Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

How do I move dirt from 150 foot long bar ditch to fence line?

halliwellc ยท 2014-10-11 03:44

City ordinance says a privacy fence can't be over 4 feet tall, but my lawn is low. People walking in the street can see over the fence too easy. Solution is to raise the dirt under the fence. What's the proper tool to scrape a strip of earth out of my existing bar ditch and move it 10 feet to my fence line to create a berm on which I can build a higher fence? I think a berm 2-3 feet tall would be sufficient. What machine do I need, how long would it take, is this a DIY thing, or what would a contractor charge, or what would a moonlighting guy charge? Thanks. Also, please don't be confused by my neighbor's 6 foot fence in the picture...he gets to have 6 feet, I don't, long story.

Replies28
  1. #1mitch5042014-10-11 04:32

    If by bar ditch you mean the roadside ditch, it would be quick and cheap except that it's probably not worth it. if it was out in the open on a farm somewhere a backhoe or mini-ex could do for the minimum few hundred dollars just to move in, but... You have buried utilities, overhead utilities, DOT, city engineer, and you've already proven building and zoning or code enforcement is looking at you. If you could gain all those approvals, (which you probably couldn't) you'd have thousands to lawyers and engineers. You might get away with buying a load or two of dirt for a few hundred dollars and putting your fence on that. Now you see why I live in the country where my place isn't visible from the road, but the bureaucrats are encroaching more every year.

  2. #2td25c2014-10-11 09:00

    Mitch summed it up well . Be expensive but if the city would allow you to build a raised terrace out of two rows of landscaping pavers then fill with dirt between them & build fence on top of the terrace . Might look cool ? http://www.homedepot.com/s/Retaining%20wall%20blocks?NCNI-5

  3. #3JNB2014-10-11 09:39

    I'd stay away from hogging dirt out of the bar ditch. There's a lot more to worry about than just the utiities. Don't forget...that bar ditch has to drain and lowering the elevation may create a nice pond that the city will no doubt hold you accountable for. If you create a berm below the fence, where will the water in your front yard flow? Just because a DYIer can rent a piece of equipment doesn't mean the project will be performed correctly. For your project, I think you'll be better off consulting and hiring a professional. Have you considered trying to get the city to go for lattice on top of your 4' fence? It still wouldn't be a "solid" fence but would offer quite a bit more privacy on your side.

  4. #4CM19952014-10-11 10:04

    For all the reason the others have posted - the dirt in that ditch is the most expensive dirt you'll buy for this project, period.:cool2 Call around and have a couple of loads delivered for the berm, finish your fence and forget about that ditch.

  5. #5Buckethead2014-10-11 10:44

    I agree with everybody, I would stay away from that ditch. Borrowing dirt from there will most likely screw up the drainage. It's pitched in a certain direction to collect the water from the road and keep it moving. Because it's along the road it may be under the control of the town or county anyway, and they won't appreciate you creating a pool of stagnant water that will possibly back up on to the road. And if you put a berm under the fence, is it going to stop positive drainage away from the house? Maybe ask some landscaping contractors in your area for an estimate, they deal with these situations all the time.

  6. #6old-iron-habit2014-10-11 12:14

    That's the great thing about roads. You pay taxes to the center of the road, but have no control or literally no use of the part of your property that is on the right of way.

  7. #7FSERVICE2014-10-11 21:39

    set your post put the fence where you want it then just have a truck load of top soil delivered & install it under the fence just stay away from digging in that right of way.. the code enforcement is not happy with you already by the sound of your first post, no reason to provoke them any farther!!

  8. #8FRISKY2014-10-11 22:51

    ^^^ Good advice. If your property or any uphill neighbor's property drains into the bar ditch you might consider using a few drain pipes under the dirt you have brought in.

  9. #9Shimmy12014-10-12 03:04

    Not trying to stir the pot but why is everyone assuming he wants to lower the ditch grade to get the dirt? Looks like there is plenty of dirt in the backslope.

  10. #10JNB2014-10-12 09:32

    No assumption. The OP mentions it in his first post.

  11. #11Shimmy12014-10-12 10:14

    I guess it does say "out of". Hopefully they will come back and clarify for everyone.

  12. #12Buckethead2014-10-12 15:16

    Yeah, you're right. Maybe we just misunderstood because he was talking about borrowing it from the ditch.

  13. #13halliwellc2014-10-12 15:30

    This would violate ordinance and would cost more than a pile of dirt.

  14. #14halliwellc2014-10-12 15:38

    I already have good legal advice on this; no permits or engineers are needed. I was looking for advice on the actual moving of dirt.

  15. #15halliwellc2014-10-12 15:41

    The city considers a stack of pavers a fence, so the combined height would violate ordinance.

  16. #16clintm2014-10-12 15:46

    that figures

  17. #17halliwellc2014-10-12 15:46

    I intend to take it from the sideslope of the ditch, which would widen it without making it deeper.

  18. #18halliwellc2014-10-12 15:54

    I do not intend to lower the elevation. I intend to take the dirt from the side slope of the ditch, widening it slightly. Regarding lattice, the zoning code does not make exceptions for transparent fences. I am not concerned drainage on the inside of the fence line...just looking for advice on the hands-on use of heavy equipment...heavy equipment forum here...

  19. #19JNB2014-10-12 16:01

    Removing soil from the side of the ditch is still a modification you can't perform without permission from the city. And not to be rude....but drainage, elevation and worrying about utilities and ton of other things is part of operating. I still suggest consulting a professional on your project.

  20. #20halliwellc2014-10-12 16:08

    Code enforcement's "happiness" is not my concern. I will comply with the law. Scraping some dirt from the ditch will not be a problem; the damn thing is 80 years old and filled up with crap now anyway. The culvert under the driveway is half buried.

  21. #21CM19952014-10-12 16:11

    Very well aware of what kind of forum we have here...:cool2 You've gotten good advice on the question you've asked, it's up to you to whether you take it or disregard it.

  22. #22halliwellc2014-10-12 16:11

    Assuming I get the city's approval, what's the right equipment to do the job?

  23. #23JNB2014-10-12 16:39

    Everyone here is trying to save you from further headaches. It's as simple as that. I've already said it two times...maybe the third time will get the point across. If you're going to work anywhere is that ditch (even with permission), don't do it yourself. I can see from your photo that there are marked, buried utilities. If there are any buried lines from a cable or internet service, I can guarantee that they're not very deep...especially if its Verizon. I've "located" their lines several feet from their flags at no more than 2" deep. Verizon field employees will quietly admit that they're giving a best-guess regarding their location. If you hit them they will hold you accountable...read PAY out of your pocket or hit your credit rating after it goes to collection if you refuse. Search "Hit Verizon line" or something like that and read millions of homeowner horror stories. If drainage in your yard will be okay, I'd have a load of soil delivered. Take the money you would use for equipment rental and hire a couple of guys with shovels and wheelbarrows to build your mound.

  24. #24digger242j2014-10-12 16:42

    Hire an experienced professional with a mini-excavator. (Every word of that sentence is of equal importance.)

  25. #25Water Doc2014-10-12 20:53

    I would look into planting a black cedar hedge if privacy is your concern. We did a hedge at my parents house last summer. Bought the cedars at 3-4' tall and this year they are 6'+. Should be 12' by next summer and with some pruning they fill in very quickly.

  26. #26muskoka guy2014-10-12 21:49

    As stated you can clearly see utilities marked out. If you have no experience on machinery, you would not be able to complete the job any cheaper renting equipment. Hiring an experienced operator will turn out just as cheap as trying to do it yourself. They know the best way to do things and will keep you from getting in trouble by hitting utilities. This can get real expensive fast. Seems strange that the neighbor can have a higher fence than you. Whats up with that. Most towns have fencing bylaws and they apply to all equally.

  27. #27Shimmy12014-10-12 22:22

    Halliwellc, I will give some advice on the dirt work. Sounds like you are determined to do it yourself. Good for you. AFTER you call in a locate, everything has been marked, you have waited the required amount of time, AND you have hand-dug the utilities to verify their location and depth, a 5 ton mini-ex with a 4 ft ditch cleaning bucket should work wonderful. Rent yourself a slope laser and find a buddy to run stick for you. Survey the ditch downstream, maybe you can clean the ditch somewhat. Just don't go any deeper than what will run downstream. That way if the city gets pissed you can say you were fixing the drainage for free, but you would be more than happy to send them a bill and maybe rile everyone else up to get their ditch cleaned out.

  28. #28td25c2014-10-12 23:20

    Sounds like the city is hard to please . I noticed in the picture the posts look 6 foot tall . Did you build the fence 6 foot to begin with then cut the cover boards off at 4 foot ? To be honest ..... At this stage in the game in life I would build what I wanted to start with similar to the neighbors fence . About 6 foot tall . Nice looking fence . If the city comes by to complain about it , simply tell them to Go to Hell .