I have a Ford 4500 gas backhoe and the governor and throttle linkage needs adjusted and Im not sure how to do it. If you can help me out, it would be much appreciated.
What has happened that you need to adjust both, the governor and linkage. Won't the governor maintain a constant speed ? Somewhere in the throttle linkage there should be a clevis with a lock-nut threaded onto a rod.
I bought the hoe at an auction. The previous owner passed away, but before doing so, he replaced the transmission. I started the hoe and went through the levers to see that everything worked. It was just idling. I got ready to drive it home and 800 RPM's is all that I could get out of it. It took me almost two hours to drive six miles. I adjusted the throttle linkage and got it up to 1200 RPM's. Then I went to the governor rod and adjusted it all the way out until I was out of adjustment, and got about 1500 RPM. It would run the hoe but would stall occasionally. I was out of adjustment on the governor rod, so I bent it. I got 2000 RPM at that point. All I am running on now is just on the governor. I straightened the rod out a little bit and got it down to 1800 RPM's. All I can do is run on the governor.
When it stalls occasionally is it because the governor is not increasing the throttle ? Does the engine maintain a constant speed when you put a load on it ? The fact you cannot use the throttle indicates it is time to remove the governor and look for something broken or wore out.
Governor With the engine stopped , move the hand throttle to the wide open position. Remove the rt hand sheet metal cover at the steering sector. Loosen the jam nut on the gov rod and disconnect the rod from the throttle plate lever. Rotate the carb throttle plate lever clockwise to the full-open position so the wide-open throttle tang on the lever is against the stop on the carb. With the gov arm fully rearward and the throttle plate fully open, adjust the gov rod length to meet the throttle plate lever, then lengthen one more turn. Connect the rod and tighten jam nut. Move the hand throttle to the closed position. Loosen the jam nut on the control rod and disconnect the rod from the throttle control lever arm. Push the throttle control rod fully forward (idle position) and adjust the length to meet the attachment point. connect the arm and tighten the nut. Start the engine and allow to warm up, adjust idle screw to 600-700 rpm. Adjust the idle fuel mixture screw in or out until the engine reaches its highest idle rpm, then readjust and check low idle speed if needed. Now move the hand throttle to wide open, rpm should be 2395-2495 no load, and rated is 2200 rpm. You may need to turn the maximum adjusting bolt to achieve the recommended max no load speed. Throttle unit down and recheck idle speed. You also should remove the rod on your foot throttle and adjust the linkage so that when the pedal is all the way down it just contacts the high end position of the hand throttle setting on the carb. Timing to # 1 plug, point gap at 022-028, plug gap 023-028 on most and check your vacuum advance line to the distributor if needed. I think there is a screen in the fuel shutoff valve in the tank that I would also check when you have some time. Hope this helps some!
Thanks for the info, Ive been going about it all wrong. It will be awhile before I can get on to it to adjust the throttle but I will keep you updated when I do. Thanks again
I have gotten some info from Sheepfoot that may help too. Thanks for responding, will keep you updated.
Hi, sorry that I have taken so long to get back with you. I've had to deal with some serious medical issues. I adjusted the throttle linkage like you instructed, but it still didn't work. I studied the situation and found that the governor spring was put on wrong. Its working fine now. You were a big help! Thanks again