Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hour Meter Question on Caterpillar Skid Street

matthewwatson ยท 2012-09-19 19:55

Hey Guys. I have a 2004 Caterpillar 248B Skid Steer with digital Hour meter. One of my workers ended up cracking my hour meter. I purcahsed the new digital hour meter from the local CAT dealer. After installing it, it shows 000 hours. My machine have original 1327 hours. I was wondering if there is a way to advance the hour meter so that my machine shows correct hours? I can take the hour meter out. What if i connect it to the battery and leave it plugged in for 1327 hours and then install it back? If you have an idea, please let me know. I would very much appreciate it.

Replies5
  1. #1dporter2012-09-19 21:20

    apply a sticker above indicating the number of hrs on the previous meter. Add the two together to get the current hrs.

  2. #2SchuLace2012-09-20 00:34

    To get it to show the actual hours, you would have to hook it up to a battery and let it run. Most people will do what dporter said and put a sticker somewhere that shows the previous meter reading.

  3. #3matthewwatson2012-09-20 01:01

    There are three wires coming out of the hourmeter. Do you know how to make it run?

  4. #4Nige2012-09-20 13:05

    On larger machines like medium wheel loaders you can connect Cat ET to the machine and change the new (0 hours) service meter to whatever hours the former service meter had. You can't reduce the hours before anyone asks, only increase them. I'm not sure if you can do this on a skid-steer.

  5. #5junior34342014-02-07 19:25

    pin 1 is battery power ....pin 2 is earth..... pin 3 connect to pin 1 and hour meter will run