I have a '85 new holland L455 skid. Hydraulic pump went out. Anyone ever change one? Is this a take it to the dealer or DIY project? thx WS
I have never done that model but on most skids swapping a hydraulic pump is quite basic. Trouble shooting the lower pressure problem could involve something besides a pump swap though. Are you sure the pressure is low and its not a faulty relief valve? Ken
actually not sure if it is the pump. Just assumed it I guess. Hyd were weak then nothing. It wont move at all and the bucket wont move. Just figured with complete shut down it was the pump. Any ideas? :beatsme:beatsme
Think i'd pull the pump or at least the pressure line off and see if its pumping oil when you crank it over. Maybe the drive on/to the pump broke. hard to imagine it still turning and being to weak to lift the empty bucket or the relief letting that much oil go by. (not saying its impossible, but not likely) Ken
this is the coupling for the hydro pumps. if you lost both drive and lift i would say #1 is bad. definetely pull hydraulic pump then crank over to see if the drive shaft is turning.
Ok thanks guys... I pulled the main pump and the shaft is NOT turning. So now what? Pull the motor out? replace the coupler thanks.
i would unbolt the hyrdro pumps from the engine and pull back to look at the coupler. i don't recall if on that model if it easier to remove pumps or engine, i would lean toward the engine
Yep Yep, Thats my thoughts also. Just got in and heading toward the shop in a min. Roll up them sleaves and get covered in hydro oil. lol Anyone care to help...:tong I got beeeer ha ha Let you know what i find.
wow... def more than a 1 beer project. :drinkup:drinkup:drinkup Pulled the two pumps and the one that bolts to the bellhousing was cracked. the two tabs where the bolts go thru were broken off. I then dropped the fuel tank and pulled off the bellhousing took off the coupler thingy. Noticed that the splines were wore so i looked at the pump spline (male end) and it too was wore. I put them together and floppy floppy. Wore out no bite at all. So new pump and new coupler and we be back in business. I think. WS
sounds like you definitely found your problem. looks like it might get expensive. you might look into replacing the hydro pumps as a set since you are this far. or there are several rebuilders around where i live. there is a place i recommend in wis. they are called SunSource Hydraulics. i can get a contact for you if needed. here is their website. http://www.sunsrce.com/
Ok,, update time Hydro trans that bolts to bell housing had a broken housing which was letting the shaft move around. Wore out the coupling and shaft. Purchased new pump, barely found one. loaderpartssource.com found me one. Ouch... Put it in and buttoned everything up. Complete fluid and filter change for whole rig. Seemed to run good but boom and bucket were kinda week. Since I had a new hyd pump sitting here I put it on and solved that problem. Now I notice that both cylinders for boom are leaking some around the seals. Ive ordered new seal kits. Shouldnt be hard to fix. I have discovered a leak which seems to be coming from between the two hyd transmissions. The specs do not show a gasket. I think that the cavity between the two is supposed to be dry. Not sure what that is about. Might be shaft seal is bad on the original trans. Any ideas? If so is that a diy job or send it out? I guess I will pull it back out one day and see. Just have to let it leak for now. So at this time I have $5k total invested. Not bad.
if its leaking from the older hydro pump. it should be just a plain lip type seal w/spring. not to hard to change, you just have to pull it out again
:Banghead:Banghead:Banghead:Banghead:Banghead:Banghead