Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hitachi EX100-3, does anyone know the equivalent John Deere excavator?

2th-doc ยท 2016-01-09 22:56

Hi, does anyone know the answer? I am suspect that it is the John Deere 490e or the 190e. I do know the engines in the jd are different than the hitachi, but everything else is the same. I am hoping someone will know. The 490e cab, interior and controls look exactly the same but this is just from comparing pictures on the net. Thanks in advance! I know very little about heavy equipment so any help would be great!

Replies24
  1. #1Tags2016-01-09 23:47

    I'm fairly certain the Deere equivalent to the EX100 was the 290. A cab from a 490 may very well be the same as an EX100 and a 290 as well but I'm not sure about anything else.

  2. #2lantraxco2016-01-10 00:39

    The 490D was an EX120-? 3 maybe. The straight 490 would have been the -2?

  3. #32th-doc2016-01-10 07:58

    Thanks for the reply. I can't find a good picture of the 290 (showing interior), I will post some pictures of my unit later today. The main thing I am looking at is the controls and instrument layout as well as some other general features I noticed, all just visual comparison. It is a 1995 machine. I am sure someone has a Deere and that is the same. Again I appreciate the help! Are the letter designations on the Deere models just different years? Thanks

  4. #4lantraxco2016-01-10 14:07

    The letters coincide with the dash numbers from Hitachi, so for instance when Hitachi made the change to a -5, Deere went to D or E? Square cab with the long sticks coming out of the floor?

  5. #52th-doc2016-01-10 18:11

    Pictures of my hitachi ex100-? She is grey market with no ssn or tag, it was purchased about ten years ago buy an older fellow who lives near me. He buys a lot and uses little. I have had it a month and I am going through cleaning out the fuel tank and changing filters, checking fluid levels. It works fine with no known problems. The sticker on the side is ex100 Landu V. I figured if I could find the corresponding JD machine it would make my life easy. He told me he was told it was a ex100-3. And I have an operators manual for it.... But several of these mChines look exactly alike. Here comes some pictures if I can figure it out! To me it resembles the 490e more than anything I have found. But understand I know nothing about these..except I love it! Ha.

  6. #62th-doc2016-01-10 18:15

    Picts Here are a few more.

  7. #72th-doc2016-01-10 18:19

    Just learning how to post pictures... Just learning how to post pictures...

  8. #82th-doc2016-01-10 18:21

    I was told it is a 1995. Tag is on hydraulic pump.

  9. #92th-doc2016-01-13 07:10

    Serial number is 12s-35506. If any one can help me I.D. This machine I would appreciate it. Hell I don't even know if it is a dash 2 or 3. I am sure someone has an idea or can at least point me in the right direction.

  10. #102th-doc2016-01-13 21:01

    Update**Just searching for hitachi 12s serial number will show other models of the 100-3 with the same prefix. The Serial number for the hitachi sold in the east (Japan, Australia, China ) seems to have a different format than ones sold in North America . Mine doesn't have the data plate so it took some digging to figure this out. I also found out it was originally owned by Chuck Lee (brother of Bruce Lee) and used in two movies " Enter the Dragon" & "Muppets take Manhattan" (it's the one Kermit is driving). The internet never lies.

  11. #112th-doc2016-01-14 20:50

    Ok, now I know there is no one reading this... I should of called it a Kardashian EX100-3...... Or maybe power ball? Yeah, that's the ticket..

  12. #12backhoe12016-01-14 20:59

    I don't think JD made an equivalent to that machine. they quit the 290 with the D series late eighties or very early nineties. Most Deere dealers are also Hitachi dealers so knowing the JD equivalent isn't gonna help you 1 bit. It is a grey market machine and it will be a PITA anytime you need to get parts. Finding out the Hitachi dash number is gonna be way more helpful.

  13. #13lantraxco2016-01-14 21:39

    There's just not a lot of information out there about this model. Wasn't there a guy on here from up in Canada maybe that knew everything there was to know about Hitachi? Dr. something?

  14. #14Andrew_D2016-01-15 18:10

    Dash panels look the same/similar to our JD 790E. But of course your machine is smaller. Our JD has the Deere engine. Andrew

  15. #15Andrew_D2016-01-15 18:25

    I found this PDF: http://www.hydraulicrepair.net/pdfs/HRD_Excavator_Parts_Book.pdf . It shows component part numbers. Perhaps you can match up with numbers on your machine to cross reference it?? Andrew

  16. #16hosspuller2016-01-16 16:17

    Just a point. There is a factory in NC that makes Deere and Hitachi excavators. It's a joint venture. The machines are the same except for the paint and engine. Deere uses their own engine and the Hitachi machines get an Isuzu engine. Your grey market machine may be an orphan without siblings in the USA.

  17. #172th-doc2016-01-18 07:01

    Thanks for the help! I know it is and ex100-3. I have changed all the filters etc and I will post the JD filter numbers for anyone else. I haven't found that finding parts is a problem at all. I just tell the Deere people what I need and it seems to happen.... But I am not a pro and I use this just to do projects around my farm. In a world where 9/10 of everything comes from overseas I wouldn't feel it would be a problem. I've been told that every John Deere tractor except the 100hp ones are made in India. Are there no 490e guys out there who can post some detailed pictures? Or even 290 owners as Backhoe mentioned. I appreciate the replys!

  18. #182th-doc2016-01-18 07:03

    Andrew & hoss/// great info thanks.

  19. #192th-doc2016-01-18 08:31

    I guess my reasoning for finding the Jd equivalent is to get a test/repair/parts manual. I have an operator's one but it just covers maintenance.

  20. #202th-doc2016-01-18 08:58

    The place in NC for Deere-Hitachi is in kernersville, nc (near Greensboro ) Www.dhkernersville.com It seems by their site that Deere joined with hitachi 20 years ago. I am sure I can get some info from them, or I will try and let my fellow HEF members know how it goes. If a member has a test manual for the ex100-3 let me know. Thanks.

  21. #212th-doc2016-01-18 13:39

    Ok fellows, he is the scoop on getting manuals for any grey market machine and possibly any other type you want. Www.tradebit.com , I got the parts catalog, repair/test manual in English about 76 mb of data, 500 page manuals for..... Wait for it..... About 30$, in about 30 sec.

  22. #222th-doc2016-01-18 13:50

    Tradebit manuals for your Grey, Pink or Blue machines! Here are some pictures.....

  23. #232th-doc2016-01-18 14:07

    Put the PDF on your iPad and you will never have another boring moment on the john again.... Unless you read faster than me!

  24. #242th-doc2016-01-18 14:13

    Tradebit download screen shot Screen shot