Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

pay for workers

catwelder · 2019-11-12 16:10

what are yall paying because right now I just lost 3 of my guys and I gotta rehire some people and whats the going rate for labors and truck drivers for yall. I was paying 13 for a labor 18 for a driver then im paying 22 for operators

Replies26
  1. #1NepeanGC2019-11-12 16:26

    Here in Canuckistan, I'm paying $18-25 for labour, and $25-35 for drivers/operators. It's ridiculous up here trying to find good labour.

  2. #2catwelder2019-11-12 16:36

    I had 6 guys 3 operators 2 labors and 1 driver the drive lost his license and is now on probation and cant drive so he aint coming back and the labors they disappeared on me

  3. #3Welder Dave2019-11-12 17:00

    If you have multiple employee's leaving, maybe??? you need raise your rates or look at how the employee's are treated. $13/hr. seems quite low to me but I don't know wages in your area. In my experience when more than a couple people leave it's because they are either not happy with the wage and/or have a problem with management (sometimes a specific employee like a foreman). I think it pays to pay a little more to keep good employee's. Treat the employee's with respect and they will be loyal. Never forget that the employee's can make or break the business.

  4. #4ianjoub2019-11-12 19:36

    I pay laborers $10/hr cash. It is twice what they are worth.

  5. #5catwelder2019-11-12 19:59

    well my driver lost his licenses and is gone for that reason the labors they got paid Friday like everyone else and they dint show up yesterday or today. I called them no answer for this area im in the labor pay is 10-11 dollars so im above average for the pay they been with me for 6 and 7 months

  6. #6catwelder2019-11-12 20:00

    that's the going rate for them here to expect for one company they pay 8

  7. #7ianjoub2019-11-12 20:02

    Yeah, get rid of welfare, EBT, section 8, et. al. and people would start to work again .... or starve

  8. #8Welder Dave2019-11-12 20:03

    Maybe they found better opportunities.

  9. #9Ronsii2019-11-12 20:03

    They start warehouse workers at 17.50 around here and I've heard can haulers talk about getting 25.... even heard a guy saying some place was offering 33 for hosslers!!! I see signs for workers up pretty much at every business in the area and most don't have but 3 requirements.... a license(so you can drive to work) some sort of security check and a pee test. And to add to the workers I see at the warehouses now.... I can hardly believe most of them can pass 1 of those requirements!!! let alone all 3.

  10. #10Ct Farmer2019-11-12 20:29

    If I can find anyone willing to do it I need to pay a laborer $15 an hour to pick rocks in the field. Anything requiring more skill than that quickly goes up in price. I'd be happy to pay a good worker a good wage but nobody wants to do farm work when fast food joints pay $15 an hour. I can't even find a local kid part time after school to help around the farm with chores for a few bucks. They would rather play video games. Growing up I cut lawns for $7 per lawn. Glad to get it. Now people pay at least $50 for a lawn service. It is cheaper to herbicide a whole field around here than pay someone to ride a mower down the rows. First thing most of them ask is when do I get paid and when are the breaks. Most are worth about $10per day.

  11. #11John C.2019-11-13 10:14

    You get what you pay for and atmosphere is just as important as the number of dollars that change hands.

  12. #12DMiller2019-11-13 11:59

    Drove a short time for $13 to start, had been promised $15 part time, just enough to make it worth getting up for. 15 never showed out, hours got increased and starting hours adjusted EARLIER so said Bye Bye. Here a Licensed CDL holder will start at $25 if has any time in the saddle even PT, specialized and can gain more as with HAZMAT or Tank endorsement where companies are now trading employees as raises occur. Bad drivers are Cheap, average shovel or form dragger $15/hr cash or $14 plus some form of benefits on a payroll sheet. Those that cannot get work otherwise, do not qualify for Welfare or UI here will get $10/hr cash. Sad to say it happens but it does. As to quality workers no less than $15 and around $18-25 average. Skilled $30 and UP.

  13. #13Birken Vogt2019-11-13 12:18

    Hard words, if you can't raise pay per hour because rates to customer are too low, customer rates need to rise. If they don't have room to rise then business model is not sustainable. Or cut back work force, do work that does not require a large crew, pick and choose jobs not trying to service everyone that comes along.

  14. #14catwelder2019-11-13 16:38

    the laborers no idea the driver I think his just gonna retire he dint pass the psychical part due to a heart issue his 62 the other two I think I know what happened to one and other aint got a clue

  15. #15catwelder2019-11-13 16:39

    I know what you mean there

  16. #16catwelder2019-11-13 16:40

    I might just invest into some new technology and replace labor with technology be like everyone else my guys that are left seem to be fine with just the 3

  17. #17catwelder2019-11-13 16:42

    my driver was just doing this till he could retire the laborers could not tell you their plans in life

  18. #18catwelder2019-11-13 16:43

    I can raise both of those we stay busy but neither one asked for a raise or said anything I was gonna do a yearly raise but might need to adjust that to keep my 3 guys

  19. #19Truck Shop2019-11-13 20:31

    Pay peanuts you get monkeys. I have been offered jobs in the last 6 months at three shops. No way Jose. I have been where I'm at since 2003. The boss pays my gas, I have decent insurance, I have three weeks paid vacation, I get a Christmas bonus of 3,000, I buy all my parts through the company at their price, I'm salaried and I'm expensive. Plus I work on my B75 model Mack during regular work hours in between jobs. All company work is always taken care of first. Plus I'm payed 30.00 an hour to operate the tow truck. Now that might sound like bragging but I give the company 7 day's a week all year long, I have missed one Saturday day the whole time I've been there. I do what I'm asked as a shop manager and try to stay ahead of anything that could be a problem down the road. Besides what else is one going to do if their not working--set on there *** watching football?

  20. #20_Weldman_2019-11-14 01:02

    I know someone...looking around... that charges $30 an hour to fix fishing/diving vessels from bow to stern the trailers they go on if they have one to the vehicle that pulls it and welds steel aluminum and stainless when they don’t have to. This person could sit on their as and not have to work, but would go nuts is why they do it. He even drives hour(s) sometimes to get to job site and charges only for an hour for doing so. Some days you can find this someone in pouring rain or snow storm turning wrenches on farm equipment for same price. Point being, good workers hard to come by unless one is willing to pay for what one is worth, not what the person thinks they are worth.

  21. #21Tinkerer2019-11-14 09:45

    What does a hossler do ? I never heard of one.

  22. #22f311fr12019-11-14 09:54

    Ground labor starts at $15.00. If he is any good $16.00 after a month. $17.00 after 6 months and IF they show an intrest in learning to operate equipment. Operators start at $20-$24 depending on experence. If they can run a job $24 per hour with a bonus at the end of the job if they come in under budget. This is in middle TN. Yes I have serveral with records, probation ect. If they are honest about it up front we can deal with it. My best ground man is straight because I gave him a chance and his probation and pee test is every Monday AM. We know he won't be in until after lunch but we can deal with it.

  23. #23CM19952019-11-14 10:13

    The "wage" question comes up from time to time and it's like asking how much does a car cost? There is no way to accurately compare hourly wages from one area of the US to another 1000 miles away, much less with other countries, without knowing what the cost of living is in those areas. What are housing costs? Big difference in housing costs between Seattle WA and Baton Rouge LA for example. What are the state and local taxes - payroll, income, property, etc.? Food costs? Insurance? Healthcare? Point being is there are a lot of variables that come into play which determine how much is left over in the bank at the end of the month. Someone making $18 in AL might just have more left over at the end of the month than someone making $28 in CA.

  24. #24Ronsii2019-11-14 10:48

    They are called a few different things around here... yard dog, goat,hostler, hossler, terminal tractor, yard jockey, yard mule but 'hossler' and 'goat driver' are the two most prominent, they are just a driver that moves cans/chassis around from dock doors to yard spot sometimes a couple miles between warehouses in the same city...

  25. #25catwelder2019-11-14 19:08

    that's how I got one of my operators I offered him 23 an hour vs 16 at his other job and he came on

  26. #26catwelder2019-11-14 19:10

    yeah I know I was just going with local rates and tried to beat local rates I wanted to stay a small 6-8 man company but at this rate might end up just buying a dozer a skid steer and a bigger excavator and adding the grade control to everything and replacing labor for the most part dump truck driver little harder to do on that end