Anybody out there have a decent solution or implement for smoothing hog diggings, ruts, grass mixture. Those creatures have taken over east texas country side. Hunting them hasnt put a dent in the population. Thanks
Get a chopper and some rifles and go to town on those creatures.
Sod clods etc. are hard to just rake back in. We get a lot of field turf damage from the CTL's in the spring when digging trees. Tight turns can roll up some huge piles of sod and make good ruts like the hogs do. York rake, spring harrow etc. just moves the sod around. You gotta break them up. Tiller or disc harrow making a light pass works to break them up and then grade and or roll as needed. I've heard if you put enough hunting pressure on the hogs they will move on to easier pickings. The neighbors. I would really like to see what a GE minigun could do to a sounder.
https://www.traegergrills.com/recipes/pork/whole-hog
It has been almost two years since we first heard you mention those dam hogs Iron@Dirt . I don't have any suggestions on how to fix the mess they make. How deep do they root ? I know they love to make holes. We called them hog wallows when we had pigs on the farm. Putting rings in their noses used to put a stop to it. Have you been able to kill many of them ?
There are several companies making hog traps like this one - https://jagerpro.com/ Their hog trap looks efficient.
Harley rake, either on a tractor or skidloader...
Hog activity looks almost exactly like someone using a rototiller to get a garden ready for the first time. They are amazingly destructive.
if you have never seen there damage, its unbelievable. we have seen holes up to knee deep. its not symetric like say chopping or the roughest discing you can imagine, its random holes and hills, but the tall thick grass makes it even harder to smooth out. discing helps some but dragging a blade just balls everything up. have been thinking of a tr3 but they are real expensive to be experimenting with. we have a trap and neibors trap and hunt them also, still a loseing battle. thanks everyone for their response, was hoping for feed back on tr3 or harley rakes.
I second a Harley rake but tall grass will just wrap around the drum....
Good luck! Those things are a pain! I was on a client’s place about a month ago surveying and asked about his experience this year. He was caught 109 on 650 acres this year as of then. https://farmprogress.com/hog/proliferation-wild-pigs
Search Hog Control with Tannerite on youtube. I posted it here, once, but got in trouble...
All you need is one of these placed right. Contact your local government for price and availability!
Like Tags said, a harley rake won't work with vegetation. A tr3 would be problematic with vegetation also I think. I have seen Rome disks used for reclaiming farm-ground and they work well. They destroy small trees also. It takes multiple passes tho. Waiting about a month and disking again really chops up the little trees and vegetation. I don't know high the grass is that you are dealing with, if it is really tall, it would need to be dealt with before even a rome disk could go thru it without plugging up.
I guess they are no different from a the domestic pigs we had when I was kid.