Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

How do I fill oil in my drive motor?

redline808 ยท 2008-02-08 04:57

I have attached a picture. There is two plugs on my drive motor. One says OIL L. which I assume is the Oil Fill hole it is if positioned at 12 o'clock is about 3/4 way up the face. The other if positioned at the bottom, 6 o'clock, I assume is the Drain. When positioned at 12 and 6, I figured, take out the top plug "Oil L" and pump full with gear oil until it spills out. Well at that position, there is something almost blocking the entire hole, I assume it's a gear. My question is how do I fill the drive motor up with gear oil, and how much do I pump in. Thanks for the help.

Replies13
  1. #1rino14942008-02-08 06:30

    You are correct. Turn the track so that the drain is at the bottom and the fill is at the top. If there is a gear is in the way, then move the track just about 1" in either direction. Fill it up until it spills out. Don't you have a service manual ??

  2. #2redline8082008-02-08 14:20

    I had to end up turning the motor until the fill was at about 2 o'clock. I wish I had a service manual. Grey market from Vietnam. Thanks for the help.

  3. #3redline8082009-08-11 15:42

    I am checking my gear oil in the drive motor and I forgot what weight gear oil to use, does anyone know?

  4. #4stock2009-08-11 16:36

    This is lifted from a -7 komatsu manual.

  5. #5redline8082009-08-11 18:06

    Thank you for the information. komatsu uses engine oil? humm. I thought I used gear oil.

  6. #6dozerdave2009-08-11 18:23

    Hi redline808, Read Stock's info, item 4.

  7. #7stock2009-08-11 18:25

    Remember these are sealed boxes and if overfilled they will blow the seals,what machine is it? some of the JCB,Daewoo/Doosans use ep90 and they have hydash boxes fitted,but so do Komatsu ,so a little more info please.

  8. #8redline8082009-08-11 22:42

    Hi, It is about a 1990, Kobelco SK030 grey market machine with HyDash drive motors. Thanks.

  9. #9stock2009-08-12 01:44

    finaldrives If this doesn't help ask your New holland dealer. I also notice that the protector plate is missing from the inside,this is a very bad plan ,might want to replace them!!!

  10. #10OCR2009-08-12 02:12

    Good link there, stock... :thumbsup OCR

  11. #11redline8082009-08-12 02:50

    I guess I should have started a new thread, a few replied to the original post of "how do I fill" from back in Feb' 08. No problem, I appreciate all the help. Great link stock! I did some research and all those oils seem to be equivalent to SAE90. Basically that was what I was trying to figure out. I learned something new as well. Oil designations. AW, ISO, SAE. I don't know what they mean, I assume it is a type of measurement. Maybe I should have asked what the SAE weight was so there would have been less confusion. Good catch there stock with the missing protector plate. Actually they are off because I just replaced the drive motor on that side and have not put it back on yet. For sure I will re-install them. I did notice though that my hard lines behind the protector plates were all rotted because of mud and sand packed in back there. From now on I will be adamant to clean behind those plates. Thanks again for all the help. Aloha.

  12. #12stock2009-08-12 03:23

    SAE = society of automotive engineers ISO = international standards organization AW is a new one on me. AN /mil = army-navy usually an american spec ie an123 or mil-2104-d BS = British Standard these organizations lay down the specifications that products have to meet ,let say 15w40ce would be a multigrade oil in sae. in military it might be mil-2104-ce/cf oils

  13. #13redline8082009-08-12 03:30

    Yea, AN. army-navy. we use a lot of AN fittings on our race cars. Apparently developed by the army-navy to be easy to work with and not need a large amount of force to seal. You also see a lot of product that are ISO9000 and ISO9001 certified. ISO makes more sense now. AW68 is the code on some of the hydraulic fluid we use. AW32/46/68 also the same in ISO32/46/68. two different manufactures though.