Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

How to change control pattern on Case 170B excavator?

jrhook111 ยท 2024-03-15 21:25

I'm trying to figure out how to change the control pattern on this machine, an old Case 170B excavator. I have the service manual but it just says to take it to the dealer. I assume it's going to be swapping a few hoses, but which ones? Anybody know?

Replies3
  1. #1skyking12024-03-15 22:03

    Easiest to move pilot control hoses if it has them.

  2. #2jrhook1112024-03-16 17:11

    Good point. I guess I can try and trace the hoses.

  3. #34bz2024-03-16 20:05

    I switched the control pattern on my Deere backhoe to Cat pattern. There was only one control box for the hydraulics, so that is where I moved the hoses. I created this procedure while making the change: Label the following hoses: (I used tape and a marking pen) main boom up main boom down stick up stick down Lower the boom and raise the stick before disconnecting any hydraulic lines. Blocking the boom/stick in place is recommended; the boom and stick may move and discharge oil when lines are opened if they are not immobilized in place beforehand. Placing blocks under the boom and stick will raise them up for more convenient access to hoses and hose clamps. Disconnect, switch, and reconnect the control hoses for stick down and main boom up. Disconnect, switch, and reconnect the control hoses for stick up and main boom down. Retighten (to about 70%) the control hoses in their new locations. Test the new control hose locations on the valve body before replacing hose clamps. If control valve functions are correct, perform the final retightening of the control hose fittings. Rerouting of hoses may be necessary. Replace any hose clamps that were removed for hose access and routing.