I was just wondering how old everyones truck is, and how long you keep it. Ours is a 1997, it is in really good shape as we don't put many miles on it. We have added many extras, and anytime I go thru DOT they say how nice it is. I thought maybe it would go this year, but with fuel prices and the economy so unstable I think she's here to stay another year! Here is a link to pics of my truck after some paint last winter.
Ours is a 95 and just had the body redone over the winter. Ours is in great shape aswell and we dont put many miles on either, I think theres only 60,000 miles on it. I dont think we will get a new one for a while. We keep the truck washed up and lookin good and like nedly said when you go through DOT checks most of the time they just give us a quick glance and wave us on.l pics
We have a 89' Autocar tri-axle with a 400 cummins and a 84' Diamond Reo tandem axle tractor with a cummins big cam 400.
1987 Autocar 300 Cummins, 8 sp S/A 12 foot body with 11' plow & wing setup. Going to take the wing off.
My 1994 F800 "Mud Truck" 24' body, Turned up 8.3 Cummins(325 hp), 6 speed. 1991 Mack DM690SX 300 6 speed 58R 20F 12.00R24 tires 18' body
My truck is a 68 Pete, 358a model, power is 1674 Cat, two 4 spd trans, 4:63 ratio SQHDs, it has been a good old horse. I use it everyday in the summer and fall and occasionally in winter. The first Picture it is hauling a D9 and the second only a little D7.
Great pics guys, keep em comin!!
1990 International tandom dump. Just bought it just a month ago. More pics and info under thread " Bought a Dump Truck"...:drinkup
Nice pictures everybody, but my favorites are the first two.
Thanks!!:drinkup
This is what its all about, a 40 year old Pete still earning a living and not many computers and ECU's to worry about going wrong.:usa
2005 Paystar. Either a new Paystar or Mack Titan before 2010 emmissions regs kick in. (if I can still afford fuel by then )
hey cat d 9 is that pete idleing? 1674 should look like a freight train on a hard pull!! I used to work on those OHC motors boy did they run till the crankshaft broke, most guys repowered cause they didn't have money to fix just like KT Cumaparts
At home, used to run a '72 Autocar(up til 97) with a 255 Cummins in it. Second truck is an 89 Cornpicker 350 Cummins 9 speed, sold that to the company I work for now. The other truck I get to drive is the binder '88 tri axle ol Detroit in it, typical DD screams like mad. Trbo 1. The autocar. 2. single axle dodge, before my time 3. The "new" Intl and the autocar 4. The Intl painted to match the pickups.
Pics of the "Binder" and the black freighshaker I drove for my cousin hauling corn(Class of 86) 3406 CAT, dual str8 pipes, 13 speed. Trbo 1. Corn hauling 2. Digger Hauling
Thanks!
One of my trucks is a good ole '85 Mack. I'll be glad when it stops snowing. :usa p.s.- Thanks Steve for making the pics easier to post. doug
1987 International Cabover. 400 big cam Cummins, 13 speed, 3:70 rears. Well, it was dirt cheap!! Runs great, jakes stick from time to time so ya better be payin' attention.:guns:guns
DidDug, I recognize that pic from plowsite! My neighbor had an old transtar, it had one rear axle and a drop axle, he built a short box for it. It was a nice truck, dont have any pics though.
!991 international 4900, 466,10 speed with ultra low and lockers. It's not very fast or very powerful but I'm sure I can always get there. The other is a 79 RL600L Mack. It's not a heavy duty dog but it hauls what I need just fine. I'm usually hauling stumps and brush away, and fill and large rock back in. added a lift gate and no hassle dumping anymore. Dependable and great short haul or site truck. All it's good attributes almost make up for the cramped quarters and lack of headroom.
yes , i get there from time to time. I like to see all the different plow set ups and new stuff. doug
Heres my old 87 Mack r688st
Thats one SWEET setup there!
Thanks alot i sure like it.
here is ours it is a 1988 Pete 379 230"WB,Cummins BigCam 4 400 with RTX14715 15 spd tranny ,3.55 rears 15 ft Davis bed with liner and elec tarp also has pintle hook up for pup trailer see my pictures@ Get New Truck Back Thurs thread
Mack688 That is a kick@ss setup you have. That is exactly the kind of setup I am looking to get. I missed out on a few good older macks though, those things go like hotcakes! My trailer is also a triaxle instead of duals. boo!
79 GMC 6000, it's a work in progress. What do you guys think of the recent flames?
Pretty slick!!
Sweet flame job :drinkup Now you need some stacks.
Thanks for the compliment preppypro, i baby this truck alot, i wouldnt trade it for anything.
Here are some of the trucks I have driven. The Mack is a 2005 and this is when it was new. The KW is a 2001 and this is it at about a year old. I just drive the things, the money is in the seat not the title.
I am probably all alone, but man I have a soft spot for mack granites!!!
Thanks. But it's a gas motor so the stacks really wouldn't work.
Heck ya you can put stacks on a gas job and they soud great ,especially duals...:drinkup
'05 and '63
2002 379 Pete heavy spec,Turned up C16, 18 speed, 46,000 full lockers.
Very nice foster, that is one slick pete you have there!!
Thanks she will out pull 90% of the trucks on the road and is the most comfortable truck I have ever run.
Hey Dirt Hauler I like those Granites and that Rd model. That company was featured in an issue of Macks Bulldog magazine a couple issues ago eh? I love Macks. I was always a Mack man but my 2000 E7 460 was such a disappointment and I got such a good deal on my Binder I switched in 2005. I really like the new Granites though. And that Titan may be enough to lure me back. Some of the past Macks I've driven were a couple 350 R models (dump and tractors) and a couple E9 500 Superliners and an E9 500 Ultraliner cabover with a five axle Raglan hydraglide dump trailer. Here's a pic of one of the old R Models. The dump box and pony were pretty shabby looking in this pic. That salt sure took a toll. Had to blast and paint every couple years.
yeah that is Scarsella Brothers of Kent WA. Mack should have been paying them to do R&D work for them, we were working on a 9 Mil yard mass fill and working trucks 20 hours a day. About 3500 miles a week total on them and they bought at least 30 tractors and 10 dump trucks. The dump trucks were 2004s and the tractors were 2005s. We helped Mack so much do the the extreme amount of miles we were putting on them, and by also having two differnt platforms to help determine causes of problems. The local Mack dealer had 3 tractors that they simply used to rob parts off of in order to keep the fleet on the road, since most of the issues were warrentee anyway and in the end they bought them three anyway. I was amazing to me how consistant the failure of a certain part would be. For example the fan clutch issue, withing 5000 miles of each other (50,000-55,000) 75% of the fleet had the fan clutch fail. It was about a 10k spread for the coolant resivors. OMG and don't get me started on the injector fuel line cracks on the short lines that go into the injector. I swore we were going to burn one of the trucks down to the ground. They would crack and leak on the exhaust manifold. If left unseen, it would get so bad that it looked like a Nascar truck blowing an engine for all the diesel smoke coming out from under the truck. Would fill the cab with smoke too. I could always find those leaks early by just smelling my shirt at the end of the day, any exhaust leak or smoke from the cab will concentrate on your clothes. Good times, was strange to get use to the fact that the position of the driver was moved out toward the drivers side a few inches to widen the cab. You get so use to your own position in the lane that when you switch it up like that you end up keeping your body in the same place in the lane but now the truck is shifted over to the passenger side. Makes for some scary mirror checks till you get your landmarks reestablished. Note that is a live petrolium pipeline supplying the aircraft hardstand that is cast in the CDF (controled density fill) that the excavor is trenching under. Not my idea of fun.
Wow! that's a nice Kenworth.:cool2
1989 Pete, 1978 Mack, 1990 F800
Those trucks look sweet, and love those colors!:thumbsup Got anymore pics?
I see Troy still puts big money in a dumptruck!
yea erthmover...heres a bad picture of the other Pete, the 550, and 2007 pumper truck (before lettering)...the Mack truck pictured is an onsite haul truck for us, the double frame started to separate so its not road worthy anymore
HAHA lol you caught me. That was at the funeral of Ron Scott (elk height's excavation driver who died at Lakeside Iss. coming down from the highlands loaded and was unable to control his speed toward the bottom) This was in 2001 I believe. Troy had 2 trucks and wanted to downsize, however the tax man said he would have to pay lots of $$$ if he did not reinvest it... so he bought 1 pretty truck with the proceeds from the sale of the other two. Both of which were nearly as nice as this one. We did a procession from Sumner to Auburn (Emerald Downs) with about 75 solo dumptrucks, complete with motorcycle escort. we stretched out for over 3/4 of a mile going north and it was the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. It was such a site that we brought southbound traffic to a stop with the sight of all the trucks single file. We even made the King 5 news. Most of us did not even know him personally, but we all have been down that hill. I threw in a photo of Al Arnold and his Peterbilt (with the locomotive horn I sold him on top).
77 C65. Not pretty to look at but I owe every thing I have to this truck. :notworthy I had it for 10 years. How dose anyone make it thu life with out a dump truck? :beatsme
Thankyou for the westside (or should I say wet side) pics! I went to school with Troy's wife.I hav not seen a Stowe truck for a while.Loaded many a few years back.I worked for Terra Dynamics for 10 years.Some things about Puget sound I will always miss. Keep the pics a comming!:usa
1975 Ford F-750 25,500 lb GVWR 391 Gas Engine Clark 280VO Overdrive Trans Eaton 2 Speed Rear Axle Just over 80,000 original miles This truck was bought new by Hobart Bowers and used by his company Reliable Equipment Rental in Buena Park, CA. I worked for him for several years starting in the ‘80s as a laborer, mechanic and operator. I used this truck to move backhoes, skiploaders and other equipment. We would wash and service the trucks and equipment on Saturdays. When we did an oil change we would etch the date, mileage and our initials on the oil filter. I purchased this truck from him in June of 2005 for $3,500. It still had the original owners manual as well as the factory assembly line spec sheet in the glove box. As I was performing a complete service I was surprised to find my initials on the oil filter. I had been the last person to change the oil- in December of 1992- 13 years and less than 1000 miles ago! It's not a fast truck, but drives like a pickup, and I really like it. The first pic is at Vista with the '42 JD the second with three Caterpillars in tow.
DirtHauler, how'd you like working for Scarsella Bros.? They just signed a $52 million job somewhere in Snohomish county, can't remember where the job is. I'm crossing my fingers that I get dispatched to them if they're looking for operator apprentices. Were you driving for them on the 522 overpass job just before Woodinville? I know they were running a wad of those Macks on that project. I take it the 9 million CY job was at SeaTac, right? BTW, that W900 with the flames, nice lookin' rig.
59 B61 673/triplex all original drivetrain, still haulin the goods every weekend.
thats awesome...i would love to buy one of those and restore it...i was at a sale the other day and one sold for $2500, it was in decent shape but obviously needed restoration
Thats a great old Mack, I think I am one of the few on the board that actually likes Macks. The new Granites are great, but I love the old R model. How many miles on her? how many HP? Looks great!
Macks all the way here! What else is there??
old KW from the Paccar collection was tour bus in National park or something.
Random pics of old paccar gas engine, I think. And a couple more of the mysterious FWD truck I found in Hoquiam WA. Some History , looking for more
Great pics dirthauler, that FWD is a great old truck!
We need pics Dug, We need pics!!!
ALL OF THEM...... Actually I'm not really sure, as speedo was replaced. I bought it from local towing company and it was used to pull trailers back from wrecks. It did alot of sitting around for last 25 yrs, so mileage probably isn't too bad. It runs perfect and doesn't use a drop of oil. I've done alot of spit/polish work(previous owner didn't believe in chrome), but mechanically it's sound. NOT MANY It has normally aspirated 673(but it's the hopped up, split intake version), I think it's rated 187 hp. The other version was 170 hp. Thanks for the kind words. It's a fun truck to drive and I use it every weekend to pull my 40ft Haulmark race trailer. I've been 3 states away in it and it's just rolls along at about 63 mph all day on the govn'r.
Those FWD trucks are built about 60 miles away from me, and are similar in concept to the Oshkosh trucks, which are also about 65 miles away from me, in a different town. No offense, but that FWD is kind of an ugly truck! (I mean that in a good way, of course, just in case you own one!) I've always had a soft spot in the head for B series Macks. Almost bought one once. I'm so used to Road Rangers now that it would take me a while to figure out the two sticks... Paul
I made a "training" video a few years ago. I posted it years ago, someone(a few)got ahold of it and posted it on YouTube. It's me in my B model. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KhPcDMGRxw
Okay, now I get it. So what is the pattern of the main box? Standard H with reverse in the upper left? The three speed splitter has 1st in lower left, 2nd in lower right, and third in upper right- correct? Now I won't have lived until I drive with two sticks! Oh well, a new goal to live up to... Nothing quit like the sound of a N/A 673. Thanks, Paul
Here are some pictures of my trucks... Not sure how to post the same pictures on two different threads! www.petersfamilytrucking.com
Yup Paul, that's it.
My lowbed truck in the driveway, 96 Mack CH613 , 86 Lowbed 35ton Trail King .
Here are some pictures of the old KW's with our different equipment. The first picture is a Cat we were hauling away for scrap.
Our old Dodge is 38 now. The bumper is off because were taking the rad out.
Ole Dodge looks like a work horse! You are you running? Modified air box of factory?
Uh Dave- 38 I do not think so
i'd believe that's a 1970 or older....we had 4 of them old freakin dodges when i was young, spent more time underneath em than behind the wheel....ours had the 361 gas burners and 8 spd roadrangers...twasn't purdy.
Got a NHC 250 Cummins, 13 speed fuller and SQHD rockwell rears at 4.625. It does what it's supposed to do. The air cleaner is original, Its a 1970, definatly 38 years young. Its got 199038 miles on it.
Sorry - I Thought you were saying it was A 1938. I did not realize you meant 38 years old It appears to be a solid trk. with no rust
It's ok. It was a solid truck at one time, but when it was new it was a highway tractor hauling fuel. Then a farm bought it, lengthend the frame and put a box on. Then in 1980 my granpa bought it and got into the wet fields. Once to pull it out they had a tractor and a crawler loader pulling on it. He cracked the frame on both sides just behind the cab and we welded them up 2 years ago. I fixed both front fender corners but I'm getting close to havin it lookin good.
here's a pic of our 87 fruit shaker with a 3406B cat turned up to 425 hp/13 speed. wish frame was longer for a pusher ax. runs like a brand new one. doesn't make sense for us to go newer as this truck only gets 3k miles a year on it moving equipment locally...btw, that trailer is for sale, we just bought a 3 axle detach. 690 might be for sale too, haven't made up our mind on that one.
thanks for the details
Here's a couple of mine, 1993 western star
:thumbsup I love to see trucks well taken care of and as clean as yours I'd never guess that was a 93 :jawdrop Stefan :salute
Thanks, i'v tryed to take care of her, here's a few night pics.
Nice Star Car :drinkup
That is a beautiful star, I went over to Vt this winter and looked at a couple of trucks, we ended up with an 05' Mack, bought it at Sheldon Trucks down in Williston.Great people to deal with down there.
What ? Someone else besides Mack builds trucks? Since when ? jr
i love the older western star. that is what i use for my lowboy, nice cabs clean looking and great frames
are you towing your camper trailer? Boy I bet they talk about you at the camp grounds
Cabovers kick ass
Most definitly a nice looking weatern star especailly with 1,600,000 plus miles on it. He didn't mention that I noticed, but it is for sale at truck paper heres link. http://www.truckpaper.com/listings/detail.aspx?OHID=1775734&guid=608464F3C0F446598BE75E91D1FDDBD1
here's mine. it is a '79. nothing fancy but so far so good as long as i'm not in a hurry.
How much? What do u guys think a truck of that year and shape is wroth
do you have any pics of the old firetruck in the background?
Hey petersfamilytru, I was wondering what year the old white KW ten wheeler was???
I have a '62 Autocar DC87OH (in my avatar). I hope to be able to post pics with this, my 3rd post. On a 15% slope, I can let the clutch out with 10 yards of wet clay without any throttle. ZERO. The torque arms are 6 inches across.
Here we go... Roadbuilding in Armonk, NY.
Very nice Autocar!:scool:scool
Wow, very nice :notworthy Autocar. That was my dream truck when I was a kid.:cool2 Does it have Cummins power? Nice to see a truck like that still working and looking that good.:usa:drinkup
Thanks guys. Yeah, 100% original Cummins NH250, both trannies and rear. Engine has never been opened. All 3 frame rails are made out of some freako-kryptonite manganese/steel from the planet Neptune...no separation whatsoever after 46 years. It has an air pto and modern spring brakes, but those are the only concessions to post-JFK.
I wish I had my camera yesterday, shoulda seen this Autocar (not that yours isn't nice it IS). But man this truck was DECKED out!!
Hey Special Tool, try to find a 5 year old truck with no frame seperation They don't make em like that anymore. What's it got for a tranny? Does it have decent road speed or is it a stump puller?
That Autocar is SSOOO cool! That is an awsome truck!
Thanks guys. Honestly, the new trucks are better in most areas, especially economy/effiency,etc. I will never, however, accept that the structural and even the sheet metal is as good on the new trucks as it was on old Macks, Kenworths, Autocars,etc. Heck, there are old B Macks in NJ still working with their ORIGINAL Heil bodies!!!! The frames in this Autocar are actually a steel/manganese alloy - so it says in the manual. I am forced to believe that they weren't bullshitting. If you take a new tri-axle off the road for any serious time, you will lose the dump pin mounts. Don't believe me? Ask around. I know that the old trucks were designed to be off road because they were building the highway system and the new ones must be lighter to always be ON asphalt, but they are made out of paper. I have to roll out the item 4 before the local LOG TRUCKS will come up the hill!!! Imagine that! I don't blame them - new Kenworths are made out of see-through pot metal and come with those gay tubeless metric tires. Sorry, I stop ranting now.:drinkup
I gotta agree...nothing like those old Autocars! How many miles on it?
I know this is not an Autocar, but it runs like a sewing machine, and who would want to steal something off a truck that looks like this (good ins.). Back in 1990 I made a JB Weld repair between a liner lip and the water jacket, didn't think it would last to haul the last 5 loads I needed to move, but here a little over 18 years later it still cranks up every time I need it ( moved lots of material since then) but not on the road. Ron
Another shot I didn't get in the first post.
Ahhaahaaaa... Awesome truck.
An old Cornbinder! And with the dual stacks, I'll bet there's a Detroit under the hood......
Just can't seem to like looking at something that doesn't appear in balance??:beatsme Power is from a cummins NH 220 turbocharged, the exhaust T's into a pipe across the frame which supports the twin mufflers. It really emits a sweet sound, under load:notworthy, learning to drive the 4X4 transmission took some time, and whatever one does "DON'T MISS A GEAR", if you do, be prepared to stop and start all over. Once I got the hang of it, it is really fun to drive. The old truck in the background of the second picture has the 8V71 Ron
I had two old white's (of the early sixtys vintage) one was a NH 220 nat. asp. with a 5 and 2, The other was a Reman. By Cummins NH 220 with turbo and 5 and 4. I always assumed the turbo was an update to increased the horsepower- it certainly had a lot more power. You will get used to the trans and won't have to stop to recover- most of the time
One more shot A picture of three photos, back in the days that I lived under the illusion that I was making money:Banghead Always been a one man band. Hope they show up.
Cool. You sure it was 220 with turbo? Could have been 270 maybe???
No I'm not sure, the motor plate (if I remember right) said NH-220 and it does have a turbo, if I make it back to the pit in the next few days, I'll pull the hood and check again. Could be NH-220 that someone added the turbo later, I think the man I bought it from had brought it from California, something special I think, it is nearly all aluminum. Before DOT here in Texas, I was licensed for 68,000 truck and trailer, my empty weight with full fuel was just over 22,000. A 48,000 payload was right there with the big boys but I had learned years earlier not to make the mistake of taking too heavy a load up too big a hill I generally stayed right at 15 yds. Ron
A couple summers ago a guy tried to climb a hill on Long Hill Road (no lie) without enough grunt and stalled the truck. The brakes wouldn't hold the load either and he rolled the truck. A few days later, the same driver in the same truck made a second attempt with the same truck.......same results!! Needless to say the cops weren't too impressed. I think the second time the driver was taken away in cuffs.
Straight jacket may have been more appropriate.
Guess it's obvious my math sucks, never did get stopped and weighed, but then even when it looked a little better, I knew it would be too much of a battle to get, and stay legal, so I took it off the road in 1990 when DOT was put in force.:notworthy:drinkup
What was the 262? a 220 with a turbo? or was it a 250 with turbo? Ya, once you get the hang of two sticks....gettin' double nutt'n doesn't require a full stop. Usually you after a few days....you'll quit gettin double nutt'n.
I fired it up yesterday, and while it was warming up I copied the numbers. The plate on the motor gives the following info HP gross net @ 2100 RPM......204 HP gross max@ 2100 RPM.....220 The engine number ended with a 7, and the truck spec plate showed the engine exactly the same but ending with a 6. Has to be that someone used the wrong punch when every thing was being assembled, the plate on the engine and truck show no appearance that either has been changed. If the engine has been changed I find it hard to believe that these numbers could be so close. I have a cummins service manual and all the combinations seem to indicate if the engine had started out as a turbo setup it would have been listed as NT-6 250hp@2100, or NTE-235 235hp@2100. The book has 20 designations for the NH series engine (743 cubic inch) size. If anyone is interested or has a need I'll list them in a post. Ron
Can I see a picture of this engine?
If you mean the one in the truck, Ill take my camera out tomorrow. I'll try to get a picture of the page in the book, but they might not show very well. I'll work on that the next day or two. Ron
dec0spring 08 riding 009 (Small).jpg 88 pete 377, 444 cummins, 18spd tranny no mufflers . Just recently tuned up runs nice. The tridem end dump sure makes the old girl work hard. That picture was from hauling snow this winter.
Buitiful scenery
My old truck is an 87, can be viewed here--> So far its pretty good, although I did just get it
This is the NH-220, the first pic shows the turbocharger. One thing I'm curious about, the service manual does not show a picture of an engine with starter on the driver side ?? Is this something special, or different ? I did not notice this until making these posts. Ron
trucks Trucking, with tandems, got so slow in my area, that I sold two of my tandeum and bought two quad axles. I did this because, I got a job with a big paving/construction company and they pay by the ton and as you know, a tandeum just cant haul enough to work by the tons. The first truck I bought was a 1984 Ford LTL9000 quad, with a 18ft high side bed and steerable axles. It has the Cummins 400, with a 13 speed, Hend supension. This carries 22 ton and handles great. I just had the cab and body painted and it really is a great looking truck. I have used it about 3 weeks now and no repairs, no oil useage, no problems at all. The second truck is a 1978 Ford L9000 quad (yes 1978) I could not believe how great of shape this truck is in. It has the Cummins 400 and 13 speed, 2 steerable lift axles. The bed is a 1999 19ft high sided bed, I just installed a barn door on the bed and painted the bed, looks great. It has Hend. supension, that was just rebuilt. Ive run it almost 3 weeks, no problems, no oil usage. I am working along side of new and fairly new quads and Im sure most of them have mighty big payments and my old trucks are keeping right up with them and using less fuel in most cases. Now Im not bragging or bashing them, I just feel lucky that I found these trucks, for the price I did ($16,000 ea) They both have real good Red Dot A/C systems and will freeze you. I havent learned how to post pictures, but I will try later. Im sure that these truck will not stand up to the new trucks, but if Im lucky not to have any major problems, I can save that $2000 a month payments and hopefully upgrade. Good Luck to all
We definatly need pictures of those two trucks willis! Im curious, whats a red dot a/c system?
red dot Red Dot, is a add on A/C system. They are really better than the factory systems. I have the pictures in the camera, I just need to download them and figure out how to post them
Very interesting... Does the plate on the front driver side of this engine say NH220, or NTS270??
Check out the second red link in my signature for help with postinf pictures.
It has NH-220 stamped on the spec plate. Ron
Yep okay. That's why the starter is moved. You got a hot-rod there, dude. I bet she don't make a lot of black smoke, right?
Never a bit of black smoke Now whats the scoop on a hot rod?? Does anyone remember the Dennis Weaver movie where he chased some guy on those long desolate roads in the mid west. Didn't used to believe that until I drove this truck empty trailer one time.:notworthy:drinkup Ron
Well, no black smoke because there is that much more oxygen available to catalyze the fuel. I am sure it runs excellent and is very economical, also certainly the EGT's are always low on high load pull. I am somewhat of a turbo guru on my cars, so I am particularly interested in your 743. I wonder who did the mods???
I have no idea, it was set up this way when I bought it in 1986. One of the few things that I have had to do over the years, was to switch out the air pods on the rear axle, the old ones where dual diaphragm units and had a price of about $700.00 ea (I still have them) so I used cheap singles and have been fine. Ron
Someone reminded me today, that he was the one being chased. (got my story remembered wrong):Banghead old age coming on. Ron
Cool thanks for the info, I will have to check into that as my truck doesnt have a/c. Hmm and neither does my backhoe...
Our trucks are very different. Yours have all the wheels under the bin, is that for heavy loads or what. Sorry, but where can I get a lekker mack like that? Shoo! very nice!
My first truck 1976 Dodge 555 V-8 Cummins 13spd.
the movie with dennis weaver is duel
Those old Dodge's were neat, only thing was they were a real bear to work on. Even though the fenders swung open and exposed a lot, working on the backside of the motor tried even a small framed man's patience to the end.
Wow. What a big truck. You still using it on a daily basis or what?
here is our truck and trailer 1988 Pete 379, 400 Cummins BC 4 15spd OD SQ100 3:55 ratio, Trailer is a 2001 Davis 12 yrd pup dump
How many tons can you haul in a trip, what is your GCVW? What was required for the trailer hydraulics, a slector valve from the truck hydraulics? Nice pic!!
just the bobtail I can haul 13 tons and gross weight will be right at 48,000 . With truck and truck & trailer 23 to 24 tons and be at 80,000 Tx has a over weight over axle permitthat you can buy and gross 84,000 but it is pricy per county based system like 40 counties cost $533.00 after you first put up a $15,000 SURETY BOND I can pay a extra $15.00 dollars on the trailer and the permit will also apply to the trailer also . Have not done that yet. I am like a baby you have to crawl before you can walk . Will probaly be Mar when I get the 84,000 lb withthe new apportioned plate :Banghead More paperwork for sure .with all the IFTA fuel tax paper trail that you have to keep up with .
Here is a photo of my 89 rd690. Runs strong everyday. Has to be plugged in for the winter or she doesn't want to start.
sweet truck jmac, by far my favorite body style mack. just tough and rugged.
thanks woodee, the truck is not very user freindly to drive but I know that it will last. Truck has over 750,000 miles on it. I have been tempted to look at a newer tri-axle before the economy went bust, I just like the old truck and glad I found it. This truck has made me more money than a newer one would of the last couple of years. I would like to think that a newer Mack would be as tough as this one but I have been told "don't count on it"
I like that other Dodge. I agree, I hate working on them but they are a cool truck. I'm just 16 and I am pretty flexible but they are awful things to work on.
Jmac keep what you have the new stuff is nothing more than alot of plastic crap , sensors and computers that will give you nothing but Hell o . That is what I like about my old 1988 Pete no computers and it is something that I can make the payment on each month . I saw a new think it was a pete 386 tandeum with airlft pusher and a OX body probally a 16 ft with elec tarp but nothng real fancy on inside and they we asking $127,000 not including FET or sales tax and no of the other charges that they can put on there to get more money . Keep it till the wheels fall off then get some super glue and glue them back on then you are good for another million miles The speedo on the pete shows 302523 and I am sure that there is a 1 infront of the 3. twj
Horrible situation that excavator is in. He should be straddling the ditch and digging down the hole with the track perpendicular to the hole.If that caves in he is all but screwed
Hi there, we run a 1999 Autocar with a Custom 40ft aluminum end dump for hauling grain from our fields to our elevator and then to the end user. We bought the truck and trailer this year and they really sped up the harvest particularly on our long hauls. Where last year we had 4 tractors running back and forth and the combine almost always waiting for the wagons to return, this year we had the truck and one of our fast tractors (32mph tranny) keeping up with the drivers waiting on each other. Hoping to get a float this winter to haul our excavator around with.
IN the last picture I see you standing on the fuel tanks step looking back at the raised trailer I hope that you do not do this as you raise the trailer to unload esp a fixed frame If the trailer was to tip over you would not stand a snow ball chance in Hadees of not getting hurt . Tipovers hurt you enough if you are sitting in the drivers seat but standing on the fuel tank looking back not good for your own safety . I know cause this happened to me way back in the mid 70's back when you could just weld your 5th wheel to the frame and u bolts was a option only thing that save my butt was the welds broke on the fifth wheel and only turned the trailer over and not the whole truck and trailer . twj
I bought a Chevy C50 in 1975 and then a GMC 7000 with a 366 gasser in 1984 which I still have. That means I have been looking at the same basic body and dash for 34 years.:dizzy:falldownlaugh I have pulled over 60,000 lb with the truck loaded and a Lull 844 on a trailer. Lucky Long Island has few steep hills. I'll try to get a picture this week to post. I even found it in diecast with a stake bed. It has been a great truck.:drinkup May be they can bury me in it. I built the 18' flat bed body on a Thanksgiving weekend starting on Wen. and bolting it on Monday night after work. When I looked at a new truck they say how can you put that old body on a new truck? I told them easy as it looks like it did the day I built it. I bought a new hood for the truck 3 years ago but just did body work on the truck so never used it and it sits in my office.
My Pete 359 Here is a pic of my 1980 Pete 359. I Bought this truck about 18 months ago when I was working on a job in CA and had it shipped back up to WA. It needed allot of TLC getting everything working and cleaned up but was still cheaper than buying a truck in the northwest. Some of what it has is a 400 Cummings with a 13 speed overdrive, 3 stage jake, double frame, 14 ft box with electric tarp, lockers, Alpine CD player with twin 700w amps, four 200w speakers and a 500watt sub woofer. That way if she starts making any scary noises you can turn the stereo up loud enough until the sound goes away until you get home :drinkup Mainly just used to transport equipment but I do some hauling for my own jobs if I don't need allot of material.
beautiful truck Axman...here is our 1988 357 Pete
Nice Truck!!!!:cool2 There's not a better looking truck out there than an old classic Pete..IMO:usa
you got that right...i wish ours was as shiny as yours with the aluminum and stacks though
You wouldn't think so if you could see it right now! It's been cold, rainy and freezing for the past month so it's looking pretty bad after driving down all the gravel roads and through the mud! It's 28 degrees right now and their saying we are going to get 12 inches of snow by Saturday with lows at -10 and highs of 9 for about the next week. I try and keep everything washed and cleaned between jobs but that's not going to happen for a while! It does look good as long as you keep it up but when you get behind ointhead
Sweet trucks guys!!
My 1982 Mack
Nice truck you would think you would give details though:beatsme Not nice to just leave a guy hanging:guns
hmmm details?...well 8LL, double frame, CATersmellar engine in it (i forget the model), the dam AM/FM radio doesn't work so it makes it nice to haul dirt all day in it:Banghead, 2 stage jake, lockers i really like the truck, it shifts nice and does a decent job...she smokes a lot though...really rolls out the black coal smoke...we got the motor worked on this summer...3 injectors were bad and it needed a new head gasket, after that she is running a lot better heres some pictures of the typical setups i ran with her
Nice looking oldies guys. I bought Toyman's 87 Ford LTL9000 because I always liked the looks of those old square fendered Fords and hope to shine it up so it looks as good as yours. I just bought a 1954 IHC TD6 in nice shape to put on the lowboy (the truck was named Dad's Mid Life Crisis 3 and the dozer Dad's Mid Life Crisis 4 ) The 89 Searay 230 was Mid Life Crisis 1 and my 1966 P&H 215C was Mid Life Crisis 2. It's great to have the kids college expenses out of the way and spend a little on myself
Red Bank: Nice looking old Mack!! Looks like you have taken really good care of her! Nothing says your a professional more to a customer than pulling up to a job with a clean truck and equipment, even if it is old! Dirt Digger: Your holding out on me! I see a 359 parked next to your dump! Is that just a tractor for hauling lowboys ect... Raildudes Dad: Where's the PICS? I worked for a company that gave me a LTL9000 equipment hauler to haul a backhoe around from job to job. It had a CAT motor (don't know how many hp) and a 15 speed, it was great! That thing would climb any hill around with the backhoe on it like it was on flat ground. The 15 speed freaked me out with 4th-5th gear placement being backwards. The rest of the truck was junk but I still loved to drive it.
what...you mean this old thing? its our dump trailer/lowboy/tanker trailer hauler this is the only picture i have of it..i can try to get more if you so please...i don't drive this truck at all (they save it for the "real" truck driver)
NICE!!!:notworthy This is way to much "Man Porn" for one night....making me want to go talk nice to the wife:naughty
I don't have any pics of my own yet, my new baby is sitting behind a friends garage with over a foot of snow on it . You can see it in the Equipment For sale section 2nd page .
Nice!!!:thumbsup Did you buy the trailer also? There are times when I wish I had a set up like that! Let's face it....I just want one of everything:bouncegri
Yup, bought both. It has a pintle hook, hitch receiver, electric & air to the rear of the frame and a wet kit. The beavertail and ramps are easy to use for what I want it for. The tractor has very little rust. I've been window shopping for about 10 years, really didn't need it yet for what I want it for but.......
The tandem I thought I'd never get!
That's a nice truck!!! I don't know if I could ever get rid of the old Pete but someday it would be nice to get something with a little more of the comfort items. Have you used the heated bed? I Have often wondered if that's something that I would like to have. It's just one of those things that you don't use all the time but when you need it, you need it.
Thanks, as much as we mulled it over and were hesitant to spend the money on a nice tandem, this one had been a good investment!!The heated bed is great, there is a "selector box" in the exhaust pipe that makes it really easy to switch it over, I have had it heated now for about 6 weeks, its wild when you dump and its real cold, the pile steams and its nice and warm to the touch!
Cool! I wonder how much that would run to put on...I'll have to start checking. Thanks
here you go Axman...went to the shop to snap some pics just for you
I purpose a new rule no posting pics without details.:guns:thumbsup
That might leave me out as I am having trouble posting a picture of our truck out of Google map
Thanks Dirt Digger, Nice truck. Think they would give it to me if I asked really nice:jawdrop:beatsme
x2!!!
Nice 359!
I just bought this 1999 volvo from a local used truck dealer. It's a former AAA Cooper truck. Very tight truck for having 935k miles on the chassis and it looks almost like a new truck. So far we are getting 6.5 mpg and it's powered by an 11.1 detroit that was reported to be overhauled within the last 100k or so. We are running the volvo about 1500 miles a week. My (dirty) 2003 mack is in the background and it barely gets 5 mpg with the 427 horse E7. The mack cost me more than twice what the Volvo did about a year ago. I think I may stick to these volvos from now on. We only gross around 60k pounds so I think the 11.1 in the volvo will be fine.
Hey Serv, It appears your Volvo has..."gone to the dogs"!
These old fords just keep on truckin'
I enjoyed all the pics
That brown one is lucky to be alive for the same reason pictured. Sometimes he just won't move out of the way no matter what. I thought he would have learned after the 5 or so years I've had him. :beatsme
Does anyone know where I can get a conversion kit, to convert my non steering, drop axles, to a steerable axle. I was told, they are available, but he forgot who sold them Thanks
We have 4 right now, Just sold the 5th one last month 1994 Pete (just sold...it was our nicest looking truck out of the whole group! Truck ended up in southern Texas on the gulf coast) 1996 Pete 1997 Pete 1998 Pete 2003 Pete With the new california CARB rules we will have to get rid of the 1996 and maybe the 1997 by the end of 2010...kinda a shame..neither one has 500,000miles yet and both are still in good shape
Um, Chaz.......PICS PLEASE
2003 Pete 1998 Pete 1997 Pete 1996 Pete Fleet of trailers 1 Steerable 9 axle 1 Baby Booster 9 axle 1 7 axle 2 Easy Tail 8 tire trailers 1 Easy Load 8 tire trailer 5 Professional trailers (16 tire) 1 Scraper Jeep 2 Scraper Dollys (1 basket 16 tire and 1 stinger 8 tire) 1 1970 Murray 40ft Flat bed Empty weight of 7050lbs! (only one ever made) 1 Road Grader that still gets used around the yard behind a Oliver Tractor (not pictured)
Awesome!! Good lookin' petes. Love the set back axle and the float fronts, they scream heavy hauler!!
I just picked up this '75 KW W-900 last fall, so I haven't had a chance to "pretty it up" yet. It will be a work in progress for a while, I'm afraid, but as long as I can use it in the mean time. It's farm use, so it doesn't have to go every day, all day. 8 bag Air ride 350 Small Cam w/ Jake 13 speed 24.5 Budds in front, 24.5 Daytons rear- don't usually see 24.5 Daytons, do you? Do all the 'Os' go missing from the Kenworth name tags?
I would love to get my hands and your money on your truck . I love that old KW, probably doesn't help that I watched "Smokey and the Bandit" last night and then saw your truck tonight. Have you got the cover for the left side step, and by the way what is under the right side step? I noticed those step/covers last night in the movie and wonder what is under them, it looks like batteries on the left side?
Yup, batteries are in the left side, and it's just a toolbox on the right side, at least it is on mine. I don't have the left cover, but I plan on just making one out of diamond plate aluminum, just like the original. I haven't found a source for those parts and figured that it shouldn't be too hard to make it look like a new one. The right side I will polish up after I get those nasty, rusty hinges off. The whole truck just needs those little TLC things like that to make it respectable. The drive train and suspension is in pretty good shape. Does anyone know of a decent source for parts for this? I suppose the KW dealer...? By the way- Your hands+ my money+ my truck= employee! Come one up! You'll like our winters!
Well it was 8 degrees Saturday morning and I know for all of you that is not cold but for North Carolina that was too cold, I still have not thawed out , but could we work out a parttime schedule in the summer?
Red Bank, I may be speaking out of turn, but if 8 degrees was too cold, you're likely to have a hard time scheduling to be up here for the couple days that will seem like summer to you... http://www.youmightbe.com/pages/wisconsin.html has some "You might be from Wisconsin if:" jokes, some of my favorites being: "you have gotten frostbitten and sunburned all in the same week", "you design your Halloween costumes to fit over a snowsuit" and "your 4th of July Family Picnic was moved indoors due to frost." The first two I have experienced, the last, not so much. P Backus, Nice KW! :thumbsup Are you up near Suring or was that the previous owner?
BB64, I was actually looking forward to more comments about my comment, been thinking about it all day. We had a family friend in from Montana last week, she tried to complain about the cold, I told her to go home! Anyway sorry this has nothing to do with trucks.
That was a previous owner in Suring. I am south of Green Bay 35 miles. Looking forward to using the KW this year, rather than the 85 Ford 9000! Red Bank, I was going to say that the problem with the temp difference is that it gets to 8º once a decade for 2 days in NC, but we've been at or below that for 2 months- well, pretty close... Where in NC are you? We have friends west of Asheville- fabulously beautiful!
I am about 10 miles north of Winston-Salem. Asheville is about three hours away. And it is nice there, Got up to 50 degrees today, I am feeling better
1970 Freightliner with a Detroit Diesel 8V71 and a 5 speed tranny. That's gonna get changed to a 13 speed shortly. Just used a few times a year to move old army vehicles to local shows.
For anyone interested in this Kenworth, there is one in my town for sale just like it - same color too. Its been sitting for a couple years in the same spot....
Here's my Madeline. 1979 KW W900A, 3406A @ 425+, 13 spd, 46K rears @ 3:90, 24.5LP shoes, 212" w.b., 1.3+ original miles on her.
Absolutely beautiful!!!!:notworthy
sweet for sure. good looking ride
71 mack here...and im trying to upgrade asap...lol ill hafta post pics at a later date since im not a real member yet
Ron Light: The Name of the movie was "Duel" and Dennis Weaver was the chasee, and the unseen psyco trucker is the chaser! I remember trying to figure out who the driver was once it was clear that the truck driver was the villian!
Post photos? no can do I have tried everything to post a photo and cant do it. Heres the list. 1) 1950 F6 utility bought new 2) 1953 F900s 10yd dumps 1) 1954 F800 bought new 10yd dump highway plow 1) 1956 T800 tractor 1) 1964 F350 (sander) 2) 1978 F150s plows 2) 1993 F150s plows Ford 755 bought new 215D LC Cat 2yd Trojan loader Im older than this stuff so their young to me. I got plenty of photos saved in my pics or docs. Other sites I belong to usually have a brouse click on my pics then click upload and there it is but I cant do it here Sam Pine & Sons Ets. 1952
Oopss Sorry my son just walked in and saved me. Just ask any kid!!!
Last week but the checks keep commin sam
Now that looks like some well kept equipment
Wow, you have some nice stuff.
Some buitiful trucks. There older than me and in far better shape.
Real nice old Fords!! I don't know how you keep them up so well doing snow and ice with them, my '02 550 is really showing bad rust at 6 years old. Throw up a pic of the '64 when you get a chance.
Beautiful trucks!!!!Just beautiful!!!Thanks for sharing them with us.Ron G
Beautiful Trucks! they make me drool a little! I can't say I've seen anything as remotely awesome as those rigs
Steve Ill get the 64 pic today. They stay that way cause I spray diesel on them, It gets expensive using a good 5 gal with a pump spray & also I spray diesel on the plows and inside dump bodys if I have to haul snow I really helps. Sam Ill get more pics
2007 379 pete 2007 cozad 9 axle steerable with D10n
i figured id throw up a pic of my grocery getter 1982 s1800 dt 466 7speed w 70k orig miles
What happened to that ford you were lookin at? That was a sweet truck!
yeah it was i couldnt swing the price tag and waited too long he sold it
are you in the military or is this your hobby? I noticed the truck says USMC.
I hope you have a good "clear" exhaust system on your truck, the Dt466 of that vintage has a really good exhaust sound. Dang good old engines.
never did anything to bump up the hp like a good exhaust or pump mods ect. just fluids and filters :usa
What are the specs on that bad boy??? Slick lookin ride.
Not that theres anything wrong with the international! That is a very nice older truck, definitly well maintained!!
yeah i agree ,,glad i didnt buy it now thou,, things are slow slow slow
1964 Chevy 409 CID 5X4 34 Rears I learned how to shift an auxilary trans on this truck.
'71 Ford F600. Still working at Jasper Park Lodge, Jasper, Alberta.
Eric what spec's did u what to know 110' long 10 wide trailer steerable twin lifting towers.can add deck exthion 10-15' ft main deck is 29' as seen also have beem decks 20' and10' lenghts tare weight 86,500 with trk.2007 pete 625hp 205' wheelbase 18 speed full lockers 4:33 gears leather power every thing.sure makes it hard to want to go home ::cool2:cool2
1986 ford 5spd 2spd rear cat 3208 eingine 215 hp http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/vv40/awsomeokid13/FILE0859.jpg click to see a picture
peterbilt 1986 359, own since new, big cat,10 speed main, 4 spd aux. 3.70 ratio 1956 Marten lowboy
Very good looking truck:drinkup:drinkup:drinkup
thats nice as hell
dump truck The last of my old DM's.
I'm fond of the old offset cab DM Mack. Those puppie's have packed ton's of coal out of the Appalachian Mountains back in their time. Glad to see one still kickin'.
Thats a Bad *** Rig That baby is sweet, Nothing like the sound of a Autocar
Dump truck That is my 1995. I sold my 85 and my 88. They have been good old trucks. I still have another 95 RB. The RB needs a bath. I hate the winter!
Thats a sweet ride too, Yes the winter takes a lickin on them it hits a soft spot on me too when I see my vehicles trashed from the sand n salt, They should come up with a cleaner method my city look like the Gaza Strip from all the sand & I live in CT lol
The state has been using calcium cloride more and more and that stuff is bad bad bad! Figure on rewireing every spring.:Banghead
Ill tell u what I was ready to slice my wrist when I Tried to take out my trailer after installing it for the first time last spring, I learned a good trick You glob the hole with grease and put a hitch cap cover on it, Never had that problem again
Oldies But Goodies Here are some pictures of grandads old macks. The B model was his first mack. You can see it later in the DM photo.:notworthy
not a heavy truck, but a working truck all the same. 16 years old. may repower with a 302, the 4.0 V6 just aint got enough torque sometimes with the trailer. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3216869
Nice Mack pics there Mackman. I got to find me a nice old DM . Red of course.
I don't know if you guy's would call this a truck , but it's all ive got . M.A.N. TGA , 26-460 , 460hp , 12 speed automated gearbox , 56,000lb diffs with X locks , disc brakes all round . First registered 9/05 .
I'll make you a deal and its even RED!!!!!!!!!!!
I did not know M A N was still building trucks? That one dosen't look very old. You said automated gear box dose that mean auto like an allison or manual with auto shift?
It's called a Tipmatic transmission . It is like a conventional manual box with 3 counter shafts and syncro's etc. but has no clutch pedal . The computors tell it when to change gear via a hydraulicaly operated clutch throwout bearing . It does'nt shift like an auto , it is just like a manual . The engine revs build up , and then die off , the change is made and the truck accelerates to the next change . Going back down , the computor blips the throttle and changes down a gear . The truck is on air bags and the cab rides on 4 air bags . The engine is wrapped in soundproofing , the cab is quieter than my new car .
Hello I'm new to the board, sure some nice rigs posted :notworthy. I have a historical '79 KW with a fresh big cam 4 and a 13speed. I use the truck to haul tractors for shows and the fun of it. Mostly the fun of it Going to attempt to load some pics. The big High Output cable D8 is mine and the D4 being carried piggy back. I got some more pics of me hauling old antiques if guys are interested? Thanks
Of course we're interested! Im intrigued by that flat deck set-up, does that slide into the 5th wheel? Very nice!!!
You're kidding, right? Post every single pic you ever took - how's that? Also - what is the SPECIFIC paint name of the old Caterpillar grey?? Anyone know?
Yes I am interested in that set up too, I was going through the pictures and was like "whoa, that is neat!" Also, very nice truck:notworthy
I built the tilt bed so I could haul my D4 and tow the 5th wheel travel trailer to tractor and truck gatherings. The tilt bed mounts only to the 5th wheel and the D4 holds it down in place with some guides. It will tilt and rest on the ground the I just climb up it. Here are some pics of the bed. When I get to the gathering I simply drop the travel trailer, unload D4, forklift off bed, latch on to available trailer and start trucking tractors to and from the gathering. The woman takes her car and goes shopping and I go trucking, the best vacation a man can ask for :IMO
One thing I ask before hauling someone's tractor is that I get to load and unload it. Some frown an little bit but I got a smile on my face. I consider myself pretty lucky to operate these old classics. The owners are happy to get them hauled for only fuel costs. Some more pics. 1. Turbo cable blade D7 2. D7 and track type :beatsme 3. RD7 + D7 4. Thirty Five + RD7 5. Twenty Eight + D4 + Fifty
OK I'm just going to "give it till it hurts" LoL 1. Holt 10 ton 2. Diesel Seventy Five 3. Best 60 4. Cat 60 + Holt 2 ton 5. High crop 10 + RD7 + Farmall Special tool, I believe this to be the paint code for the grey 595B-26134.
Before you guys think this is all fun and games, it can be very frustrating starting these old jewels :Banghead . Usually the owner starts it and I load it. Then at the show I have to start it back up.... I call him up :cussing he says "did you remember to crank it half turn with 7/16 choke, wait 4 seconds, kick left track twice, hold your breath, then it should fire, you forget?" ops Few times I just have to pull start them, after about 2' and they fire up. 1. Cat Fifteen + :beatsme + Harvester on 9 axle's trailer. Thanks for letting me use it Todd. 2. :beatsme was the hardest thing to operate. One wheel steers it and one is the clutch. When backing up it will rip the wheel out off you hands and jack knife just like that. 3. Me loading a Cat Sixty 4. Me on a Sixty that twisted sideway while getting ready to take it home . The hard part is to not panic on an unfamiliar machine. 5. My D8 and Utility Trailer Thats it, thats all the pics I have. Hope you enjoyed them.
Thanks for the pictures and for showing the bed for your truck, that is just plain neat!:drinkup
I do believe that "hardest thing to operate" is near the top of my list of the most crazy looking contraptions I've ever seen! I love it!
nice truck!!!
Awesome pics!! That flat deck is too cool, does it have a king pin in the bottom to match the truck? What keeps it from turning from side to side?
Thanks RB and tree mover. ATCO, that crazy contraption would not load on the trailer forward due to lack of traction. Tried it in reverse an it kept jack knifing so we just winched it up. nedly, the bed king pin simply latches into place. Then I drilled and tapped it so I could draw it down tight to keep the bed from bouncing when empty. One time I forgot to tighten them and it didn't bounce around. So if I ever got to repaint, I'll probably just weld it in place. My truck has a long 5' 5th wheel track so I slide the 5th back to set the bed on. Toward the front of the bed are some guides that rest against the sides of the 5th wheel track to prevent it from twisting. This also keeps from wearing on the aluminum frame. Sorry no pics of the guides but here is a pic of the king pin.
Very neat, nice job! have you ever been through DOT with it?
K100G Kenworth Cat 18 speed on hendrickson airbag. Legal gross of 64 ton. So far its been a good slave ,paticularly the fact that most of the time its on dirt and 10 ton or so overloaded.
Oops ,yeah, its a 1996 model
1967 Kaiser. 600 Hours
nedly, no I haven't been stopped in the scales with any of my loads yet. I now have 2" bold letters on the doors saying "Historical Truck, Not for Hire" so hopefully this answers any questions before asked. It also helps that the truck looks good and I do keep up on it. One of the latest repair was new air bags for the Pete air/leaf suspension. Nextdoor, nice truck! What do they give you for weight on your axles or axle groups? Charlie, only 600 hours, what a great find. Any rust around the cab? I bet you don't get any speeding tickets in it LoL. What is the top speed while towing?
holy crap thats a big machine for that little trailer or is it a dual tired trailer? -Eric
No rust, will pull the trailer with a T250 in the 50 ish mph range. The excavator in the 30 ish range. The trailer has 17.5 wheels.
Gday Mike, on a twin steer you get 11 ton, on bogie assemblies 16.5 ton, and on tri axle groups 20 ton. When we cart to the local wheat silos we get an extra 10 percent on our gross if the truck rating is high enough. We can get 64 gross plus 6.4 ton as the rating of the truck is 106 tons. however carting back to feam silos we gross about 74 ton. Cheers.
Just a small point for those who may not know , you only get the 11 ton on the twin steer axle group if it is a load sharing suspension . If not , you only get 10 ton .
Great pictures Mike Mc and really good to see you joined us. Hope your going to share some pictures of the work you did rebuilding that D4and especially the blade. :notworthy
Here is my 87 Western Start. 425 Cat, 13 spd, 46k rears, wet line. Worked great when we had the 55 ton Talbert lowboy for haulin the TD-20 around.
Did you get an another loboy? Looks like you had some cattle.We got out of the cattle business in 2006.I kined of miss it.
We sold the dozer to the man I worked for during 2006, the place where the pictures I posted in the dozer forum were taken. He's an cousin or something... but anyways, he bought the dozer so the lowboy got sold unfortunately. I'll see if I can find a pic of it somewheres. Wish I had one of the whole rig with the dozer loaded on.
Not a great pic, but it's the only one there is with the trailer.
Thats a good looking western star .my nieghbor has westernstar trucks.he loves them.I have a 1973 white 4000.It has has the same cab as the western star.I allways kidd my nieghbor that a western star is a fancy white.But I like them all.
I love those Star Cars.
Just bought this 91 international 4900 with dt 466 6+2 9' body.
Congrats PSD, are you going to start dirt workin? Very nice truck!
Thanks!! Mostly for own property, but.........
my dad had a 75 KW W900 with a 425hp 3406 cat. sold in 1996 and that was a sad day but i still see it in the quarry sometimes still got the same paint. that got replaced with a brand new 1994 Peterbilt 378 with a 350hp 3176 Cat still runs today with 800,000 miles and no rebuilds. we also got a 78 Ford L9000 tri axle dump truck but it's parked since 2001 until i get to rebuild it. i'll try to dig up some pics of them in the next few days or so
this is my daily driver and service truck for the sandpit. and it does go out and fix trucks on the road or goes to the jobsites too.
Very Nice, Makes me feel ashamed of my old truck.
Here's a few pics of my 98' T800 with a C-12 Cat and a 13 spd, been a real nice truck so far. Had one stack when I got her but I fixed that right away.
I guess image tags don't work so:
I read in your lowboy thread that you can gross 72K with that set up, is that the most you can get for the bridge formula due to the trailer being short? How many ton can you haul? What is the tare weight of the truck and trailer? Nice set up!
the baby check out the new face of '09
With my gross at 72 I haul about 21 ton in it, which isn't bad considering how maneuverable it is. Empty weight is 29,500, but the trailer is pretty heavy duty with Ar-450 steel for hauling concrete, so that's not to bad either.
Here are a couple of shots of ours.
boy there is some history
So how do you pick up the bed on the frame of the truck to lock it in the fifth wheel
ddot, very simple, C the pics - worth a million words If your thinking off building a bed I will share all my pics and info with you.
sar i i have a 1978 SAR kenworth, it came out new with a 290 cummins, the guy i bought it of fitted a detroit d dec 2, 18 speed and an air bag rear end out of a freightliner, i ran it for 2 years with no problems, replaced it with a 2004 MAN and now have it for sale. they are are great old truck.
My 1993 or 94 Ford LN8000 8.3 Cummins with a 6spd It is a work in progress. Last of the no electronic trucks. This is the old 1968? Chevrolet 60 series my dad wore out. It had a 402 with 5spd + 2spd rear. He made good money with that old truck.
Your steering wheel and shifter are on the wrong side!!!
8v71 Hiya. No, never been in the military. The USMC stands for Uncle Sam's Misguided Children. :usa This is just play stuff. We take it to parades and shows. Just had it at Ft. Lewis in Washington State for Armed Forces Day festivities. Major hoot!
Steve,doesn't that pic just scare the heck out of you?Something tells you that there would be no problem driving it but if I found myself in a "situation",having to rely on instints,sitting on the wrong side of the truck and driving on the wrong side of the road too most likely I am not sure how I would react to it. I drove a '78 KW for years,the long nose one pulling the lowbed and dumptrailer and it was an excellent truck.Ron G
we also drive on the wrong side of the road steve, that's because we are "down under"
i have been to the US several times and have done plenty of driving(cars and bike,no truck),when you have to be careful and concentrate is turning left or right at intersections as you tend to steer toward the side of the road you are used to driving on, another tricky one is coming out of a gas station , i came out of one in orlando and turned left in to incoming traffic, luckily there was some room to head off to the side of the road and miss the cars.
Love them old Fords. I wish I was around when there were less or no electronics in everything. It's weird to have our New Holland skid steer beep at us every time we get into it, just as weird for the same on my quad. :dizzy Do my eyes deceive me, or did the roof collapse on the front of the old Chevy? It's a shame it's in such a condition, but I guess there comes a day when trucks get put out to pasture.
nice pic
found some pics of a couple trucks from Red Top Trucking out of Gary, Indiana which unfortunately hasn't been in business for about 20 years or more. from what i hear they were a great bunch to work for too. they were one of the largest trucking companies in NW Indiana and Chicago. if it fit in a dump or flatbed RedTop hauled it. the first one is their Hendrickson lowboy tractor which had a custom lowboy built for it and it was the largest lowboy in the greatlakes region. not sure what the engine model is but i do know it was the older brother to the 3408 cat. :notworthy the next picture is one of their later Hendrickson triaxles that had a 3408 cat. dad said he had the chance to run it for a day cause something happened to his truck and he wished he bought the old henry when it was sold.
the older the better
I wish I had pictures from where I started out! I was 13 and the neighborhood boys and I went into this old what we thought was a shed. I there was an old bed, and a stereo with speakers, or I should say HiFy, some advertising stuff in a case, and old desk. I thought that if the man really wanted this stuff, he'd put it in his 8 bay truck garage. I thought like his dogs he didn't want them any more, so I took 1 speaker, and some old keys like to dressers, and cabinets. There was nothing in the shed these keys seemed to go to! There were some old kind of brown signal fuses, that none of us wanted. We figured the mice had gotten to them fro all the sawdust in the wooden case. Well about a month after the first time we took some stuff, we went back, and looked around again.There was the wooden file cabinets, and the desk not much else. Except for the fuses. I took one out, and there was sweat on it I wiped tho of it off, and when it hit the floor, there was a bang like an M80. This scared the poop right out of us, so I ever so genitally put it back in the saw dust, and we all got the h e double toothpicks out of there. An other kid took about 4 of those fuses, and was running from the cops when he fell. The ones he had were dried out. This kid snitched on me, and I had the cops show up asking about how much dynamite we took. I asked what dynamite, I thought those were safety fuses? You got to remember we grew up around smudge pots, and red globe kero lanterns for traffic control. We were taken to court, and I had a year of probation. I went to the man and I tried to talk to him. Tell him I was sorry. He was a fowl mouth old miserable shell of a former hard working man. Finally after about a week I was able to plead my case with him. I told him that the speaker I got I thought he didn't want, so like trash I just took it. I said with the condition of tis shed I thought he'd abandoned it, no windows, sagging floor 3 dog skeletons, and rats. What did the lock on the door mean? I thought you didn't want the either, and then I told him that I work off the damages, thinking that I'd be mowing his lawn, and cleaning up around his construction yard. He told me that if I was serious about making it right, to be there 6:00 am the next morning with a lunch, and plan on the whole day! I showed up a 5:55 am, and regretted it by the end of the day. I shoveled a truck load of top soil, and he dumped it in an other spot. He was kind of laughing, and told me to be back tomorrow the same time. Thinking I would show, he didn't come down until about 9:00. Not really knowing what to do, I toped the fluids in his B47, D3 Cat dozer with backhoe, the crane, and his pickup. After about a month a farmer west of town called for a load of top soil. Wanted 15 yards. Elton was too blind to see to drive. He had me take the load at about 1:00 and told me if I wasn't back by 2:00, he'd know that I had problems. He knew I was 13, and I didn't have a license. That alone sent him on a cussing spree that lasted just over 20 minutes, which boiled down to either your going to work, or your a liar and a thief. I'll never forget the look on my dads face when I drove up the access road which our driveway was on. My dad was a pro driver driving truck for a living. When he got home he asked me if I was the one driving the old mans dump, and I said yes. He then told me that I was to NEVER Driver unlicensed on the street ever again. The liability to him was too great, which was one of dads favorite catch phrases. I learned a lot about trucks and gas motors with 5X3 and 5X4 twin sticks. In 2000, I was driving a twin HI/LO/RX5 in an R model with a 238 diesel triaxle! A driver in a condo unit was cussing me because I just got on the expressway, and I was working her up to speed when he came up on me. If you can't drive that thing then get it off the road was the gist of his complaint. I simply with being mad said that I was a newer driver and I didn't know everything, and I sure would like him to show me how to shift a twin stick. Silence. I repeated that any help on driving a twin stick Mack would be helpful. Still silence. I then told that driver that he show never complain about what another driver is doing. Someone else said I think you scared him off with the twin stick talk. I made sure that this was no BS that Mack had 2 sticks the changed gears coming up out of the floor!
I went down yesterday and dug out my plow and snow tires because lets face it winter is nearing. Well I thought I would take a pic the first truck I drove after I got my CDL, its a '74 GMC 7000 427 gas, 5+2 trans, air brakes, 10 fronts, 23 rears, 200,000+ miles. I was thinking I should put a new motor in a use it as a site truck. It was a good old beast, really makes me appreciate the granite!!!
It's going to need a little work .
At first I though he was a mail carrier.
trucks Just bought this 94 KW T800, it was a road tractor and the previous owner, double framed, installed walker beam suspension, real nice dump bed. I have painted the cab, hood, bed. hooked up the wiring, installed the hood, new seat, tarp system, tires, brakes/drums. the owner installed a almost new Cat 3176, 13 speed tranny, exhaust work, etc work in progress
Willis, is that an Ox bed or a Godwin bed?
94 kw Pictures didnt download I hope this works, this is what it looks like now, before the chrome
truck it is a Ox body, 16ft, barn door
Being a tractor conversion,I would imagine its not got heavy suspension, what can you register that truck for down there? Whats the tare weight? Nice paint job! Did you do that yourself?
I own a small trucking company in Long Island, NY. Check out my website of my trucks. www.betheltrucking.weebly.com . Thanks
Dam those are old pics of your truck That Josh at SSR took! Heres what it looks like now...
ya i bought the truck from Bill Gorman......the trucks been working a lot and it had an accident in the front. When did u guys take this picture?
middle of oct, a friend caught it...i guess you haven't had time to fix the rear fenders or wash it too...oh and i know the rev. BILL he is a member here too!
ya its been working a lot like i said we didnt get time to wash it. The first picture on the highway that from a couple of months ago when i hauled someone else trailer. I had to raise the front air bags because my oil pan kept cracking because the truck was too low. Do you have any more picstures of th truck. My driver told me someone took pictures of the truck.
Naw those are the only ones i got. But if i see it at SWTR i pop some shots!!
swtr? my truck doesnt load from NJ. SWTR is in NJ i believe.
Yeah it used to, I work at SWTR in NJ...
it used to load there a while ago. I haven't loaded in NJ in a long time. The blue truck that Bill had for a while used to be mine. Also do you know if SWTR is hiring companies to move garbage. Because i own a couple of trucks.
I have spent an inhumane amount of time in this 1985 Freightliner affectionately named, "Rattle Star Craplica".
snow 2012 Im back barely we suppose to get a big snow end of Oct so my thought (me&another old man) was to lower my tailgate on my F8 down like a big mud flap to put the sander in, yep he lost his grip and the gate pile drove me in the ground,woke up in hospitol with wires and tubes stuck in me, so I plow for the town and still on sick leave, but my stuff got ready from son for 2012 see page 14. So I got a couple more to add. Atleast no more crutches. Sam
No not pics i loaded
well pete atleast your little freightliner is a "hood" the best description i heard of the new freightliners were calling them the frieghtliner cambodia's. cuz they were a horrible place to be like a third world country. also they were driven by people fresh off the boat from said third world country's.
My 1970 Ford LN 8000 Cat 1160 210 hp 5 speed transmission w/ 2 speed rear end This was after it was non opped for a while and I let it go I built the roll of in 1990 Just recently let the truck go (unfortunately) When I drove it to the auction house I cried a little. Newer truck has air conditioning and every bell and whistle but I sure miss the old lady!
My new used truck is a 1974 Chevy C 60, 71000 miles, almost no rust. 15' dump, 350 gas 2 bbl. 10 mpg.
it is older than me!!!
I suppose if people told you alaska fell off the map you'd believe that too?
I take it you havent been to a truckstop lately?
Bout 2 weeks ago when our Columbia was getting a tune up in Fargo. I take it you havent been in a new Freightliner lately?
sorry double post
When i was brought up driving a truck was something to be proud of, a man new his machine and new what it take to do the job professionally. Trucks were built to be worked on, overhauled and last. The new freightliners like their steering wheel holders are just churned out to be cheep and dirty and on the road. Yes i have, hated every min of it rattles, squeaks hated the dash layout in a truck with less than 100K on it. But to tell you the truth NONE of these new trucks impress me much anymore. Even the new Peterbilt dash layout dosent suit me well. The FLD's were a decent truck for the buck, cheep and dirty but any of the newer trucks arnt nothing to write home about If i lost my mind and went and bought a new tractor it would probably be a new kenworth. Seeing as im her in the state of commiefornia i think its unfortunately going to happen sooner than later.
'74 4300 ih
i still drive a 1970 White 4000. we stretched the frame 4 feet and added a lift axle for hauling heavy equipment. Has a 290 Big Cam with a 13 speed with 4.11's on 24.5 rubber
Well considering all trucks have to meet the same Tier of emissions I don't think they're dirty.... Everyone talks about squeaks and rattles but guess what, thats gunna happen when you put a heavy truck down the road...
the truck i drive most days is a 1979 kw w900.
i think i' ve figured out how to post pictures
I have ridden in million mile paccar products that were well maintained but also remarkably quiet. besides the plastic on plastic construction of the new freight liners my other gripe is the only engine options are the new detroit or Mercedes power. Neither of which im a fan of.
1999 FL-70 8.3 Cummins Allison 6 speed auto Just got the truck!
We have a 1997 W900L and 2 2001 W900L's.
Here's my current ride. 2000 Peterbilt with 445000 original miles. 600 Cat, Jake & retarder, 18 sp, 2 sp rears.....
This is what I make my money with . 1993 Pete , maxed out 420 horse cat , Deep reduction 9 speed . Because of the weight of the boom there was an effort made to lighten it up motor wise (Dang it) . Bob tail it weighs 33,500 . So if a load needs a permit for weight I will get it (To a certain point). 664,000 miles so far . Spends the biggest part of its time spinning a hydraulic pump .
Few pics of my favorite former ride-2000 W9 C15-550,13sp
Another pic.
Lots of cool trucks on this thread... I am not in the "industry" as I just use my truck for my home... We just purchased this truck a few weeks ago... a 2003 Ford F350 with a Monroe Dump...