Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

How do you set outriggers?

emmett518 ยท 2022-06-24 08:14

When I dig with my hoe, I lay the front bucket flat on the ground(locked). I put the outriggers down, and when I feel the cab lift a tiny bit, I stop. Is this correct? Or should I lift the entire hoe off the ground by a lot? Thanks

Replies12
  1. #1NH575E2022-06-24 08:53

    Same here but I'm often on a grade so I try to level the cab with them. Sometimes I have to keep an pushing them down if the ground is soft.

  2. #2Swetz2022-06-24 09:01

    Sounds right to me...What you do not want to do is jack the back of the tractor 3 feet in the air with the stabilizers. You gain nothing, and loose depth.

  3. #3DMiller2022-06-24 10:37

    They are but a stability and leveling system, as noted just down enough to do both.

  4. #4Tinkerer2022-06-24 11:29

    Applying the parking brake will provide more resistance to the machine from moving when in a hard pull with the backhoe. If the ground is really soft or on wet grass roll the front bucket completely over in the dump position and it will usually stop any sliding, especially on a slope. With those conditions raising the front wheels off of the ground will help even more to prevent sliding. If it still slides you would need to tie the tractor to another machine. That is commonly done when digging on steep slopes.

  5. #5emmett5182022-06-24 14:08

    I had seen guys on street excavations lift the backhoe way up in the air. That seemed like not a great idea, but I figured I'd ask.

  6. #6Tinkerer2022-06-24 14:39

    Not everyone running machines know how to do it correctly.

  7. #7funwithfuel2022-06-24 14:44

    They might have raised up high to dump into high wall dump trailers vs little 6 wheelers.

  8. #8Billrog2022-06-24 15:40

    Raise it high to see the bottom of the ditch better as well when it's deep.

  9. #9berky2022-06-25 06:49

    Rolling the bucket over to full dump will help, but I suggest that don't go all the way to full dump. With the cylinder piston in full extend and bottomed out on the head gland, it puts all the load (weight of the front end plus extraneous digging forces) on the piston nut. Good way to damage the cylinder or even bend the rod.

  10. #10Billrog2022-06-25 12:58

    When you roll the bucket it's important both front and back edges are planted firmly. Also not just on one corner of the bucket taking all the weight .

  11. #11Dan580Ks2023-08-19 04:03

    Level with stabilizers first, then lower bucket. To move, raise bucket first

  12. #12JL Sargent2023-08-19 05:31

    I like to get the machine level with the outriggers when possible. Living on a mountain can have its challenges. Having the machine level leads to level grading being performed as we go. Plus, it's nice to work sitting in a level machine.