Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

How does this scraper unload?

Todd P ยท 2016-01-29 09:28

Can someone tell me how this scraper unloads? I think it is an International Harvester. I don't see the sheeves in back to push out the front. What model?

Replies11
  1. #1RonG2016-01-29 10:02

    It looks like there is a sheave on top of the ejector there and it should move forward once you lift the apron.Ron G

  2. #2RZucker2016-01-29 22:42

    I'm betting that sheave on the rear tips the entire floor up to roll the load out. Probably hinged just behind the cutting edge.

  3. #3Oxbow2016-01-30 11:48

    RZucker got it. It dumps rather than pushing the material out.

  4. #4RZucker2016-01-30 19:03

    I just wish I could Id the maker, it looks like it's ready to work, just add tractor. That particular dump method uses a whole lot less wire rope than most ejector gate rigs, i.e. Cat and others, probably takes less windup on the cable unit drum too.

  5. #5Oxbow2016-01-30 20:28

    I'm kinda puzzled by the bars on the back. Are they just added support for the stinger do you suppose? It definitely is built lighter than the Cat cans.

  6. #6oldseabee2016-01-31 08:48

    Looks like they hold up a drawbar to add another scraper or a packer to compact the dirt just unloaded.

  7. #7Heavey Metal2016-01-31 19:36

    Push block?

  8. #8Oxbow2016-01-31 20:14

    Yes, I think it is a push block, but I don't think you could get away with picking a loaded can up with the dozer on this one.

  9. #9johan72016-02-01 05:41

    Hello , I think it is a Heil scraper , later IH . The dumping system was called "roll out - push out" . The floor and the tailgate is one piece . The floor pivots just behind the cutting edges as you can seen on the picture . The same system was used by Euclid for many years . Have a nice day , johan7

  10. #10johan72016-02-01 10:09

    Again , found a pic of a similar scraper of that era ( Bucyrus Erie ) . johan7

  11. #11Todd P2016-02-01 13:56

    Thanks for the pictures and info. I think cable operated scrapers are interesting. So many different designs as they were trying to figure out what worked best. Edit: Also would stickey soil hang up in this type of scraper. The smaller farm style dump the whole bowl so the soil can stick like a backhoe bucket. With the sides being stationary that might not be a problem.