I'm (unsuccessfully) searching for information on a certain model excavator, and having trouble coming up with anything. I'm trying to find info and specs on a 1985 hitachi UL 083, and curious if anyone knows much about them? I'm looking at one for personal use on my own land to clear some land from forest to fields and to put some trails and a 1,000' driveway in on my property. Also have a lot of good size rock to move around and build some basic retaining walls. Just curious about any info on this model, such as type of engine, if they are known to be good machines, specific issues they may be notorious for, and any specs I could find on them. All I can find is its a 44k lb machine, that's about it. Thank you in advance.
Try UH083 instead of UL.
Thanks Excavator, I don't know why I keep typing UL, but yes I'm actually looking for the UH 083. I was searching the correct model name but for some reason wrote UL in my post. I'll try to edit but don't think I can edit my title. For clarification, I'm looking for information on a Hitachi UH083LC.
Is there an equivalent machine to the UH083LC? I know that Hitachi and Deere are basically the same?? Were they back then as well? Perhaps I could find some info by looking up a different model number/manufacturer?
The UH083 was IMHO the best excavator of its size Hitachi made. I clocked up 11000 engine hrs in 4 years and 100% availablity. It ran an Isuzu 6BT engine. Its oil comsumpition was the same from new until sold, 5 litres per 250 hrs. Don't be afraid to buy the standard undercarrage if its in good nick, they were very stable.
Same at that.I had an 83,a 73 which were supposed to give pump trouble,an old fitter told me to use series 10 engine oil in the hydraulics and let the machine warm for 15 minutes before use.never gave any trouble.also had a 63. Good reliable machines.imho a good 83 was a better machine to dig than a 200-1
Thanks for the feedback and info. I am going to look at one over the next couple of weeks when I get a chance. When you say standard undercarriage, what are you comparing that to? Is the "LC" a designation for long track or wide track or something? Does the 83 have 3 separate pumps? I am currently using a JD 410B backhoe, and have only operated an excavator of this size one other time. I'm not too sure of what to expect when comparing it to the backhoe, but I'm going to try it out on the site and try to look it over really well. I have some medium sized white pines to clear out as well as a couple acres of small birch, about 6-8" diameter. Do these machines have block heaters? Is there any online source for owners manuals or just contact a dealer? It does not have a thumb on it, but I do plan to add one. Not sure if I'll go with manual or hydraulic.
LC.long carriage.2 pumps.easy engine to start when cold. Keep idlers forward
Okay thanks, this one is the long carriage then. (can you tell I don't know squat about excavators?)
The 83 may get a little getting used to as the slew lever is back and forward and the dipper is side to side. All the newer machines are opposite just on the left hand lever. Because they are linkcage controled it's a big job to change it. Its much easier and cheaper to learn the pattern as it is.