Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hitachi ZX30u Starter Motor

JackKinghan · 2025-10-20 17:50

Hi all, Recently acquired a Hitachi Zaxis 30u 3tonne excavator. It’s from 2005, a Japan import I bought in an auction. Long story short, when I turn the key, a clicking noise comes from the starter motor. I believe it’s the solenoid. I am struggling to access the starter motor. No access from the underside. I open the left panel, it’s blocked by the hydraulic pump which won’t budge. I also don’t understand how I can access from under the seat. In the attached image, panel labelled 1 is a mess of wires, I can’t feel the solenoid through the mess as everything is crusted. Panel labelled 2 is empty, just has the fuse box. I’m confused as I don’t know if the original owner messed up the access (e.g. seat is welded to the panel rail), or most likely, I’m missing something big. I appreciate I’m very vague, but if anyone can point me in the right direction it’ll be greatly appreciated. I’ve downloaded three manuals, and although the detail is great it doesn’t elaborate how to access the starter.

Replies0

No replies yet.