Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

How do I remove the sun gear? No bolts/clips on the cover!

Sniffy · 2024-05-16 22:51

I have a dead ex-58mu Hitachi that I need to load up onto a ramp trailer. Normally I would unbolt the 6 or 8 bolts around the drive front cover then remove the sun gear. Temporary neutral. This final drive is different. There are no bolts. There isn't a indented ring for a circlip or anything other than a thin seam showing around the face plate. The parts diagram suggests that there is a hidden wire clip behind the threaded face plate that acts like a lock ring. Any idea how to put this machine into neutral or remove the front plate?

Replies29
  1. #1Tyler d4c2024-05-16 23:19

    Cover should push inward just slightly then you dig the spring ring out. They can be a bugger. This is assuming it is the style it appears to be to me

  2. #2Nige2024-05-16 23:30

    I concur. Find the end of the split ring (circlip) #26 and go digging. The cover will have to go inwards just fractionally to loosen the pressure on the ring but it's probably so stuck by now you might have to get brutal with both the cover and the ring.

  3. #3skyking12024-05-16 23:49

    might I suggest some penetrating oil and sleeping on it, if you can.

  4. #4Sniffy2024-05-16 23:49

    Nope. Its not visible from the outside. This ring is internal. I tapped the assembly with a hammer to loosen it but nothing. The space between the round front cover and the side housing is the thickness of a business card, with no circlip

  5. #5Tyler d4c2024-05-16 23:53

    Did you push inward on the cover. A mallet maybe required.

  6. #6Cmark2024-05-17 02:09

    My best guess is that on assembly, the hook on wire 1 engages with the notch 2 and is wound in through the hole 3. Like on some cheap hydraulic cylinders. Disassembly will be the reverse. Fish the end of the wire out through hole 3 and turn the cover.

  7. #7Tones2024-05-17 06:30

    Usually the ends of the wire locking ring is near the oil drain hole. With a small flat screwdriver or pick scratch around until you find the ends. Sometimes the wire hasn't been installed properly and is nowhere near the drain hole so find the end and mark its location. Then with a 3mm drill bore a hole no more than 10mm in from the outside of the barrel of the hub near the localition mark approx at 3 on Cmarks diagram. Now with a small diameter drift you can punch the wire out. Keep pressure on the the cover plate during this operation. Don't ask how I know this ****.

  8. #8shopguy2024-05-17 06:51

    Can’t get to the sprocket bolts?

  9. #9Sniffy2024-05-17 13:20

    This is the external view. Note the zero clearance between the housing and the cover.

  10. #10Sniffy2024-05-17 13:24

    The all knowing crystal ball says that there is a road trip to Kelowna BC in your near future...

  11. #11Vetech632024-05-17 16:57

    They are right about the circlip snap ring. It's very small diameter and only holds the cover in place. There is also a very small and thin oring seal. I'de bet that you are just not seeing it.

  12. #12Tones2024-05-17 18:50

    My passports good to go, how's your wallet? Travel time from the Sth West Pacific is huge.

  13. #13mg23612024-05-18 06:08

    The cover comes off as Cmark said. What we do is weld some extensions onto plugs #5 (you will need new plugs after this), place the plugs with extensions back into their holes, then use a big pry bar to turn the cover to walk the ring out. You might have to tap the cover to break any rust free and spray generously with penetrating oil to help with the process.

  14. #14John Shipp2024-05-19 15:39

    As shopguy says, whizz the sprocket bolts out?

  15. #15skyking12024-05-19 16:13

    Back to my post about oil and tincture of time.

  16. #16skyking12024-05-19 16:16

    Kelowna is not too far. I can come up and hit it with the BFH ( big friendly hammer ) for a little less than @Tones Just a little Last time we were there I was still drinking and we wine toured our way up the Okanagan.

  17. #17Sniffy2024-05-20 23:24

    Wine and flailing hammers. I can almost hear the sirens now...

  18. #18Tones2024-05-21 00:32

    Have you got that planetary hub apart yet? You're going to need some info for reassemble so I won't do your head in just yet.

  19. #19Sniffy2024-05-25 01:23

    I'm weenie-ing out. I'm looking for a crane truck to just lift it up and onto the deck.

  20. #20Tones2024-05-25 07:03

    Blank the pipes then use the digger to do the lifting.

  21. #21John Shipp2024-05-26 00:48

    Sounds like the digger is dead, Tones.

  22. #22Sniffy2024-05-28 13:58

    I thought about removing the hydraulic lines into it but from what I could see the drives need pressure to deactivate the internal brakes. Just waiting now for the tow truck to fit me into a back haul. He'll just drag it the 10' up the deck

  23. #23Tones2024-05-29 02:24

    A way of moving equipment with hydraulic drive is to remove the bolts from the sprocket and let it slip on the hub. With caution the sprocket won't come off the hub and has to come off anyway to fix the planetary.

  24. #24John Shipp2024-05-29 02:45

    Sniffy, what actually is the problem with the digger? It doesn't run, engine out of action? Cheers.

  25. #25shopguy2024-05-29 08:55
  26. #26Sniffy2024-05-30 13:47
  27. #27Sniffy2024-05-30 13:49

    The provious owner backed his trailer into the valve bank and sheared off the spool towers. The hydraulics can't be run until repaired.

  28. #28skyking12024-05-30 13:57

    oh crap he really speared it!

  29. #29Tones2024-05-30 19:27

    Geez, that was clever.