Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hitachi ex30 starter no power after replacing

antony_o_donnell@hot · 2024-01-14 06:56

Hi lads , I got someone to replace my starter with a new one when o was away from home but when I came back to see how it was going my friend had the starter all wires on and bolted with earth but no power when I went too turn the key . I check main earth that’s bolted too the starter and wires too see if they are correct Il send picture below I checked was there power getting down too the starter but I’m getting 12.3 bolts and it stops at the isolator block before the starter and nothing coming on the wire from isolator too starter I’m not sure is it even an isolator it’s a round metal thing that splits the cables beside the starter

Replies19
  1. #1Vetech632024-01-14 07:33

    The top big post should be hot full time. The red/white wire is hot only from the start position of the ignition switch. Is that big black battery cable the positive? Usually those are red in most cases.

  2. #2antony_o_donnell@hot2024-01-14 07:41

    Yeah that big black wire is coming from the isolator then up to the battery . Or I think is an isolator I’m not sure looks like it there no power coming from it il get a picture of it

  3. #3antony_o_donnell@hot2024-01-14 08:07
  4. #4Diesel Dave2024-01-14 10:36

    Shown in the picture is the battery relay. It is to close with key on. The white plastic piece that is tie wrapped is a fusible link. Any chance the terminal on the loose black wire broke off from one of the large posts ?

  5. #5antony_o_donnell@hot2024-01-14 10:42

    That black cable that has no end is broke and sitting with no end ? Where is it suppose too go

  6. #6Diesel Dave2024-01-14 10:47

    Looking at the battery relay , what terminal has the cable coming directly from the battery ?

  7. #7antony_o_donnell@hot2024-01-14 10:48
  8. #8Diesel Dave2024-01-14 10:52

    Is the left side post or the right side post connected directly to the battery ?

  9. #9antony_o_donnell@hot2024-01-14 10:52

    Are you saying this wee black wire broke off the right terminal on the picture above

  10. #10antony_o_donnell@hot2024-01-14 10:54

    The right side post !! the left goes too the starter

  11. #11Diesel Dave2024-01-14 10:56

    Ok ,try connecting the small black wire to the right side post.

  12. #12antony_o_donnell@hot2024-01-14 10:57

    Il do that now ,gimme a few mins m8

  13. #13Simon C2024-01-14 11:00

    That power relay is controlled by a small wire, that will get its power from the key switch to turn everything on, from my experience. Can not say for sure if that wire hooks up to the large post or to an excitation terminal on the relay. That relay is excited by a small wire. If the relay is case grounded, it has only one small wire to control its being on or off. If it is wire grounded it will have 2 small wires hooked up to it. Simon C

  14. #14antony_o_donnell@hot2024-01-14 11:51

    I have power now at the ignition just clicking but I thing my earth strap is not making connection on starter bold I will clean it now

  15. #15antony_o_donnell@hot2024-01-19 03:58

    Hi sorry for late reply , I got it going since you mentioned that small black wire mounted it on the battery relay .it must of activated the circuit then .thanks for the keen eye pal

  16. #16antony_o_donnell@hot2024-01-19 04:02

    I might have another quiry for you , dropper not engauging with key

  17. #17Vetech632024-01-19 08:48

    Check your fuses first. 1 wire will have power from ignition, 1 will be ground, and the other will have power from the start signal.

  18. #18antony_o_donnell@hot2024-01-19 08:58

    Where are they located on the 1997 ex30 -1

  19. #19Diesel Dave2024-01-19 09:58

    EX30 ELECTLIC PARTS (1) Hitachi HOP online avspare.com