Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

How can you abuse a machine like that ? Operators slamming a machine around and other bad habits.

DDoug · 2022-04-28 08:49

I can "drive" as dozer, and not damage it, I'm not a professional by any means, and I have to drive very slowly to hold a grade. However, once I got the hang of the de-accell pedal, I am working the machine at approx. 3/4 throttle, always de-accell before reversing. As you all know, it's very quick to do, and simply wait for a second for the powershift to "clunk" before letting up on the pedal, and resuming full throttle. Was watching a D6 hi-drive on the casino job a few years ago, and the operator was at (what sounded like) full throttle, slamming the reverser forward/back so hard, I could see them in the cab, bounce up, and hit the seat belt. Every time...... I can't abuse a machine that way, nor my own body (that has to hurt after a full day of that) It's not like using the de-accell pedal takes any more time. Minding the clutch (on a truck) as well as the throttle is another pet peave. I can hear & see drivers everyday slipping while sitting at a traffic light, etc. Do fleet managers find certain employees cost allot more in maintenance ? How do you handle them ?

Replies13
  1. #1skyking12022-04-28 09:49

    that guy would get a quiet talking with, and one more chance. One time I was riding with another employee in the Isuzu NPR and witnessed him holding his position at a traffic light by SLIPPING THE CLUTCH! I was gobsmacked. I had just started there and really did not know what to do. Luckily that guy left the job not too long after, and he did not do much driving. EDIT I do remember replacing that clutch myself later

  2. #2DDoug2022-04-28 10:49

    I had an NPR too, the linkage for the shifter (the floor mounted style) was pretty loose, I pretty good at double clutching, and floating them in. I didn't shove and grind. I have never held on a hill by slipping the clutch with any vehicle.

  3. #3Acoals2022-05-01 21:53

    Half these guys out there have the IQ of a houseplant ....

  4. #4Junkyard2022-05-01 22:20

    I’ve heard a foreman tell another guy “If you were any dumber I’d have to water you twice a day”.

  5. #5bam19682022-05-01 22:51

    Some of the online auction sites have short videos of the machines running. While watching some of the dozers I am literally amazed on the number of them that open up the throttle and throw it in forward and reverse and not even a hint of hitting the decelerator. That is a huge turn off for me.

  6. #6Nige2022-05-02 00:00

    My personal favourite is "If brains were dynamite you wouldn't have enough to blow the wax out of your ears."

  7. #71466IH2022-05-02 00:21

    If brains were gasoline you wouldn't have enough to power a **** ant's go kart 2 laps around a cheerio

  8. #8.RC.2022-05-02 00:57

    To be fair Cat have said for decades that full throttle speed and directional changes are fine with their powershift transmissions. Also I thought I read somewhere that the extra fuel burned when decelerating and accelerating will end up costing more then a transmission rebuild. Of course Cat sell spare parts.

  9. #9DDoug2022-05-02 08:23

    But slamming my body up against the shoulder belt over & over is a wee bit too much eh ?

  10. #10catman132022-05-02 13:04

    i have seen some good operators hardly bump the decelerator and change directions and it is a smooth as silk, no machine/ operator/ or track jerking

  11. #11CM19952022-05-02 20:32

    I use the "decel" pedal on our two hystat dozers...

  12. #12Bumpsteer2022-05-02 22:28

    I can't comprehend the damage that happens with a skidsteer on 2 local dairy farms. Imagine the hit one takes to break a 6x6 pole, not once, weekly, ***? That dude gets the repair cost deducted from his paycheck....no idea how he has any money to send back to mexico. Ed

  13. #13chidog2022-05-02 22:53

    I always liked any machine I ran from heavy equipment to machine tools and what ever else. Though when I was doing the job, that is what I was concentrating on, and like someone else said the manual and sales literature was just fine with full governed speed forward and reverse, which I have done with occasional decel on one particular machine for years on end, never had a problem with anything related to that on the machine. It highly impresses me how much beating a large dozer final will take, with rocks and stumps, and that is trying to avoid such things as much as possible, the old back doesn't take that so well.