Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 120C

dirty4fun ยท 2011-01-01 17:45

Thinking of purchasing a JD 120C this year with a hyd. thumb and aux. Have a couple houses to demo and at least one basement so far to dig. I have some other buildings of my own to demo also, they don't pay well though. I can move it on a trailer behind a dump truck, pretty easy most of the jobs are only a few miles apart. I have used my backhoe and skidsteer with a grapple bucket the last few years to demo, would like to make it easier and faster. Would like to hear your thoughts. Thanks for any ideas good or bad.

Replies14
  1. #1countrylife2011-01-01 20:33

    I don't know anything about demolition so I can't help you there. It doesn't look to me like mine is that much bigger than yours. As for digging basements etc. I would hope so. I bought a Deere 160 with that being one of it's tasks along with a few miles of trenching for electric, water, and sewer lines. It's currently working on clearing out for a 4 acre lake so I haven't gotten to the other tasks yet. The only problem I have is trying to dig clay after a rain - it doesn't come out of the bucket very well. I haven't put in the chains yet that have been suggested. Don't know that this actually helped much. :beatsme Taking out the tree did take a moment only for the operator to figure out how to do it. Scoop out around the roots and push a little and it came right down.

  2. #2dirty4fun2011-01-03 22:00

    Countrylife, the 160 is the next size bigger, J D excavator. Yours sure looks to be in great condition. What size bucket do you have on yours? The wider a bucket the better they clean, usually. I know on my backhoe the 36" bucket in sticky ground, cleans much better than the 24" bucket. Have a good one!

  3. #3Ranch Hand2011-01-04 14:05

    Thought the picture looked familiar. I happened to be sitting in the operators seat when this picture was taken. The bucket is a little more than 1/3 of a yard and is about 30" wide. There is a thread about digging in clay, but in short we don't dig if the ground is wet or sticky. This execavator use to be a demolition machince so it has wear. Now it just enjoys working now and then and sitting under the trees; nice retirement.

  4. #4dirty4fun2011-01-05 07:09

    Rach Hand, Sounds like the excavator needs an operator to me. That would suit me just fine, only work when the ground was fit and sit in the shade a lot, maybe fishing. Glad it is working out for you.

  5. #5countrylife2011-01-09 09:24

    Actually the fish pond is right behind the camera. This area used to be a ranch that's been let go for many many years so there's lots of projects for it to do, but will probably never be asked to work as hard as it once did. Retirement is nice. Ranch Hand & I flipped a coin to see who got to take care of the tree - this explains why I don't go to casinos.

  6. #6traxx612011-01-16 07:35

    Hi there dirty4fun,any of the 120 series of machines whether they are deere Hitachi or cat are monsters(in a great way),lots of power with a standard stick and boom configuration,if you go with a long stick and extended Boom for more reach, you'll have to cut down on the size of clean up bucket you use.I have used our Cat 120c and cl for many Demos and they work great,I would strongly advise one thing, install some removable front guarding,to cover your front windows and lights. A little make shift guarding can save you some profit,at the price of windows and replacement lights, its worth it , just ask my boss, he took out the front window top and bottom sections, one over head light and a mirror when a chunk of lumber,squirted out of the pile he was picking up. the 120c is a good choice

  7. #7dirty4fun2011-01-16 16:25

    Thanks traxx61, I am still looking, looked at one last week. It had not been taken care of and was missing the hyd. thumb. Have even been looking at something like a 135 for tighter spots, and with a blade for clean up, and could level up the machine. Good idea about the guard on the front windows, even if not pretty could save a bunch of money. I have demo'ed three houses with my backhoe and skidsteer with a grapple bucket. It would sure be nice to do it a much easier way, and faster also. I will find what I like one day, or continue this way.

  8. #8DBarron2011-01-23 02:02

    Union Pacific uses several 120C excavators for railroad tie installation. They use a small hydraulic clamp type attachment, pretty slick.

  9. #9dirty4fun2011-01-23 06:43

    That would sure beat having to handle those ties by hand. I am still looking, for a machine in this size, would like to keep it within my budget. That and I haven't found anything that I feel has been taken care of. Have a couple dealers looking, so maybe they will come up with something.

  10. #10DBarron2011-01-23 12:20

    120 are getting rare for us especially with the 135 out there. I think if you can afford the 135 it's the way to go, it's just as stable. If the use the blade in front to help keep tip weight up you can lift a little more with the 135 than the 120. Customers seem to like the RTS models alot, it will be difficult to find one with a thumb used out there. You may have to have one installed. If so go with a Hyd kit from HKX and whatever thumb you prefer as a demo guy.

  11. #11dirty4fun2011-01-23 20:59

    Thanks, DBarron I have looked at them and a a few others with a blade Will look a little closer, the ones I saw didn't have a hyd thumb. It just looks like a hyd thumb would be much nicer, I am getting to old to get in and out all the time, anyway to pin a thumb. Got a quote for a hyd thumb to go on a 130LX, $6800, and that was me installing.

  12. #12DBarron2011-01-23 23:38

    hyd thumb is the best way to go, but they are pricey. Installing is a breeze really as long as you can weld, the hkx kit is super simple to install also. I know I saw a lot of 135s go out pre-plumbed, so you might get lucky.

  13. #13coopers2011-01-24 15:47

    I love the JD 120C's. They're great machines and have a lot of power. I agree with everyone's observations. I agree that 135's are becoming more common but if you don't find yourself in tight situations all the time a 120 is a good choice.

  14. #14dirty4fun2011-01-24 20:03

    Thanks guys, I sure do appreciate your thoughts and help. Have looked at the 135 and a couple others with blades, as that seems like it would be a nice feature. The search continues but with more great infput.