Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Horsepower Electric vs. Gas

koldsteele ยท 2011-10-09 10:48

It seems somewhere I've read that 1 horsepower electric is equal to 3 horsepower gas ?? Is this correct ? Heres my problem ...Buddy of mine gave me an old steam jenny that has an 18 hp gas drive engine ...After makin sure that the coil and pump hadn't froze and bust..I'm thinking off driving it with an electric motor say 5 hp ?? tell me what you think ...Thanks .

Replies7
  1. #1muzy2011-10-09 18:25

    One HP is one HP regardless wither it is gas, electric, or otherwise. The manner these devices are advertised may difer thou. Peak HP as compared to continuous HP. I think? Anyone else? muzy

  2. #2Ronsii2011-10-09 19:05

    I have a bandsaw mill with an 18hp briggs on it and I know of an identical mill that has a 3 or 5 hp electric on it that does the same work per hour so I think it has to do with torque the electric doesn't bog down like a gas will, now for your application it may be a little different but I would think not too much.

  3. #3leisureexpress2011-10-10 11:06

    Here is a thread on that topic for more info and points of view. It seems that opinion puts the ratio somewhere between 1 electric = 3 Gas and 3 E = 5 G. In any case they do not seem equal. http://cr4.globalspec.com/thread/55905/Gas-Motor-vs-Electric-Motor-Equal-HP

  4. #4maytag2011-10-10 19:31

    gas/electric Your figures are close to what I've seen 2 1/2-3 to 1. Good luck with your endeavor, Tom

  5. #5Randy882011-10-11 08:45

    First off what speed does the engine run vs the electric motor? Most gas engines turn around 3600 vs the electric that turn 1850 so torque should be a factor but hp is still hp, that doesn't change any, also there's 110 220 440 and so on for electric, that also comes into play. If your looking for a closer answer to your question maybe run it by someone that has all the variables to figure in exactly what your doing say an electric motor shop that specializes in electric motors, they'll have all those variables to figure in for you and can give an exact answer.

  6. #6StanRAUUS2011-10-11 12:15

    Article explains RMS root mean square horsepower electric versus internal combustion engines http://www.hydraulicspneumatics.com/200/FPE/Pumps/Article/True/6405/Pumps

  7. #7koldsteele2011-10-11 22:27

    Hey everyone that has give me some input on this thanks....seems like sometimes them engineering degrees come in handy lol..have to get one of them too someday lol... Ahh this is winter project and nothin pressin ....I'm gonna try a 5 hp electric this winter and will let known the outcome ..Thanks..