Hey Guys, I was running my EX60 today clearing a roadway thru the forest on my property. 45 minutes in I noticed 3 oil patches on the ground about 5 feet apart and oil on my track. It was engine oil and the engine oil is now gone. Ill be getting more oil tomorow but I wonder if anyone has any suggestions. I removed the bottom panel to look for obvious signs, none, The spray seemed to be on the inside or between the engine and cab, outside (or right side if looking forward to the rad) was clean. Isnt coming from the top (and why would it) and the vent hose from the valve cover doesnt seem to be the culprit. I plan to fill it with oil and run it tomorrow and hope to see where its belching from. Anyone encounter something like this.
U sure it wasnt hydrolic oil?
Well it was black, and my engine oil dip stick shows nothing. Would hydraulic oil be so very very black?
Does it turn over today?
Just a wild guess but either the oil filter has blown off or a cooler line let go. Good luck with it and let us know how you go. Chris Brisbane Australia.
i have the manual, if you need anything from it let me know, did a light come on for low oil pressure ?
Thanks guys, My bet is a cooler line blew off too, (oil filter was my 1st guess but its fine). I have the operators manual for it, but thanks for that offer LUC2121. Ill be filling it up and starting in a couple of hours and let ya know the results. Bought lots of oil, figuring the 1st fill will give me the location and when fixed Ill need the 2nd
OK fired it up and it runs fine, oil did start to LEEK again, as well as I could see it was leeking near the Fuel primer pump, I went in with a mirror but that didnt help much, If anyone is familiar with these, there is a block that houses the injector feed lines and the primer pump on the left hand side of the engine, the motor oil seems to be leeking quite a bit from this area although I could see exactly were. Anyone know if there is an oil line there or if engine oil goes thru this block as some function? Ill be getting a better mirror in the next few days to help see better
what year is this machine? Can you take a photo?
Its a 1991 with isuzu 4 cyl.deisel. Ive got a video of the machine in action at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yil6UL_SI4A Or do you mean a photo of the leak, which would be very hard to get a shot of. I got to see better where it leaks, if you divide the injector pump assembly into 3 peices lower, middle and top (top is were the injector feeds are). The leak seems to be from the gasget between the middle and top unit
blown diaphragm in the lift pump?
Thanks for the advice Bill, is this an expensive repair if it fact thats what it is. Im nervous about taking the injector pump off the unit myself, do you think its something I could do and diagnose, or do I need a pro. I am mechanically inclined, just dont have experience with these units.
Isuzu 4Le1 Isuzu is it ?
Its a 1991 machine with a 4JB1 RH engine.
Some reference pictures of the engine and pump itself
That is an inline Zexel pump, so where do you think the oil is coming from? There is a small oil feed line that runs from the oil galley on the side of the block to a banjo fitting on the side of the pump, this is how the injection pump gets its oil. The oil then drains out the front of the pump where it mounts to the engine and back into the pan. It is possible that the fittings on the oil line are loose or the line is cracked. Let mew know thanks Tony.
Yes it appears to be seeping from the gasget area, just above that small banjo bolt, I tried tightening the banjo bolt but it was already tight. So it could be were the banjo bolt attaches to the pump block, Guess I should get a pro in at this point.
Both 10 mm bolts on top cover were very very loose. 1 could be turned by hand. Tightened both and the leak has stopped from the gasget. Still some dripping but it may be the oil shaking off the engine from the original leak. Gonna clean er up and see. Spirits are high though
Removed cover and found rubber gasget has 3 cracks or small tears in the middle of the gasget. Right where the dimples on the cover are. Going to replace gasget .
Did you get the bolt out??
No, 1 bolt that is broken, is just too hard to get a drill bit to. Gonna have to get a mechanic to remove the pump to get at the bolt properly.(dont wanna mess up the timing) Going to replace both bolts and gasget . Would love to remove the pump myself but sounds like its not a good idea for the inexperienced.
Need EX100 service manual for isuzu engine I have found that the ex60 is of course a grey market machine. The service manuals here for the 60 are with a Nissan engine. Mine has a Isuzu, this is the same engine as the EX100 units. So if anyone has a service manual for the EX100 with Isuzu 4 cyl engine that would be of great hepl to me.
Engine in Ex100 is a 4DB1
Pm me your Email Address and I will send you the info on 100 timing.
Hey 3Doc, could i have the info also as i may have to do one in the near future also! Would be greatful! CPS
As long as your marks all line up when you are on TDC then there is no need to spill time the pump as in the instructions. Only if it is out of time do you need to do this. Just put crank on TDC mark and check that pump widow is lined up then remove pump and have it repaired, do not turn engine, when pump comes back it should be at the same location and just install with all three marks lined up then fire it up!