Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Homemade Case Snow Plow

CASE FREAK ยท 2010-03-16 07:59

Does anybody know how i can make a myers snow plow blade work on my 99 case 90xt skid steer? It has a quick attach bucket so will i heed the quick attach bracket? Do you think i can make one out of steel? Also can i make a curtis truck plow fit? This plow is a quick attach also but different then the skid steer

Replies4
  1. #1UNCLETONY2010-03-16 10:45

    You can make anything work with a little creativity and some steel. First make or buy the quick attach plate for the skid steer. If you are good at steel work you can fab one, otherwise it will cost you anywhere from 100-300 for the plate. Weld the plate to your blade and voila you have a manual snow plow. If you want to use the aux hydraulics to power the angle cylinders on your blade. You will need to buy flat face couplers ($80) and most likely new hoses ($80). There are many different ways to fabricate this up and it's up to you. You could even skip using a coupler and bolt the plow to your bucket in some fashion. You can use bolts instead of welding in certain areas if you want to be able to detach. The first time you do this you will have a learning curve and after that you will most likely change your design. This time of the year you can buy one of these instead of making one for 750-2000. A lot of guys take ($100) **** plows and put a quick attach plate on them, then sell it for a grand. If you purchase one check to make sure it has good hoses and flat face couplers. Also check the cutting edge and cylinders for leaks just like you would check any snowplow. If you build one, how well made you make it will depend on you. I want my **** to last since I am still young and I use the hell out of my equipment. I replaced every carriage bolt, eye bolt, spring, (cheap) on the plow and A frame. I stripped the paint, primed, and put two coats of Rustoleum on it. Plumbed extra long Parker hoses out of the way so they will not get pinched. Good Luck,

  2. #2Steve Frazier2010-03-16 21:51

    I had to use my skid this past storm for plowing, we had 12" of the heaviest stuff I've ever dealt with in my 40 year career. I used the bucket, but as well as the machine works I want to rig a plow to it too. My idea is to weld some tabs to the floor of the bucket, and a catch hook for the plow chain to the top of the bucket. This way if I get into some real tough stuff I can drop the plow and dig a path to start, or if I get stuck, drop the plow and push out with the bucket. I do driveways and can get in some sticky spots. For parking lot work it might not be necessary. With either application, you will need flow restrictors on the hydro lines, otherwise you'll slam the plow back and forth when angling.

  3. #3Taylortractornu2010-03-16 22:25

    We dont get much snow here had a big one this year 5 inches lol. And the local businesses had to hire it plowed by a tractor with a rear blade. When scrap was high i found an 8 foot meyers that came on a northern parts truck to MS. I got it for 25 bucks with intentions of making it a pull box for my tractor. I will make a plate to mount on my 1840 loaders mount. The tractor operator had to hand clear alot of it. He refused to plow any more of it. I think I can have mine done for about 100 bucks. I mke most of my own implements it sure saves some cash for a small timer like me.

  4. #4mark4502010-03-17 06:08

    I bought a cat 1 3 point quick hitch a few years ago welded that to a quick attach plate i hook my snow plow,york rake and even two bottom plow to it...i have other plows i made best if they float otherwise they dig in real hard...ok on blacktop but on dirt roads sometimes gouges bad...just my opinion...i also put a receiver on it and can spot trailers if i have to....