Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

how much should i charge friend/contractor for using my personal 2004 f-150 on job

planetshapers ยท 2010-04-23 00:11

hey. i am helping a friend contractor. i have been using my personal f150 on his jobs. pulling a hay blower..hauling hay..or employees...or going after supplies. what is a fair price to charge him? by the mile? i need to cover myself..but not over charge either. what are people getting per mile? it has the 5.4 engine and i am working in the western carolina mountains. 4x4 truck. hay blower weighs around 2900 pounds tops.... i am getting between 11 mpg and 15mpg according to my computer display. i need to bill him ASAP!! any help would be appreciated!

Replies8
  1. #1diggerdave19582010-04-23 07:51

    Well its been a few years now since i was paid by the milage but back then it was like .38 per mile and your hourly pay?? not sure what they would do today. and just keep in mind that Friends/Business don't always mixes well and has he told u bill me for your time and milage ???

  2. #2du5tyl2010-04-27 12:37

    I would charge the fed rate for mileage: http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=216048,00.html That would be fair to cover your wear and tear, maintenance, etc. I agree with diggerdave - friends and business do not always mix.

  3. #3LeeD2010-04-27 15:41

    I would also aim for $0.50 per mile and think $0.40 would be on the low end.

  4. #4joispoi2010-04-27 16:23

    You might want to give your insurance agent a call and ask if you're covered if you're pulling his trailer. Insurance companies will use anything as an excuse not to pay. Might be better off knowing what their position is on commercial trailers.

  5. #5Willis Bushogin2010-04-27 19:17

    truck rate Im talking from experience on this one, I had the same situation with one of my friends that used to work for me. I was letting him use his truck for odd jobs and i was putting gas in his truck. I felt like I was putting more gas in the truck, than I was getting use out of it. We were extremely busy during this time and I just never thought about asking him about paying him extra. After two weeks, he give me a bill for $300, of course I took the time to discuss it then. I paid him what he asked and I told him not to use his truck on the job anymore, it caused a little tension and he quit after a few weeks. We still talk, but we are not friends like we used to be. I really dont know who was right and wrong, but not having everything agreed upon in advance can cause problems. Then there is the insurance issues, if he was hauling my other employees and got in a accident going to the job, then that could be a major issue. If your insurance knew you were using your truck on your employers job, that might be a issues also. Did he ask you to use your truck on his job? Did he tell you he would pay you for using this? This is what I would do, if you want to stay friends 1 If you didnt have a prearranged agreement to use your truck, then I would ask him what is fair to use your truck. With work being slow and profits less than ever, its hard to pay big bucks for any service unless it was in the job quote Good Luck and dont wear your truck out, trying to help a friend. Even at the going rate of ???? you will have a truck thats worn out and nothing to show for it Just my 2 cents worth

  6. #6Speedpup2010-04-27 19:41

    big added risk call your insurance company because they will tell you not to do it. I am in business and I can't rent a piece of equipment to someone.

  7. #7swampdog2010-04-28 20:18

    In western Canada we get 50 cents per kilometer for driving a car. That works out to 80 cents a mile. A pickup likely cost more to run.

  8. #8Dozerboy2010-05-01 23:05

    I get 0.50 a mile from my boss sometimes more depending on what I'm doing. If I was doing what your doing I would be getting more, but my truck is my baby.