Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Slow starter while battery is good

Guto · 2024-01-14 15:31

Hi, I would apreciate your thoughts on this problem: I have one of those chinese mini excavators (HT10 with Koop KD192f diesel motor). I recently couldn't get it to start while motor was warm, the starter seems to turn too slow. What we checked/tried so far: 1-the battery is ok (12,70 volts) ,also tried starting with jumpcables. 2-Diesel is inside fueltank and motor(we see some fumes coming out the exaust while trying to start) 3-We tried to start with starter fluid, no luck 4-There is no air in the fuel pipes (loosend the nut, fuel was seeping out) 5-Air filter and oil is clean 6-Throttlecable(?) seems right 7-I see one fuse which looks good ... The machine has only worked for 9 hours (!) I will remove back and side pannels to have a better look at everything... Do you have an idea what the cause could be please?

Replies4
  1. #1ahart2024-01-14 15:54

    I would probably start by load testing the battery, if the Chinese build batteries like they build other things, 9 hrs could be the lifespan. If the battery is good, I’d see how much current the starter is drawing. Obvious things like cable connections should also be checked.

  2. #2funwithfuel2024-01-14 17:13

    I'd check all grounds and measure voltage drops from battery out to starter.

  3. #38V712024-01-15 12:11

    Can you bar the engine over easily (with out excessive force)

  4. #4cfherrman2024-01-15 12:41

    Hook the boosters directly to the starter, might have a loose connection or broken wire