Hi everyone, I am new here and I like this site especially this truck section. I just purchased a 1992 Peterbilt w/ a cat 3406 8LL eaton fuller, 20k/20k/46k. It has 450,527 miles with 425 hp; double frame 4.30 ratio. This is my first dump truck and I love it. Hopefully I can put it to work for years to come.
Nice. Can't go wrong with that motor.:drinkup
Thanks Paystar
Got any pics you can post? Looks good in your avatar. One thing about Pete's, there is an unlimited amount of "goodies" they make for them. You can dress her up to no end over time.
Welcome chico! This is a great forum. There is such a neat mix of "old school" and "new school" and I learn something every time I am on here. Welcome again, ZAXIS
Thanks ZAXIS, I will post pictures once I get my new lettering Paystar :drinkup
This looks like a good place to jump in. I am also a new member but have been reading varios posts for over a year. I never cease to learn something new espesially when I read or listen and don't talk. I love all the topics and pictures and have alot of pictures I will post when I master this prosess. This is my first post. Great to join all of you! Sincerly,an iron addict I'll install my spell check now!
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums Cletus!!:drinkup Thanks for joining us! What took you so long to sign up?
I spend so much time looking at all the threads and looking at pictures I didn't take the time to sign up. Then so many topics are coming up I just have to put my two cents in! Can I post pictures now or do I have to wait awhile?
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums Cletus! :drinkup You have 3 posts now so you should be able to start threads and post pictures.
Here is my "Hobby Truck" 1977 Kenworth LW900 3406A 400HP CAT 6X4 52,000 Eatons 12X24 Rubber 8'6" wide
And now that I have worked on it for a while.
Cool old truck Cletus. Welcome to the forum!
what kind of dump trailer is that? it looks neat more pics!
Thats got to be the old Northern Oilfield trucks you were talking about. Looks to be in a little better shape than the last time I saw it in VECO's yard. Is that one with CAT and the 6 + 4? They still have one of the old 100 bbl water trucks up there working most every day. just reread the post on the engine and trans. got to looking at the pictures and didn't bother to read anything!
The trailer is a 1978 BEMCO. There were quite a few of them around sotheast Alaska. The earlier ones were made from old rail tanks,the rivited ones. I think they were the pioneers of trail dumps! It is a beater but I sand blasted it and painted it,bearings,drums,brakes and new lights. I call it my "STUMPER". I took the 5 speed out of the KW and put in the 6 speed with a 0.85 over so now it turns 1800 RPM @ 52MPH which is fast enough for me. VECO said they are still running it's twin sister. Pictures are at Kluane Lake, Canada, driving down from Fairbanks. In Haines,hooked to my 40 ton Peerless, it's to small for the truck!
More of the LW
That had to be a long ride running Bobtail! Frost Heave city. Good pics!
my peterbilt
Was that picture taken by the salt shed for district 10 in Roxbury. At the intersection of Center Street & South Huntington Ave? I used to load salt at that shed. I also used to plow Parker Hill Ave and Heath Street all the way up & down Mission Hill.
No camara, this salt shed is in Dorchester on Hancock st.
They all look pretty much the same in there! I can picture the Hancock St. salt shed in my mind, whats left of it. I spent 20+ years in Boston driving a roll-off truck. I'm really happy to out of there! Way too much traffic! I like being out here in the woods! The only problem is the Yuppies are moving out here too
camara left of the salt shed is the Boston Public Works garage and also on that property is the Boston Police Gang Unit, Swat Team and Bomb Squad.:usa
Nice looking truck pics, you guys! Cletus, those pics in AK are really striking. The KW is nice too. It must have a GVWR of what, maybe 24,000 lbs? If it was much bigger you'd need a CDL to operate it! LOL!. Someday maybe I'll be able to get a Pete or KW, but as a farmer, the trucks aren't the money makers of the business, they are just "support staff" for the business, so the Ford 9000s will have to do! Paul
Yup! I know the place exactly! Who are you on with in town, M Susi?
Who is the contractor in Boston with all of the green Macks with gold leaf lettering, I guess they do a lot of snow removal in the city? I was down there a few years ago and was talking to one of there foremen, everything gets washed everyday, very impressive fleet.
That would be the Greene Co! They are in Boston and do a lot of snow removal around the "Hospital District". Good People!
camara I am just starting on my own, not in with anyone at this point. :beatsme
Well if you do get on with someone I have had first hand experience with M. Susi Co. Top shelf people! Mario Susi was a good friend! I don't know anybody in town now. It's been a while. Good luck in there!
Great pics from all contributors. Why don't I ever see bug deflectors on the front of your trucks? They are just a composite plastic airfiol, mounted above the radiator and the airflow deflects the bugs and moths up and over the windscreen. Nearly all highway trucks have them in Aussie. Maybe you have less bugs to plaster the windscreen........C ya.........Ray
I'm guilty of having a stainless one. View attachment 15699
I am thinking of getting a bug deflector:beatsme:usa
I see M.Susi Co. around all the time, I will try to get on with them. Thanks camara:drinkup
Chico, How many yards is your dump? Nice looking rig you have.:scool
That must be them, they were at the childrens hospital when I saw them!
Thanks euclid, my truck has a 18ft bed
Right on. I knew it was a lot and what would the tonnage be? I don't know tons perse since I learned to load per yard. How do you know when to actuate the 3rd axel? I've been reading a few post about air pressure and what not but I'm not clear since I've never used one. Cheers.
euclid, I just bought my truck last month and I still did not get on the scale yet with a full load to know my tonage:beatsme I put my 3rd axle down when I have a full load. I am a rookie myself and I am learning day by day Once I get more seat time behind the wheel I will have a answer for you.:drinkup
thanks for the info and be safe and enjoy her.
Thanks euclid
Have to start a new thread---> Adventures of Chico and his Pete:slomo
lol, I like that idea.........
Yeah it could be fun and informative at the same time. Once I get my degree finished and if I have enough money from my GI Bill I want to get my CDL and do some work on the side. I drove explosives for years in the Navy but it wasn't required for me to have a CDL and I never got one and had a opportunity prior to me getting out of the Navy but I was chasing this gal and was more interested in her physically than looking out for my future. You know the dumb stuff we do when we are young and 15 years later I coulda, woulda, shoulda thing. I know several guys who are always looking for someone to help out and since they are paying for fuel and expenses IMO it is a good way to get seat time and just have fun. I'm easy on equipment and would treat it as mine so I have no worries of getting a little side work if this deal works out. Keep us posted because I know I sure could learn from your post and from other drivers as well.
I will keep you posted on my trucking adventure I will also take pictures once I am out there working, will be lots of fun.
:scool