Hi folks, I've enjoyed a lot of your posts and was wondering if anyone had tried making dozer screens from old worn-out soil screener screens? I'm the new owner of an old open Cat D5C (serial 6PJ00370). It needs new 20" pads and chains, but otherwise it's in good shape at 3800 hours. I'm going to be doing some brush clearing, and wanted to add screens and sweeps. Buying new isn't in the cards right now, and used ones for this machine seem to not exist. But I have access to old screens from a gravel plant. Some have 3/16 - 1/4" "woven" wires (not the openings, the actual wires). I'm thinking that welding up a frame and cutting out and adding a panel of screen might just work. Nowhere as good or safe as new ones, but safer than none, which is the alternative. With the collective wisdom of all of you I'd love to hear if/why this is a bone-headed idea. Thanks much and here's to a great 2022!
I had an IH TD15-C that someone had put on screens like you are talking about, but I took them off except for the one between the sweeps. They were in good shape, but since I did not need them, I took them off. FWD
That’s a clean looking machine! what year ? crusher screen is good material, make frames weld screen in and bolt on will make a good job. Hope you enjoy it. Sam
I made all the screens for a D5M with crusher screen. Used bedframe angle iron to make the frame. Had a picture of the D5M but it disappeared from my phone. Look up pictures of dozers with screens so that you can get an idea of what to build.
Nice screens ED ! For those that aren't aware, if you click on the image of ED's dozer it will be smaller than if you click on title of it (D5C.jpeg). Strange phenomenon.
Go for it a lot of dozer screens are made from crusher screen well every thing is made from screens around a crusher lol I would just plan on bolting as welding can crack with the vibrations Nice looking cat too
Thanks everyone for your input. I appreciate your kind words. 955CAT I thought the CAT dealer told me it was a 1992, but someone else told me that was wrong. So I’m not sure. It is a nice machine that has lived indoors and had a fairly easy life. The track bushings are shot, so I need new/used track sets, but that’s a different post. Jonas302 good point on bolting and welding. Thanks. I added a few more pictures if anyone is interested.
yes, that looks nice. Don't even think of welding, drilling or looking sideways at the ROPS, the ROPS is untouchable by mere mortals. Actually probably not that big a deal for you, but you may want to sell it someday and it will matter to some buyers.
Welcome to the Forums Ed! Delmer beat me to it. I wouldn't drill or weld anything on the rops, especially as clean as your machine is.
Delmer and CM1995 I appreciate the warning. I was probably going to use a bracket to go around it. But in case I got lazy, now I won't. Thanks!
Those ROPS have been fabricated by welding , certainly needs to be done right and if so will not damage the structural integrity of the ROPS.They are mounted on rubber bushing to take care of any vibration. Look at my post and pictures I made those ROPS 20 yrs. ago that’s crusher screen on sides . Thanks, Sam
Hi Sam, I would love to look at your screen pictures. I'm just not sure where to find them. Sorry, I'm new here and learning my way around still. Thanks! Ed
Go to search forums and put in 955cat my post will come up, I think it’s the one 977L
It's not a question of structural integrity. It's a question of certification, any welding, drilling, grinding on a ROPS removes the certification, making the machine basically junk to anybody that deals with OSHA, MSHA etc. Just put a tire sidewall between two plates and clamp to the ROPS, it's not that hard to avoid welding on it.
X2 - What Delmer said.