Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hitachi Hydraulic Conversion Kit help needed

cinahcem · 2024-06-20 09:19

Hi i have a EX220-3 hitachi excavator that i'm putting the electric to hydraulic conversion on. I need some help with some of the vague instructions. When putting the fitting in at the control valve, you have to remove the plug but do you have to remove the little valve down in there? It's the first page of the following instructions.

Replies14
  1. #1Kobe Steel2024-06-20 22:33

    Hello Sir I believe this pdf is the same as your copy but your copy may be worded slightly different. It does state to remove the valve. Best regards

  2. #2cinahcem2024-06-24 12:05

    Those instructions are way better, the only other thing was on page 11 where it shows the bottom stopper to be installed. On page 9 it shows three different diagrams and for the ex220-3 it doesn't show it's used for it, i am just curious if that is correct. Thank you

  3. #3Kobe Steel2024-06-24 14:58

    The stopper plate that is provided in the modification kit does not have a hex stem installed. The original pump stoppers for both -2 and -3 models do have have a hex stem on the stopper plate. I would recommend installing the stopper plate that is provided with the kit. This stopper sets up the pumps maximum flow stop setting which is being modified as part of the conversion kit. I do have my own theory as to why they modify the stopper but that's going off topic a little. Kind regards

  4. #4cinahcem2024-06-24 15:32

    Ok, i definitely would like to hear that theory, also would you know what system pressure should be?

  5. #5Kobe Steel2024-06-25 06:35

    I only have a reference for EX200-3 for system relief pressures but this should be close if not identical to your model. I think the response time and dampening of the pump stroke to its maximum displacement may change due to the modification made to the stopper and also the modification from the solenoid configuration to the mechanical pressure compensating regulator but I'm not certain and it is just a theory I thought of.

  6. #6cinahcem2024-07-22 12:20

    Sorry for the late reply, but your info was very helpful, machine is working good with the conversion.

  7. #7Cryil Noble2025-01-28 07:00

    Hi , I installed thd kit on my 1993 ex200-3 years ago , it’s been painful , I now have realized that the only way to tolerate using the machine is with all washers removed , but main boom and swing simultaneously still will make the engine stall. My new things to try is to try to find a little weaker spring to replace the one in the small valve body that came with the kit, it’s still stroking too fast , or my next idea is to modify the stopper (make it stick up higher to stop the stroke from going so far , has anyone tried this method of not allowing the stroke to go fully open? And has anyone found similar springs for the valve body but a little weaker ???

  8. #8Kobe Steel2025-01-31 02:43

    I would suggest starting from the beginning, which may seem a bit pointless at first, but you may possibly find another issue that is not actually related to the conversion kit you have installed. Double check your kit installation and try checking signal pressures and flow regulation of the pump with a flow meter and loading valve. I had once installed one of these kits to a pump that had been reconditioned with aftermarket parts. The pump when tested would not regulate and cause an engine overloading fault. The pumps aftermarket headcover was actually the issue and not the conversion regulator kit. Many hours spent looking for an issue outside of the pump when it was in fact the pump itself. Best regards

  9. #9mgray2025-05-05 21:41

    Does anyone on here have pics of the control valve set up with the regulator conversion kit on an ex200lc-3? Supposedly the dp sensor is replaced with this adapter sent with kit.

  10. #10mgray2025-05-05 21:47

    My set up. Ex200lc-3. Correct or not?

  11. #11cinahcem2025-05-05 22:08

    That’s the same as what I did on my conversion

  12. #12mgray2025-05-05 22:26

    Mine still pulls the engine down real bad when hydraulic functions are demanded. Does yours work fine. I have an ex120-3 with the same regulator and it works flawlessly. Don't know what I'm doing wrong on this one.

  13. #13Kobe Steel2025-05-07 05:07

    just keep an open mind to the possibility that what you have done for the regulator set up maybe correct and that the issue could be within the pump itself. The valve plate assembly in these pumps are common to pick up in the headcovers and they tend to bind which stops the pump from changing its displacement when under load and this then leads to engine overloading. Best regards

  14. #14Cryil Noble2025-09-08 07:36

    Kobe, u seem to have a good understanding of these conversation kits, there seems to be quite a lot off them in use now but knowledge and troubleshooting still very limited to your knowledge is there any forums or mechanics that specialize in these kits? I Jane tried everything with mine but still trying to pump too much oil even with all springs removed , have u heard off a spring for the regulator that is a little weaker? Also would adding height to the stopper plate help? Thanks