took loose opens into the swing gear tub and is how you drain old grease and water out of the tub. The water you are draining out of the pinion gear tub in my experience has been in there a long time. The oil on top of the deck can be coming from anywhere but does look like it is from the swivel. If the swivel is leaking on the top seal in my experience it shows up underneath as well. You can mop up the oil with an absorbent pad and then run it to make sure. I'm making observations from your photos and your descriptions.

  27. #27asleiman2018-09-21 19:49

    I agree with you john, I was expecting the swivel to be wet with oil. but is dry . but the to part had oil on the deck

  28. #28asleiman2018-09-21 19:56

    your on target john. I Am new to swivel joint I have not taking one off.but this machines loosing hydraulic oil for sometimes and if parked downhill it leaks oil from swing gear on top of the frame

  29. #29asleiman2018-09-21 20:07

    oil on deck, !nother possibility from the fitting o ring

  30. #30excavator2018-09-21 20:13

    If you have only water come out when you open the bottom cover check the boot around the rotary manifold. There is a small lip on the floor plate that the boot needs to be snapped over. If you have hydraulic fluid come out when you open the bottom cover, there is only 2 ways it can get in there. If the seal in the swing motor is bad which pressurizes the swing drive and causing the seal in the swing drive to go bad, you can check this by checking the oil level in the drive, if it's empty that's likely where it went. The other way is if the rotary manifold is leaking, it can be dry down below where the hoses attach but still be leaking into the tub. The rotary manifold housing is mounted to the track frame and the post moves with the carbody. The point where they meet is in the tub area and that is where it will be leaking. Older model Deere/Hitachi machines are known for this, I've resealed many. Let me edit this just a bit. If there is a hydraulic leak up top like is shown in the picture and the rotary manifold boot is bad then yes, you will get oil in the tub just like water.

  31. #31Ronsii2018-09-21 22:29

    And to add to what excavator said... I have seen the rotary manifold boot get torn/punctured by branches it will then let water in and if you are in a climate that freezes the water can freeze and cause more problems... like destroying the seal on the swing motor gearbox for one thing. On a lot of the older hitachi/deere machines you usually find that once the RM is leaking a reseal won't last or even work unfortunately...

  32. #32asleiman2018-09-22 12:56

    good morning, I just wanted to confirm the hydraulic at the center joint. started the machine this morning got the stick vertical and put pressure enough to raise the machine. looked under it alotvof the area on top swivel were wet got hydraulic oil on them. also the swing gear bolts had hydraulic oil on them

  33. #33asleiman2018-09-23 18:38

    good afternoon to all another update , please look at the pictures.need your expert advise I pressure washed the this morning and drained all water. I took these picture on top of the swivel manifold. I think the leak is in fitting, Also please look at the rubber boot I think it is installed wrong thank you to you all look fowardbto your comment

  34. #34asleiman2018-09-23 18:40

    the rubber boot I the reason why water I going in the grease tub

  35. #35asleiman2018-09-25 14:50

    He y Bluox , Friend just a correction , the EX 300 LC at least this machine , the grease plate is in the tool box. I think the water is coming from the rubber boot on top of the manifold

  36. #36asleiman2018-09-25 14:57

    It is suppose to fit snug in couple of grooves. this one has 2 split as you see one the picutre

  37. #37asleiman2018-10-01 16:59

    Hey guys, I have been trying to to put all concerns regarding hydraulic leak , in addition to the center joint fitting seals, packing and boots. I have this crazy suspensions about the swing gear. it is holding oil mark right on the mark. but the oil is very clear. ( normally that is a good thing but in the case gear oil should colored)

  38. #38Ronsii2018-10-01 20:45

    Does it smell like gear oil?

  39. #39asleiman2018-10-01 20:53

    yes it does . my concern I want to make sure I am fixing the right problem

  40. #40Ronsii2018-10-01 23:09

    Swing gear box usually does not hold much oil so any leaking will be very noticeable on the dip stick rather quick

  41. #41asleiman2018-10-04 20:38

    thank you Ronsi, while doing all this about the center joint, the stick cylinder showed leaking. now iam trying to figure the best way stand the machine such I can rebuild both at the same time , . gona pump the fluid out into 55 gal drum etc . I have slope bank thatch can lay the boom down it give me about 6 feet more reach

  42. #42asleiman2018-10-10 22:42

    gentlemen, here is a pic of the center joint. it was a process to remove it, not much access for wrench or hammer

  43. #43asleiman2018-10-10 22:50

    used truck winch to was it down, it is scary to be under it loosening the bolts off. after hearing the story about hitting someone in the face. gona rebuild it and change the boot, and rebuild the stick cylinder

  44. #44Ronsii2018-10-11 00:41

    Good to hear you're making progress Have you opened it up yet to see if just a seal kit will work or of it has a lot of scoring/galling??? Another person on here or another forum just repaired theirs by tig welding to build up the wear then re lathed it to factory specs... pretty involved but still cheaper than a new one

  45. #45asleiman2018-12-26 20:29

    more update, rebuild center joint, all new seals and o ring

  46. #46asleiman2018-12-27 09:06

    have question the anchor that hold center joint in place just slightly off . won't fit place. do I need to start the machine and swing it enough to fall in place