Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

how to adjust steering caterpillar d3c series iii

Barry Kennedy ยท 2015-01-25 14:46

how to adjust steering caterpillar d3c series iii

Replies10
  1. #1Bob/Ont2015-01-25 15:02

    If your pedals go down too far there are covers over the clutches to adjust the brake bands, tighten right up then back off 1 1/2 to 2 turns. If that gets the pedals up but the clutches don't release enough check the bearings on the ends of the steering valve spools. Later Bob

  2. #2Barry Kennedy2015-01-29 11:02

    Thanks Bob, I have good brakes... The problem is that a Former operator adjusted the clutches and now the right side track does not pull at all in ether direction...Which makes the machine unsafe to operate and nearly imposable to load on a trailer...I will try to get the breaks adjusted properly...under the covers there are two leavers operated by the peddle rods one in the front and one in the rear, the left side works well...what I was planing to do was to measure the left side and adjust the right side to those measurements...my main problem is that I do not know what the operator did when he adjusted steering with out asking...Thanks again for any help and advice

  3. #3AllDodge2015-01-29 11:07

    When sitting and peddles resting at the top of travel are they even? When depressed far down do the peddles move?

  4. #4Bob/Ont2015-01-29 11:36

    Barry, take a look at the light linkage at the front, I think there might be something jammed between the valve end and the cam and holding the clutch in release. If not that something might be broken inside(not common) Later Bob

  5. #5Barry Kennedy2015-02-12 17:09

    Thanks Bob I will give it a try

  6. #6Bass D2016-04-28 21:11

    I have a caterpillar DC3 Lpg 1994 model I believe . It will not turn right at all. When you first put it in gear it seams the left track lags a bit before it kicks in . When pushing a load the left track will stop entirely causing the dozer to attempt to veer left. When you pull back on the steering handles the left handle travels about 3 inches further than the right . I've changed all the filters oil looks good and is full . Cat wants to charge me $700.00 to diagnose problem and jumped straight to new steering clutches at a cost of six grand in labor alone . Help!!!

  7. #7Surf2017-01-09 17:35

    brake problem on left side also.. CAT always charge just to "Diagnos"? I had the local CAT dealership come out for my D3B as it quit on me. Thought I ran out of fuel but that was not the problem. I just hadn't primed it good and got all the fuel to the injectors before getting it to run.. While they were here I asked him to adjust the linkage for the brake and he tried, looked under the machine and the bolt under the left side was all the way out. He figured it may be the brake band came totally unhooked? When I back up though it grabs just fine.. Told me to fix would cost around $5,000....I said forget it, I called and paid the bill the next Monday and when I got the bill they nailed me $350 just to look at the Brake situation... Is CAT always this high priced? If I replace the band can I do it without pulling the clutch too? As of right now I have to say I'm very disappointed in their prices as well as the "Dupont Overhaul" the dealership did on the machine before I purchased it... that said my main concern is getting the brake band replaced and finding a place that will sell parts that are reasonably priced... Thanks for any replies,,, Steve

  8. #8John C.2017-01-09 20:21

    It costs what it costs. I always figure a minimum of $1,000 for a call out. Sounds to me like they let you off pretty easy.

  9. #9JS3002017-01-10 02:37

    Surf, I looked at a D3B last year that needed the left side brake band replaced and if I remember right it didn't seem like too bad of a job. The owner had replaced the clutches himself and said it took less than a day per side. Also I think these machines had dry clutches but could be replaced with upgraded wet clutches. The quote I got from the local dozer mechanic was $2,500 for the clutches and brake band on the left side. I believe Broken Tractor had the parts fairly cheap. The owner decided to keep the dozer and I ended up with a bigger machine.

  10. #10Surf2017-01-10 10:57

    Thanks, That's sort of what I was looking for....(as to what is an average price for a call is).. I should have done some more investigating into this before I purchased a Cat.. Live and learn...