I'm putting a new long block 4b (non turbo) cummins in a 534c-6 Gradall. How do I break it in? Thanks, Randy
GLSHLE, first I look at the cause that caused the long block to be needed, dusted engine,bearing failure,over heat, correct issues like new oil cooler, rad serviced, air cleaner inspected along with inlet hose and new filters, either system checked and or plugged at the intake. I like to change the filter at 50 hrs along with the engine oil, then the 200-250 hrs with a oil sample and a filter/oil change again, engine load will change a lot on a forklift much like a backhoe but you don't have the stall trans/hyd such as loading dirt. I have more concerns in the winter than summer on break in's but would run at idle for 15 min then half for 15 min again at 3/4 for 15 min, check max rpm and adjust to spec along with idle spec while checking oil pressure and temp, use as normal should be fine. The 4b were built in N.C. and at the plant in the 80's they would run the engines less then 30 min for the complete testing on new engines before painting and shipping to the many end users,
It had several issues I found tearing it down. They ran it out of oil to kill it. Fried the #4 rod bearing. You say a new oil cooler, not just clean this one? Thanks, Randy
GLSHLE, even if you wash /blow/wash/blow you still will not know if you get all the trash out of it, you are lucky that your engine does not have a turbo/injection pump/air compressor also oil fed to deal with also, we would install reman units or have his set for service unless the owner signed off before starting due to possible lube system trash, my thought replace it with a reman unit then you know it's clean.
Ok. Thanks for the help. Randy