Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hough H-70 and unknown Caterpillar.

BHR_NY ยท 2024-05-02 18:43

New to the forum. Just pick up a Hough H-70 with Detroit 4-71 that runs good. However some of the controls are stuck and everything thing needs a ton of grease and some loosening up. Hydraulics work but doesn't seem to go in any gear in either direction. Other than straightening out the fuel lines so the Detroit would start nothing else has been check. If was getting dark and the black flies were feasting. The other one just says Caterpillar on the radiator housing. I bought them at scrap price, so I am not hurt. The engine in the Caterpillar needs rebuilding and the seller want's it back. But it is a small loader and I have a 3-71 and a 3-53 Detroit just setting in storage. I thought perhaps I would transplant on of those in it. If anyone can help I would appreciate it. I have part and service manuals on the way. For some reason the pics of the Hough turned out blank, I will retake in a couple days when I can get back over where the loader is. In the mean time here is the tag of the serial number of the Michigan, and pics of the Caterpillar. If anyone has id for the Cat let me know, or if you know the location of the ID tag.

Replies2
  1. #1Rusted2024-05-02 19:56

    The Cat is a 944A, should be a 43A serial number, which can be found on the frame on the right side of the machine roughly behind the crowd ram. Alternately, on the right side of the engine block just below the head.

  2. #2cuttin edge2024-05-02 19:56

    A 944 maybe