I have a 2006 JCB with a 1000 series Perkins turbo diesel. I can’t seem to detect any turbo whistle or whine under load like I can with other machines. I did take the boot off the intake side and and spin it by hand and it does seem to spin fairly easily. I’m just used to hearing in other machines - trucks, grader, other backhoe etc..
You can measure the boost pressure at full load. Not sure if you'll find a spec for that model, but it will show it's working if you get even 5 PSI. Engine needs fuel and load to produce boost though, just because it's low, doesn't mean the turbo is bad.
If your turbo isn't working, you'll get black smoke out the exhaust
I had a jcb telehandler with the same engine and had the same thought once. Even checked the turbo like you did. Came to conclusion it was normal. Only other thing you could check is the wastegate on the turbo. If it's stuck open, then it won't build boost.
If its got an air cooler in between the turbo and intake,may be leak in cooler,hole in boot,loose or broken clamp....try spray bottle w/soapy water,bubbles never lie.........
Sheep do..........
I don't think those engines have a air cooler.
Well, are you having a problem, or are you just concerned that you can't hear a whistle?
No, it runs good. There is a small amount of black smoke if you step on or the hydraulics load down, but that seems normal. Just couldn’t detect any sound like in other machines we have..
Your turbo is working.