Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

How much paint? Decal sets

Ralph ยท 2008-01-22 19:01

Painting my Bobcat 753 soon. Does anybody remember how much paint they used on the body? Just got the engine out and I'll be painting the engine compartment too. (Having rings, bearings, and head work done) Also, what can you tell me about decals. Anything to watch out for. Thanks!

Replies6
  1. #1Willis Bushogin2008-01-22 19:47

    paint To answer you in a long sentence. Not sure if you are going to get Bobcat paint or?? usually the Bobcat paint and other manufactures are not the best. What I did for my Cat. was buy a qt. of Cat color (I think it was $15) and took it to Napa and they got the color and matched it, with a good paint. I also got a clear coat. Now to try to answer your question, if you are going to paint inside the cab, engine comp and outside, I would buy at least 1/2 gallon of paint, plus the additives. This is a 2 part paint, not like the one part you get from dealers (OK maybe not all dealers) I bought a 1980 Cat D5 dozer, it had the original paint and I painted it with a good 2 part paint, with clear coat, it looks almost like a new one, send me a email and if I can find the picture I will email it to you. Send $150 +- and save you a lot of time later, when the cheap paint fades. I keep my machines looking good, it makes a difference with the customers and its a pain in the upper legs, to clean, sand, mask, cover, paint, uncover, unmask, decals, etc. So my thing is do it right the first time. If you are not familar with painting, 2 part paint, Napa can show you how to mix it, really no problem. When Im to busy to paint, we have a local paint guy, thats always looking for weekend work, he works at a body shop during the week. I dont live that far from you, if you could get it here (New Bern) he might paint it for you. Well thats a long answer, hope my 2 cents worth helps, look at my website and if I can help, I pay finders fees www.willisforestrymulching.com

  2. #2Ralph2008-01-22 20:31

    What did you do for a primer? Thanks for the great insights and advice. I can see where an epoxy system would make for great paint. What did you do for a primer? Was it also a two part paint? If I had any sense, I'd take it to a professional painter. But then I'd miss all the fun and have to find a new project! Although as much as I'd like to tear into and engine, I'm glad I turned it over to pro. By the way, enjoyed your web site. I bet your clients are happy with you turning everything into wood chips. Again, thanks for the sharing the advice!

  3. #3TALLRICK2008-01-24 00:16

    I am getting ready for my own Bobcat painting project. Just got an 843 that needs work, it's got rust and will be repainted to look new. My old M-610 which looks OK I painted 20 years ago and it's due for a freshening. When I paint a machine it's also time for a teardown and rebuild. I never have to mask anything as the engine, and all non-white parts are out for the paint job. Sandblasting is used for rust, and I fill the pits with welding or hot lead before smoothing out and prime and paint. The paint gun I used was a pressure feed with remote tank, and a smaller gravity feed gun. The paint I used was industrial enamel, it is OK but not the best. This time I want to go to a higher level of finish and durability. Just not sure what product to get. The other thing will be decals. I actually have 3 machines, an M610, a OMC 1700 and my 843. The Bobcat M610 has the classic jumping Bobcat while the 843 has the cool bobcat head I like best. I am not sure if all decals can still be bought, or I will have to silk screen the prints instead.

  4. #4f1racer2009-01-11 23:45

    Just wondering how you are removing the old paint with blasting or soda or dry ice just wondering what is the best way.

  5. #5TCHADWELL2009-02-03 11:52

    If it were mine I would spray the engine compartment first, and get the engine painted and put back in and running so you would not have to scratch it up putting it back together, also it will be a lot easier paint and touch up at the same time if it is in running condition to where you can move it and touch up the arms wheels and ect. check out some of our pics here www.candcequippaint.com

  6. #6bobcat7532009-02-11 15:17

    there are some kits on ebay, although they look a bit different then the ones on my machine. I plan on doing this in the summer as well.