Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hitachi UH04 9 Tonne

FarmerAlex ยท 2010-12-30 16:12

Anyone heard of these machines?? And are they any good? Cheers Alex

Replies31
  1. #1TD-52010-12-30 21:46

    There was a UH045 that some independant dealers imported into western Canada. UH045, from the books I have were built 1979 to about 1987. Friend still has an early 80s model his late father bought near new for his contracting bussiness. Not sure if this is the same machine as you have in Australia or not. Model #'s seem to vary slightly depending on where they ended up in the world.

  2. #2tootalltimmy2010-12-31 20:24

    I was told that the steel used for the boom and stick was very poor quality and weak on those old Hitachi.

  3. #3Wardiker2011-01-01 00:34

    what year? how many hours on it?

  4. #4FarmerAlex2011-01-02 05:27

    Heres a picture of it, dont know the year etc, on its a 9 tonne. Any help would be very much appreciated Cheers Alex

  5. #5FarmerAlex2011-01-02 05:30

    Heres another pic of it

  6. #6mark g2011-01-02 06:43

    pretty old and you'd want to get it fairly cheap. go a jap import 25000 you get a good machine with 3 to 4 thousand hours on it. depends on what work your aiming at too.

  7. #7stumpjumper832011-01-02 08:32

    I'd be checking if I could get things like swing motors for it. There is a uho 83 over here, about to go to the torches because a used swing motor commands 10k if you can find them. I'd also then to think that you should be looking at a newer machine if you intend to compete commercially. Market share of that class machine is now swing & articulating boom designs, backfill blades, auxillary hydraulics and thumbs. Around the farm, she would probably do you good, but I don't see you competing very well against a komatsu pc75's, deere 85's, and such

  8. #8old digga2011-01-02 21:30

    hey alex uh's are great for farms verry basic machines easy to fix minimal electrics how ever when buying the first one take a mate who has delt with excavators before it will save a lot of troble later

  9. #9nzpatch2011-01-03 04:55

    wow thats a old digger to start with . any newer diggers will run rings around you with a blade,tilt bucket/and speed. maybe a ex70 or ex110/120 or 312a cat would be a better bet? good luck.

  10. #10FarmerAlex2011-01-03 06:21

    Gday, i had a feeling that machine was not really what i was looking for. Anyone have any experience with a Hitachi EX 120??? there seem to be a few around. Just wondering peoples thoughts on Hitachi machines Cheers Alex

  11. #11rgl7262011-01-03 08:34

    if you really want the UH04 machine find the dash 7. this machine is a dash 3. the one on top is the dash 7. UH04 is a reliable machine with no electronics on it. but this machine moves slower than the computered machine.

  12. #12mike694402011-01-16 11:51

    I'd pass on that one

  13. #13FarmerAlex2011-01-18 18:56

    Gday all, the bloke has dropped the price by 5k now. Is there anyway i could make it a super machine?? I am not familiar with excavators but i believe all the engine does is drive pumps. If that is so could i put on a much bigger engine and pump setup. Maybe something off and older 30 tonne machine? At the price hes asking i could come out with a pretty good machine if i completely refurbish it all. Most i know will say, steer well clear of this machine, i know its older and superseded, but with some modifications can i improve the performance. Many thanks Alex

  14. #14FarmerAlex2011-01-18 19:00

    This is what the bloke is giving with it: Three buckets One spare ram One spare hydraulic pump One extension arm Your thoughts please cheers Alex

  15. #15stumpjumper832011-01-18 21:34

    The reason he is dropping the price like its going out of style is because your his only interested party he has had in awhile... My offer for that machine would not be higher than the prepared price for scrap metal... because with an older machine you run the real risk of breaking the unfindable or outrageous. With enough time, patience, skill and money you can do anything you want to that machine, I would caution against overpowering it though because you may actually tear it apart due to way more power than the machine was designed for coupled with old age and wear. Also you are putting yourself at risk. Increasing the hydraulic power increases front load capacity, but if you swing over the side it might make you tumble or force you to drop a load where you don't want to.

  16. #16kneelo2011-01-20 01:03

    Replacing the engine and pump will give you more speed but won't give anymore digging force (power) unless you increase the hydraulic operating pressures and doing this will almost certainly kill it. I think I saw in an earlier thread you are looking at bulk earthmoving and stump removal type work and if this is the case I would definitely go for something bigger. 20-30t machines are pretty popular for that type of thing in WA and I think about the right size IMO. I wouldn't go any smaller than this for removing stumps as you do need a far bit of grunt to get most stumps out in a reasonable sort of time. This machine might be ok if this is just a one off job on the farm and you don't mind it taking a lot longer than it should. It would also be worth scoping out the parts situation unless you can accept that if/when something breaks it might be so expensive or impossible to get replacement parts that its not worth repairing... The swing and final drives come to mind first. How much are we talking out of interest?

  17. #17FarmerAlex2011-01-20 19:52

    Gday kneelo, just to clarify what i was thinking of, was to increase the fluid flows for the machine, NOT the pressure. From what i have gathered on here the machine is slower in its cycle times rather than the force it can exert. Please correct me if i'm wrong. The asking price is 9k plus gst. Sorry these might seem silly questions to more experienced operators but as a newbie to these types of heavy equipment its better to ask then get stuck with a machine that can't do what i want. The hardest part to know is getting a bigger machine is ok, but for other work its over capitalizing, so i'm trying to find a machine that is good for the medium sized work, but is not too big that its a hassle to get into places. Any suggestions please Alex

  18. #18roadrunner812011-01-20 22:20

    FarmerAlex that machine looks to be a pre 80's model. I saw in another post or thread that it may need a track motor, have you priced that out? I bet that may cost half the asking price to rebuild. That machine is pretty old to expect 8+ hrs. a day from. As others have said, it may work for the farm. Doing any modifications will probably cost you more money and time than the machine is worth. Its possibly another story if you just wanted to make everything work as it was designed to but that depends on parts availability. It sounds as you may have some work lined up, have you thought what it might take as far as time to have this machine ready for work? As far as price, I'm not sure how your money compares to the US dollar but 9K is about twice as much as I see a machine of the vintage being worth. Maybe you could find a mid 80's uh 045 or an EX100 that wouldnt be to much more and more dependable and easier to find parts for.

  19. #19Wardiker2011-01-20 22:47

    I have a Hitachi EX60 URG, 1991, 4000 hrs, paid 14k and replaced all the filters and do very regular maintenance. I had never dealt with these machines before I bought it. I did a lot of homework and sizes and my competition up here in northern Canada. The large machines Ex120 and above were plentiful and charged about $120+ hr. Smaller ones were many as well and charged $45 hr. Work I had on my 10 acres were removing pine beetle kill and roads, drainage and a foundation. Much of the work around here is just that (its known as cottage country). My machine can get into tight places without destroying the land or good trees, but it can do larger jobs as well. The small ones take too long and make a mess a a result of this. My machine will do a faster job and allow me the time to do a proper cleanup for the same cost. I charged $85hr and made my money back the 1st summer. As a result Ive had little time to do my own jobs but now that its paid for, its all gravy. Take a look at my youtube video for a taste of what it did my 1st time on it, just type "wardiker" in the search. Hope this helps its sounds like we are in similar situations. Dont let cost make you fall in love with a machine be critical and willing to walk away the right one will come up.

  20. #20kneelo2011-01-21 07:25

    If the machine is going to see a bit of work I think it will ultimately work out cheaper and easier to buy something a bit newer... There seems to be quite a few machines advertised on constructionsales.com.au that are sub $30k that while being high hours are probably a better bet if you can stretch that far.

  21. #21Anto Modded2011-01-23 18:32

    Machine looke tidy but is old and you got to allow for if something fails, how quick can you get a part. It happens new machines. I would say a ex60 or ur75 or similar around 1995 up..............Other thing is confort, may sound strange but servo's are great and so are newer seats etc, confort is another factor to consider

  22. #22thebaz2011-01-24 18:54

    This is something where it is a little hard to make the best decision because the price is so low. The problem is that a cheap price on something that will never really measure up ends up being expensive in the long run. As many have said. A later model machine will be faster, stronger, more comfortable, more reliable, and more repairable if it does break down. Modifying motors and pumps can be an expensive and unfruitful exercise, you are better off with the many used machines that will do the job in stock form. The only way a machine like this is good value is if you have a specific short term task for it, pay scrap value for it, then sell it for what you paid for it when the job is finished. This is like playing Russian roulette, (because it eventually die on someone) but at least you can get scrap value for it, so you still don't lose.

  23. #23mark g2011-02-04 17:00

    you could hire a machine for the jobs you've got and still make money. bloke i know had a 5 ton komatsu that engine needed to be replaced in so they increased size of the engine while they were at it. 12 grand it cost with all the stuffing around trying to make it fit etc. owner thinks he should have just sold it.

  24. #24Diggaman2011-03-26 04:58

    I do belive this is would possibly be what is known as a Uh04-2 from the mid to late 70's.....

  25. #25Pepe2012-06-01 20:56

    Hi Alex, Just wondering if the seller has a workshop manual for the UH045. I have a UH041 9 tonner and looking for a workshop manual or slew info as mine won't brake on the turn. They run a good 4BB1 Isuzu motor in them so think similar to mine. Theres a few in NZ.

  26. #26RayF2012-06-02 10:23

    I spent a bit of time on a UH04 in Melbourne in the late 70's.It was a sturdy and reliable machine.It had 6 levers in front of you knees. The two middle ones were the travel and the other four were the swing,boom,stick and bucket control.You worked two with your hands and the other two had foot pedals on them. I forget exactly how it worked but I reckon I could pick it up again in 5 minutes

  27. #27jim1302012-08-18 14:07

    My da had two of these in the late 70's 80's. One was bought new and the other 2nd hand. When he bought them hymac were the big name in excavators in northern ireland and everyone told him he was mad buyin these,as they were an unknown make and would loss a fourtune when he went to sell them. That was 30-40 years ago and we have had all hitachi machines since. The Uho4's are long long gone!! But if i was you i'd put my money into something a little more up to date. Heres a picture taken of1 of ours being lifted onto a low loader and taken to it final resting place!!! The scrap yard. The machine above had the same control layout as you talked about RayF, where as the other machine had the same control layout as found in a UHO52 etc etc

  28. #28Permafrost-ed2012-08-18 15:45

    I have an old UH-07-7 (one of the last of them) Its got 17000hrs in permafrost conditions and spends its winters frozen solid at -40. Its been a great machine! It always works, not that fast but very reliable. It can be fixed easily by anyone and what it lacks in speed and beauty it makes up in character. Comparing it to a new machine isn't fare... apples to oranges.

  29. #29Pepe2012-08-18 20:43

    Older Hitachi's UHO models I'm a bit like you Permafrost-ed. My UH041 motor starts first time effortlessly. I also have a Komatsu & a Kobelco but the old Hitachi is a quick starter. I do not wish to change as got it cheap so worth spending the $$ on the slew as it has low hours, tracks, rollers, sprockets OK & no hydraulic leaks. 2 buckets & quick hitch.

  30. #30Sumner2012-08-19 13:33

    I have a 1985 UH122 model with the Isuzu engine in it. Has been an extremely dependable machine. A little slow, but still starts within half a flip and works all day on very little fuel. These old hitachi's are tough as nails, and about as simple.

  31. #31Pepe2012-08-19 15:48

    Hitachi UH041 slew Yes I am the same; these machines are dependable. I have a piston Kawasaki Type B16 C -A1.2/215 slew in my UH041 [9 tonner] and trying to find a manual or even just pages on this slew if someone has a similar setup. I haven't checked my controls which is what the Hitachi dealers are saying now--- as the slew head valves seem Ok. Have stripped the head to see why its not braking on the slew left or right but if someone has a manual and willing to send me copy pages of the slew I am happy to pay? Hard to even find a manual on the UH041 even on ebay but am familiar with the working of the rest of the machine except this slew?