So my hour meter went out and I purchased a new one from JCB. Current part #704/D7231. Its different of course, but I hooked it up and there is a single wire with a male spade terminal that I have no idea where it goes. I get no tach or hourmeter movement. I contacted dealer and waiting to hear from them. In the mean time if anyone could help it would be great. Greg
I sent you an email with links to the service manual. The service manual (for serial number 930000 on) shows the tach and hour meter fed from wire number 304. If you can wait until tomorrow I'll take the dash panel off on mine and have a look. Oh and would you mind sharing what you paid for the new meter? Thanks Greg.
Thanks for the help. Unfortunately my serial # is 925605. All the wiring on my machine is yellow and some of the numbers are hard to read. There is an eight pin connector on the machine that has three pins in it. The connector from the new tach has 4 pins and then a single wire with a male spade terminal. Also the old tach has two bulbs and the new gauge has no provision for those. I don't know if the power should come from one of those wires or not. The wires on the new gauge are different colors and no numbers. I don't know if a picture of the wires would help or not. Was wanting to get a few things fixed and sell it. I love the machine but it hardly ever gets used. As far as price and yes you will think I'm an idiot. The first price they gave me was $450 but then he said part # had changed and it was $660.
FWIW if you search this site you'll see that the broken hour meter is very common on these machines. It's broken on mine too (2004). You wont get $660 back in price for a working meter... I'd return it. That was the price I saw online and was hoping you got it cheaper If you want to install it, looking at the above wiring diagram: 51 - is the tach 52 - hour meter 53 - bulb 54 - bulb 51 & 52 are both hooked to the same wire, 304. 53 and 54 both got to wire 930. From your description this sound similar to your original tach with the two bulbs. The wires are all yellow on mine as well. Take a multimeter and with the engine off, but main power disconnect on, turn the lights on. Two of the pins should have 12v. The 3rd without power is tach/hour meter. That is the one that should go to the new tach/hour meter. Hmm on edit. I looked up your serial number and the original tach has two tech notes (TI 2/464, TI 2/546) I only have access to the first one. Which describes adding a resistor to limit current spikes to the tach. That may be what the spade connector is for. I'd wait to hear back from the dealer.
Yes I've known about the broken hour meter. Just needed something to keep up with the hours. Didn't want to add a cheap one and thought this would be simple. I'll try to check it today. For what it cost you think it would be something substantial not a little piece of plastic. Thanks again for your help Greg
They sent a schematic but it wasn't much help. Didn't have a chance to work on it today, hopefully tomorrow.
Can you post schematic here?
I guess. Do I need to use photobucket? That or I could forward the email to you. None of the numbers match. I think its for a newer machine.
For anyone interested I have a solution with Greg9504's help. He found a VDO gauge from Summit racing for $137.00. Over $500 savings. I ordered the VDO 33-961 from Summit. Its just like the original except the face is black and reads to 3000 rpm. In a thread that Greg9504 sent it said that the pc board continued to keep track of hours even if the lcd was bad so I plugged the new lcd into the old pc. and got this: So I split the pc's from the lcd's on both gauges. Removed the faces and put the old face on the new hourmeter. And put the new hourmeter on the old pc. And got this: Ok so pics didn't work. If someone can tell me how I'll change it.
Nice thread looks like a excellent replacement! Was it difficult to change the faces or straight forward. I'm going to order the Summit gauge today.
It was easy. Just take your time. I used a small allen wrench to slide under the face to get it off. I think you have to use it to take the gauge apart also. If you have any questions let me know. Good Luck!
To get the front cover off you need to pry up about 2/3 of the lip of the cover with a small screwdriver, it's copper so it bends pretty easy. Just take your time. Then lift out the inner ring, remove the screws on the back, then you can get to the inner PCB.
Ok recieved the new one and took old one apart with poor success. The pointer gear housing split in two and I still can figure out how to remove the needle to get at the face plate off. I must be miss something just not sure and would like some feedback before I crack open the new one. I would really like to see how many hours are on the old meter so I know I have to plug it into the new meters display. You guys have any more input I don't want to destroy the new meter.
Can you post a picture of what you have done?
Here's a pic of the tac split, Can't see how to remove the needle to get at the faceplate. I did get the hours out of the old one to display on the new 2153.2 hours on a 2002 not bad. I hope it uploads never posted pics before
I haven't tried to remove the face, so hopefully the other Greg will reply with what he did. In his post above he said he used a small allen wrench to take the gauge apart. It's hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like perhaps the gear comes off with an allen wrench. However, you can run the new face/hourmeter with the old back as you have found. If it does not read correctly, follow the instructions that came with it for manually configuring it.
It twists off. Turn it counter clockwise. Be careful all the parts are fragile.
Not sure what to turn counter clockwise, I"m trying to remove the needle off the face plate in order to use the old card board on the new display. In the photo I supplied the old gauge split the needles gear box in half. If the needle would pop off it would be simple.
GOT IT! Its just pressed on really tight. now i just have to get the old gearbox together, yes fragile!
Good! I meant to twist the pointer. Keeping turning it till it comes off. I turned mine counter clockwise against the stop. And make sure when you put it back together its against the stop. Sorry out of town and doing this on my phone.
Ok, Now what pulse setting did you guys use? or where is it listed on what sensor? I tried 15 with a close idle but top end appears to be low by 500 rpm.
I just left mine where it was. At idle it was high by 100 rpms so i didn't worry about it nor did I have a way to check it.
hi greg9504 I've tried to private message you you but it seems I can't. would you send me a copy of your service manual please, I'm in the process of buying a 212S an I would like more info. it would be more than appreciate thanks