Is the Case dealer the best place to buy a new starter for my old 1969 Case 580CK for $366 or are there better options? The nose cone casting broke off but the starter only had about 400 hours on it. thx
try ebay and amazon
It most likely has a Delco-Remy starter that any starter/alternator rebuilder should be able to repair. Did you happen to turn the engine slowly and check the teeth in the flywheel ring gear ? I remember your previous thread with the photos of the broken starter frame. Was the end of the armature shaft still on it ? It appeared that there may be more to repair than just the starter frame.
Here is a pic of the starter. Does it look ok otherwise, other than the broken nose cone piece? I though it was all one piece. Are you saying they sell that end, nose cose piece seperatly somewhere? thanks again
Tinkerer is on the right path. Unless the starter came loose you have a ring gear problem. You need to look it over carefully. Make a mark with some paint and slowly turn it or have some one else turn it while you watch for damaged teeth. Wengers from Myerstown, Pa. is a good salvage yard for parts.
I'm sorry I'm so ignorant about this stuff, but how would a worn ring gear cause the nose cone to break, I thought it would just slip which would just make a high pitched whine sound. Sometimes, it sounds like it's not aligned & makes a high pitched whine sound. I guess I need to know what a worn ring gear looks like. All the teeth are there but you’re saying maybe they have like champher ends or something?There must be a lot of strees on that nose cone end to break it I would think. Thanks again for the HELP. By my reply, I'm sure you can tell I need a lot of it.
BTW, no teeth are missing on the ring gear, which is what I was looking for initially, incase that matters. thx
Just an idea has starting fluid been used to start this tractor on a cold morning? That could, if too much was used, cause the engine to kick back and possibly break the nose. Also it appears the bushing is missing from the nose piece and the end of shaft looks like it may have seized in the bushing. If the bushing broke up and a chunk of it got caught between the stater gear and ring gear that could be another way the nose would get broke.
I wound up buying a new delco remy starter off amazon thru rarelectric. The starter is more compact and has plenty of power to turn it over.
No need to apologize scram. You are not ignorant. You are just involved in something new to you and need to ask questions. The whining sound you hear once in a while is the starting motor spinning freely because the Bendix drive did not move the little gear into the teeth on the flywheel. That starter gear looks awful nasty. It has been grinding against the ring-gear before engaging it. Although all the teeth may be on the flywheel ring gear, it still could need replacing. The ring-gear teeth can have a lot of wear on them and still have a lot of life left in them. But, if the teeth are all chewed up like the gear on the starter your new starter won't last very long. Usually there are different areas on a flywheel ring gear that will have more wear than other spots because an engine has tendency to stop turning in the same places because of the compression in the engine cylinders.
Since I found 2 little spring clips that hold the clutch fingers, broken w/ the other parts in the bottom of the torque tube & as one of you experts mentioned on my other thread, it may not disengage so should I split it to see what’s up? What about the othe parts that the finger spring clips were supposed to holding place, are they going to flying off as well? At the same time maybe replace the ring gear? Does someone re-manufacture the flywheel w/ a new ring gear or is this something the Case dealer can repair or I can repair? Thanks again
I can't comment on your clutch since I have never split a 580. I can tell you the ring-gear is simply that. A steel ring with the teeth cut on it. They are quite easy to replace once the flywheel is removed from the crankshaft. Be careful to not over heat the new one just before you install it. There are a lot of videos on Utube showing how it is done. If you do split it and remove the flywheel, it is the perfect time to replace the rear crankshaft oil seal.
Yes ring gears are very easy to replace, once the flywheel is off that is! Just use a hammer and punch to tap it off a little at a time working around the flywheel. Wear safety glasses as the gear is hard and chips might fly. If you buy the new gear from the Case dealer they should tell you how hot to get it to put it on. If it will fit in your oven at home, while wife is gone , let it heat up for maybe 1/2 hour, Then with insulated gloves carefully place it on the flywheel. You did make note of which way faces up right? Do not be worried if it seems too big, let it cool down and it will be nice and tight.
You should be able to get an aftermarket ring-gear for about $60.00. The ones I have seen do not have the teeth chamfered on one side like they did years ago. That means there is no wrong way to put it on. By all means use an oven to heat it and go about 75 degrees hotter than Case recommends. It makes a world of difference in how easy the ring-gear will go on the fly-wheel.
Thanks so much for all the info. Sure do appreciate you guys. I’ll keep my fingers crossed that no more parts go flying while it's running for the few minutes it will take to maneuver the front loader up & backhoe in to position so I can block everything to split it. Hopefully it won’t damage my new starter for just this one time of use. My friend just split it about 20 hours of use ago, to put in a new clutch & rear engine seal which I assume is ok since it doesn’t leak but maybe he missed something w/ the finger spring clips? I’m ecstatic since I thought those starter nose cone chunks came from a broken torque tube housing which would mean splitting the tractor even further back, over the transmission, lifting out steering column, fuel tank, much bigger job. So glad I don’t have to go that far … I hope. Thanks again
Welcome to HEF, James ! Did you have a question or comment ? Quite often members will quote someones post and there is no other content in the reply like you did just now. I often wonder if part of the reply is somehow deleted when it is posted.
Scram, those flat metal clips fit over the adjusting bolts for the pressure plate, they are there to pull the plate away from the flywheel for clutch disengagement, They hold nothing and if you have a smooth clutch engagement and disengagement I would not worry about them. As far as the starter, the sound of grinding many times is the internal sprag slipping in the drive gear, not necessarily grinding on engagement with the ring gear, the drive may e fully engaged and still have a failed sprag slipping and making noise. Many times when this occurs when the drive is examined the drive gear will move freely in both directions.....AS others have noted, the engine stops at the same approximate place at shutoff so ring gear wear there would be noticeably more severe there.