Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

How’s this look?

kshansen ยท 2014-11-10 17:42

Pulled this out of the D6D I was servicing today. And when I say pulled I had to give a good tug with a hook type seal puller to get it out! This is on what would be a low hours machine, say 8,000 hours but it is a mid 1970's machine. This is one of those machines that gets moved from one plant to another with no one really keeping track of when or if it has been serviced. I had asked my boss a couple times early this year if he had an info on what needed to be serviced and finally last week the corporate equipment supervisor was here for the first time in a couple years and I mentioned this kind of problem to him. A few days later I was told to do a 2,000 hour service on the dozer more or less as a precaution. :Banghead

Replies15
  1. #1Nige2014-11-10 18:13

    I don't think I'd be too worried if it was a Blue Moon since it was last removed, unless some of the particles on the magnet are much bigger than they look. Got a photo of the particles once you'd pulled them off the magnet..?

  2. #2kshansen2014-11-10 18:27

    Not yet, I'm going to remove the housing the magnets and strainer are in in the morning as there is still a good amount of material in there. I'll try to save as much as possible to get a picture of it. Guess I'm just too used to the ones I normally service that have a thin layer of very fine oil/metal on the magnets with maybe a chip or two of a starter/ring gear tooth. First time I had a hard time getting one out on a machine that had not had a catastrophic failure.

  3. #3Scrub Puller2014-11-10 19:38

    Yair . . . kshansen I agree with Nige . That appears to be what we called "furry" . . . we wouldn't be too worried until they became "porcupiney" with larger bits. I would clean it up, put it on suicide watch and do another evaluation in fifty hours or so . . . you may be pleasantly surprised . . . or not. I found it a tough call sometimes . . . I mean when do you intervene? I believe it depends to some extent on the application. You obviously want to avoid a catastrophic failure but there may be several thousand hours left in those components, particularly if on light or intermittent duty. If the machine is on (say) one hundred and fifty bucks an hour even another five hundred hours is seventy five grand . . . not a lot of money but, for a small contractor important where earnings on components is a very real consideration. It is all very well to have gear in top notch condition all the time but there is no point in pulling stuff apart and replacing bits if it can make a few more dollars. ...............Or at least that was the way it used to be and, as mentioned, at times a difficult call. Cheers.

  4. #4kshansen2014-11-10 19:51

    Well I'm not going to start pulling the trans. but will remove the magnetic filter housing so I can clean it out and also stop the leak on the suction pipe. Along with a few other relatively easy to fix leaks in that area. I'll try to remember to take a couple coffee filters to work to strain out the junk to see how many chunks I find. Talked to one of the guys who had run this dozer and he did mention not having third gear forward. Did not hear that one until I had all fluids and filters out! I could understand a machine being mistreated like this by some down on his luck farmer or small time gravel bed, but when it's one of the worlds largest cement and aggregates producers............:Banghead And this is far from the only machine that is in this state of disrepair.

  5. #5grandpa2014-11-10 20:41

    I must be too fussy..... that'd would bother the sh*t out of me if I had one with that much iron pasted to it.

  6. #6Multiracer2014-11-10 20:49

    When servicing the magnets do you guys re use any of the trans fluid ? My D6H holds 33 gallons, seems awfully expensive just to peek at the magnets. My fluid is always clear with no heat smell to it ever. It has always been one area I want to look but just can not justify tossing all the good fluid.

  7. #7kshansen2014-11-10 21:11

    I usually only remove the magnets when changing the oil so that would not be a consideration.

  8. #8overworked2014-11-10 21:26

    Is, how was the screen from the torque, a d6r locks third gear when in neutral for lube I believe, wonder if thats the same?

  9. #9tctractors2014-11-11 02:20

    I usualy pull out the mag'-screen every time I service the engine (250 hr) if it starts to sparkle I will attack the transmission, if its just dark stuff I let it develope some, on the screen in the pic it looks like the dark stuff so I would pop out the scavenge pump screen for a clean up, also drain off the oil if it looks knackered also the trans filter case and stuff a new filter into it, finaly bring up or if changed the transmission oil level to spec, D6D's dont hold a stack, I usualy let the engine pump out the oil via a pipe stuffed into the top of the tran's filter head plug, this leaves about 5 gallons to drain from underneath, I always drain from firstly the centre plug then the 2 plugs under the steering clutch positions, to get as much bad oil out as possible. tctractors

  10. #10kshansen2014-11-11 05:37

    If you mean the strainer on the bottom of the flywheel housing with the large plug in it that one looked nice.

  11. #11Nige2014-11-11 07:39

    You're not Gramps, but remember that in all likelihood nobody has pulled that mag screen for an awful long time ...............I wouldn't be having conniptions (yet) but I sure as Hell would be developing a plan to see whether or not there was anything there that I ought to be worried about ............ Ken, see if there is a high efficiency transmission filter to replace the standard one. If you want post the P/N of the filter you're using here and I'll see if there is an HE equivalent. It might be worth it to clean the system up a bit. Also it's worthwhile remembering that this is not one of dem new-fangled electronically-controlled ECPC/ICM transmissions but a good old-fashioned hydraulic control. A few particles won't do it a lot of harm.

  12. #12John C.2014-11-11 11:20

    I have yet to see an oval track Cat with one of those that didn't look just like that. I used to use a solvent sprayer on them blowing the stuff onto the floor of the tank and then looking at the shiny stuff. The big stuff usually gets stuck in the screen anyway. Clean it up and put it back to work.

  13. #13kshansen2014-11-11 18:51

    Well here is an updated picture of the majority of the large pieces: A small amount of them stick to a magnet but even those don't look like steel, more like chips of clutch material. Been busy fixing other things on this dozer so I just remembered I did not cut open the filter. I'll try to remember to do that in the morning. Did some digging and find the "Clean out"filter number for my 4J6064 is a 9W2933. Think I'll get one or two of them just for fun! Not too sure about the valve not being bothered by a little fleck or two recall an 87A 988 that would not move and after removing the valve body and applying the clutches with air disassembled the valve and found a tiny fleck in and orifice in one of the spools. But agree they can take a lot more that those new ones. OH, by the way took a look at the shifting problem while it was apart and found two things. First the battery cable to the negative terminal was hitting the shift lever when shifted in to 3rd. Then with that corrected it still would not click in to third without a hard yank on the shifter. New bushing and spacer in the shift handle and a couple new 3/8 rod ends and now it clicks in like a sports car!

  14. #14kshansen2014-11-11 18:56

    Well the 9W2933 is now a 132-8876

  15. #15Nige2014-11-11 20:54

    we use that in just about everything as a standard filter, it keeps systems really clean. I suggest you get more than two of them.