I have a 120-2 hitachi that i recently bought. Went to take off the oil cooler to fix a leak and found alot of metal in the bottom line. So I cleaned the hyd. tank and all new filters, and flushed the oil cooler out. It was a bunch of metal in cooler. Very little in tank but some. Came to conclusion that it was from a previous catastrophe either pump or cylinder. Machine runs strong and fast now. I just trying to figure out what to do. Do you think that it will be fine or should i get rid of it. Thanks for info. Metal is magnetic
Keep her going, but check hyd tank daily with a magnet, its probably debris from a previos breakdown, listen out for whineing noises, a machine will run faster and smoother with new oil and filters, it could be the breakdown remains of a rod end that came back trough a cylinder, or qorst case a pump starting to die, I have had grubscrews come loose on rams and nut loosens and destroys cylinder and rod and fills up filters with metal, are your rams dry? Also check the temp of the hyd oil and pump?
Take an oil sample and ask the lab to analyze for metals (which will generally be particles of 5 microns or smaller) and for ISO particle count (particles larger than 5 microns). You should be aiming for an ISO Cleanliness Code of 18/15 or lower for an hydraulic system in good condition. If you're not sure what the particle count numbers mean when you get the lab report back post again and I can try to help you. Is there any way of finding out if the machine had a catastrophic cylinder or pump failure when it was in the hands of the previous owner ..??
wondering if you might be able to help me out with another problem. The hitachi came with a diff. kind of bucket cylinder i think it came off of a jd 490(just judging by the color). Would you happen to know the inside diameter and outside of the rod end on the 120 machines. Tried the dealer but, of course they did not want to help.
The rod end bushen is 65mm I think thats about 3inches roughly in america, if you have a different bucket ram, then I am almost certain, the grubscrew came loose on origional the nut loosened bashing and scoring the internal cylinder barrell, the debris made its way back to the tank and cooler, this happens when a ram is reconditioned antge grubscrew is firgotten or not tightened, but normally a new ram and a clean out of the system sorts the problem. The rod thickness I think is about 70_80mm.
65 mm would be 2.559" or just over 2 1/2"