Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

how do you level?

xrlentau6 ยท 2008-02-07 05:42

Well there's a bit more to it but I will take all the help I can get. I live in the driest continent on earth, but also the driest state in the driest continent. When you think it might be dry here we are in the middle of one of the worst droughts for a long time. My problem is the soil around here is all clay based and with a lot of building going on people want 100mm (4") of soil taken out so they can pave etc. I am using a Bobcat 753 with a 4in1 bucket. Scrapping it with the blade open will only wear out the bucket before I get anywhere. When trying to dig with the teeth the ground is so hard when I get a start it comes out in clumps about a foot square. *my idea is to just dig whatever comes out so that I am at least as deep as I need even if I end up 200mm (8") deep and then back fill, and hopefully I have found some finer soil by then. Any other ideas more than welcome as I am now looking at jobs that need to be dug and leveled as full day jobs and charging that way. Dont want to be missing out on work if theres a trick I dont know about. Thanks for any help.

Videos in this topic

Browse the full video library

Replies19
  1. #1BIGBEN20042008-02-07 08:25

    I would try a attachment called a Land level which has scarifier's on it to help break loose the soil first. That might work for you. It is allot easier to push the hooks on it though the hard dirt to break it loose then it is to push a bucket though it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFrLPaRd-aU Use that link to see one in action on youtube.

  2. #2bobcat ron2008-02-07 12:27

    Those things are the best!

  3. #3stumpjumper832008-02-11 19:21

    try spraying water on the earth and bucket up the mud...? or roto-till it maybe...

  4. #4xrlentau62008-02-12 04:05

    spraying water? I wish we are only allowed to trun the hose on once a week over here, rivers really dry. But am looking at a could of land plane options that might work,.

  5. #5stumpjumper832008-02-12 06:20

    wait, why not use a grader or a grader attachment? With the way you can adjust the pitch on the mouldboard it might not pull chunks and the graders have rippers as atachments. PSI makes a mini grader, and ce attachments makes a grader attachment for a skid steer.

  6. #6redkat2008-02-15 01:17

    why not use a 5 point ripper attachment which you can just pickup and use with your 4 in 1......................ripper teeth are replaceable.

  7. #7mikef872008-02-15 05:52

    Don't waste your time with a leeboy 835 grader, I had one it was good to filling in, but when it came time to cut material out it wouldn't cut anything.

  8. #8xrlentau62008-03-17 02:00

    Thanks for your help on here guys. Since looking into this I have got a 5 point ripper bar that clips into the 4in1, cost me less than $500 and has already paid for itself. Am now able to rip the dirt up and drop the ripper out and come back and scrap out up to 50 mm (depending on the soil type). I have been then leaving myself some of thge better soil that I take out to back fill to bring up to grade. Have also got a new laser, and had a bar welding onto the leveling bar that I can attach a laser reciever to which has the led lights for to high or low, and the green for on grade. All this for around $1,500 and gives me a much better job in far less time. note, have also now put my rates up. Just by $5 an hour for now.

  9. #9jmf2008-03-17 10:38

    "5 point ripper attachment which you can just pickup and use with your 4 in 1" Does anyone have a link to website where this attachment can be seen/purchased? jmf

  10. #10TriHonu2008-03-17 17:09

    I'm guessing it attaches like the spreader bar in this thread... Wisconsin Metal Fab also makes the Power Bucket which has a built in hydraulic scarifier.

  11. #11Countryboy2008-03-17 21:54

    Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums jmf! :drinkup

  12. #12capt_met2008-03-18 15:18

    i use a 3 point boxblade with ripper teeth on it hooked to adapter plate for the backhoe. would like to set up a smaller version for the dingo.

  13. #13jmf2008-03-18 15:41

    That's one source, I'm surprised that I cannot find other vendors for this attachment. I alos wonder if they can be designed to be used in a forward direction. BTW, thanks for the hello. jmf

  14. #14Mustang20602008-03-23 12:20

    Hi Guys, I am going to be constructing a private grass runway for my ultralight plane. It will be in a older hay field in central NY, good dirt, fairly level but the hay is growing in tufts making the field very rough. I have a Mustang 2060 and access to rental attachments ie: Rockhound and such. How can I make a 900' X 30' smooth grass strip? Thanks in advance Rod

  15. #15jmf2008-03-23 15:47

    Did the local zoning code cause any problems in getting your permit? jmf

  16. #16ASPHALT042008-03-23 16:13

    If it were me , I would see if you couldn't find a farmer or someone to plow up the area just to make things a little more workable for your skidloader.

  17. #17tuney4432008-03-24 08:09

    10,000 hungry sheep:exactly

  18. #18Mustang20602008-03-24 16:06

    Never asked or told....never thought I would need one. I'm just basicaly just changing the seed and smoothing the center of my hay field.... The farmer next door has a 1800' X 75' runway (grass) and had no probs... I hope I won't Have you had a problem in the western part of the state?

  19. #19Mustang20602008-03-24 16:10

    Yeah, a farmer friend work it real good with disks, then seed and roll it.