I see that Yanmar excavators are quite a bit less expensive than Case. The Case salesman claims that their quality is superior overall, when you consider service and parts availability. Anybody else want to share their opinion or experience? The Case guy obviously is not disinterested. But he seems honest and has been with Case for 15 years.
I'd say go find a deere or hitachi. .lots of parts still available
What size machine are you looking for? All the current case machines are not made by case. The minis used to be Kobelcos, up to the 50 class, and now are Hyundais. The larger machines,were and still may be, made by Sumatoma. I used three Yanmar machines over the summer and liked all three models, I used a VIO45 open rops, an 80 with a cab and a 100 with a cab, not many creature comforts, but they ran smooth and I was impressed overall. They were rental machines, the 80 and 100 both had a little more than 200 hours on them and the 45 had 1200 hours and for a rental machine was still tight and smooth.
Wow, glad I asked. Case doesn't make its own machines? The sales guy didn't mention that. I like to buy American.
I'm looking for a 5-8t machine, big enough to do some serious work like pond building, but not too heavy to tow behind my F350 drw.
I'm the same way … Ride for the brand ! Even if it's 40 years old …… It aint for sale …. LOL
I've got 4 Takeuchi TB180FR, a TB53FR, and, a recently acquired Yanmar Vio55. They've all been great machines, but, the FR Takeuchi machines have a cramped cab due to the side shifting boom, and an afterthought air conditioner. As for the Yanmar, the icing on the cake is the integrated, factory installed, hydraulic bucket coupler. I researched all the minis, and the Yanmar bested them all in power and performance for the price, and parts availability isn't on a par with Caterpillar, but, I've had no issues. Takeuchi, on the other hand, has been hit or miss, but still not bad.
Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying the case machines are not good, there are plenty of people I know in plenty of people on here that have them, and are very happy. I was just giving you my personal experience. I personally own Takeuchi TB260 and I have been very happy with that. As far as buying American, I can appreciate that and would love to do the same, but its gonna be hard to find a machine that is American engineered AND actually built here, but you will probably find a machine that is put together here for sure...
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but, in my experience, Kubota, not the dealer, will NOT drop ship parts, PERIOD. I can have every other manufacturer ship from warehouse direct to me, except for Kubota.
I'm also 6'8" so cabin room is a big criteria. I'm going to see a Yanmar Vio45 soon. Most every mid to small excavator is made overseas. I just want the sales staff to be honest about that.
Any conventional tail swing machine will typically have more cabin space than a reduced or zero tail swing machine, especially in the mini/midi market.
My Vio55 has zero tail swing. And the cabin is huge inside.
5-8 ton mini?..cant imagine..my cat d4 is 6-7 ton..look for something this size i f you want a real digger
And to add..not knocking American made (sometimes assembled with parts made across borders) but nothing wrong with Japan product..same as toyota in my book
So if anybody's following this, I decided on Yanmar. I'm renting one this WE to try it. Seems Yanmar has the biggest cabs, and stronger hydraulics than Kub or Cat in this class. Plus is the Yanmar sales guy is honest and easy to work with. The Case guy never called me back...
You woke my nostalgia up! I lived 5 miles from there! Now I’m on Gulf Coast, I missed clear crisp air to breathe!
I think this comparison is kinda childish, to increase lifting power you need to do two things - either increase effective area of piston or increase pressure with the same piston size. If you increase pressure it will shorten the pumps and engine life. If you increase piston size then machine becomes slower, to catch up on speed you need bigger pump and stronger engine, and that’s a fuel consumption! IMO the only two important criteria to choose brand is how good and honest the dealer in your area and overall brand reliability. I don’t know Yanmars CE, but their AG is really good ( especially power shift transmissions ) and later models of tractors very argonomic and comfortable!
Good point about fuel consumption. I also saw a comparison of trenching performance and fuel consumption between a smaller Yanmar and several competitors. I think it was Portuguese language, which fortunately I can follow pretty well because I speak Spanish and French. I mention that because many socialist countries like France won't allow direct competitor comparisons in advertising. So Yanmar had to blur out the names on the competitors. From the colors, it sure looked like Volvo, Cat, Kubota, and a couple other I don't recognize. Anyway, the Yanmar trenched faster and consumed 15% less than the best of the others. As for the lifting comparison, it's useful to me. I have some stumps to move, and cattle guards to lift up for maintenance. Lifting power is important. Note that he compared stock machines. I'd rather not get into mods on my CE. Now, my 7.3 Powerstroke pickup, well, that's another story! 180% single shot injectors, Banks exhaust, a Hydra tuner, big fuel/air, all the good mods. Smokes the tires in 1 and 2, leaves new 6.7s in the dust. ;-)
That’s what I wanted to add and forgot: it’s all depends on what kind of work you planning on doing. Looks like they resolved the lifting power issue is by adding one more smaller cylinder ( increase piston size) and I assume it’s only comes on when you need extra boost. It is a smart solution. I would like to know weather those smaller cylinders still pushing oil back and forth, or have some kind of a oil injection system for lubricating seals if they don’t? The con is still additional components which can go bad and cost money, and there’s a little loss on friction.
"Adding one more smaller cylinder"???? No idea what you see or mean there. Please enlighten me.
Pretty sure he's mistaking the piston guard of the boom cylinder for another cylinder.
I can give you one more option. Try "Cat Excavators"
Look at the video!
A, OK so those are piston guards?! Thanks now I know ‘
Actually as far as I knew Case has “boost” option too, and can lift things OK.
As always, there a tremendous number of factors in an equipment purchase. With that said, my new Vio80 should be here in 3 weeks
I have had one for a year, not a single issue so far.
Almost no one makes their own excavators. The case mini excavators are made in Italy at their own plant but have either yanmar or Kubota engines. The midi excavators are Hyundai The full size are made by sumitomo. Deere excavators are actually hitachi. Link-Belt are also made by Sumitomo. The Japanese make excavators very very well and it’s the reason lots of companies white box their excavator lines. Everything else Case sells is made in the US with the exception of the motor graders and mini wheel loaders which are also made in Italy.
The only manufacturer building its own excavators complete is Komatsu. As far as printed advertising comparisons go the paper they are printed on is worth more than any info that might be printed on the page. As least the paper might be used to wipe your bum. The person in the seat has as much to do with production as the designers and engineers. Your best comparisons are made while sitting in the seat and making the machine produce. The questions you should be asking concern cost of operation. How much does it cost for a hydraulic filter and where do you have to go to get one.? Who are you going to call when a hydraulic cylinder starts leaking? What kind of fittings are on the hydraulic hoses used on the machine and where can those parts be sourced and what will they cost? Is this a rubber track machine? Is it special to this machine and where can replacements be sourced and at what cost compared to other machines? Where are you going to find steel tracks if you need them and what will they cost? What about the operators seat? Is it made for a 130 pound asian man or a 250 pound person that's over six feet tall? Are the control valves in the machine accessible to fix leaks, make adjustments or modifications? What about attachments? Are you going to use a quick coupler? Does the machine have the hydraulics to operate one? Do you want a hydraulic thumb or grapple with a rotate circuit? Many excavators today no longer come with the extra spool to run them. You have to pay extra for it! Where can I obtain a hydraulic pump and who will know how to adjust the system when there are problems. Who made the engine and will it be covered by the machine dealer or will you have to deal with the engine manufacturer. Is the cab a ROPS of a FOPS unit. If it gets dented will it have to be replaced, are any available and at what cost. It is an aggravation point for me because lot of people throw BS at everyone to confuse the real issues of ownership and make themselves appear to know more than they actually do.
Doesn’t any machine with a ROPS have to get it replaced if it gets dented or otherwise damaged? I thought they were like kids car seats, any impact and it needs to be replaced as it’s now not 100% in spec?
Some excavators don't have a ROPS cab and damaged doesn't matter. Local Cat dealer wasn't informing their customers that new mini's all have ROPS on them now. Nor did they inform customers that new replacement cabs weren't available.
I have a yanmar SV08 mini. It's simple and will run forever. Likely way too small for pond work but it will dig a 4 foot deep trench in a hurry.
I own 2 Yanmar’s no problems and the quick connect pin grabber is awesome A lot of other brands have Yanmar power
What's the most common size yanmar excavator good for general work. I usually rent t135 or t145 tak machines. Usually need a size perfect for septic system install, basement digging, and three foot wide trench digging. Need to able to haul behind a diesel f350. Want a mass popular size. Nothing odd. I am open to Yanmar even though my fleet of machines is always cat or deere with exceptions. What Yanmar size is best? I am ok with reasonably used as well. I mechanic on my own machines and condition over year model is an ok perspective. How many hours is too much? Price range? I wish I could get a size and class that I could later update to a tiltrotator design. A pump strong enough for various attachments such as bushhogg etc.... I am In georgia USA. I hear there is a Yanmar headquarters in the state. Shouldn't be hard to get parts and prices should be on par with cat and deere?