Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

How to convert Aux foot pedal to hand control.

nikitis ยท 2022-10-10 11:34

Hello, I'm new to this scene. Are there kits (aftermarket or native) that could convert a foot pedal for Auxiliary left foot control to the hand for left or right hand thumb control? I have an older Yanmar 27-3 Vio that has auxiliary control but with the left foot pedal. The pedal is actually destroyed (rusted out), but the linkage is still there so if there is some sort of conversion kit it may make it easier for me to proceed with implementation. Has anyone converted auxiliary controls like this from the foot pedal to the hand? If not what would I have to do to make this a reality? What all would be involved? Thanks in Advance.

Replies13
  1. #1uffex2022-10-10 11:51

    Good day The spool you describe is a mechanical version, you most probably can convert to pilot hydraulic which would be the first step I would suggest, if you visit the web site there is a lot of information to point you in the right direction, go to excatech.org >library > adapted applications > thumb control. Kind regards Uffex.

  2. #2nikitis2022-10-10 12:57

    Thank You very much sir! I will definitely read up on that site. Yeah since posting this I already realized it is a linkage type of pedal. I researched diverting valves but my issue isn't a lack of hydraulic lines, but inability to control a set of lines I already have due to the pedal rusting off. I was looking to see if there was some sort of actuator I could buy that would return the linkage control rod to the center and wire the actuator electronically to my RH control. I could weld a slide plate for mounting an actuator, but unsure of the type of actuators I would need. I'll check that site and report back. Whatever I do it seems that nobody makes anything for this small machine so it'll have to be a custom solution.

  3. #3uffex2022-10-10 13:10

    Good day From your post i draw the conclusion that you are looking for proportional control of the option circuit, one solution for your consideration maybe a switching circuit enabling the left lever bucket control to provide a dual function, both bucket & option. Kind regards Uffex

  4. #4nikitis2022-10-10 13:34

    Attached is how my PTO Pedal works for auxiliary. The pedal is basically destroyed, leaving only the linkage rod (Part number 18). From 18 down to the control valve is in tact, I just have no way to control the linkage atm, it's essentially just free floating. The way i understand it works is, you would move pedal to the left, it would move the linkage forcing movement in one direction, when you let off of the pedal, it would return to center, moving the linkage to the Neutral position and halting movement, move in the other direction and it goes the opposite movement direction. That being said, I'm looking for a solution that I could attach to part 18 (Like an actuator that could return to neutral when I stop pressing the left or right switch. (Think Remote Controlled car radial dial where it returns to center (neutral) when not in use. Then wire the actuator to the hand control switch I would add. Would you know of something I could use for this? I'll worry about mounting, just need some solution with a guide preferably.

  5. #5uffex2022-10-10 14:04

    Good day I suggest your post requires proportional control, to use part mechanical and some other conversions would be an avenue that I have never explored. Please see attached the spool needs to travel equal amount in both directions to maintain control.Kind regards Uffex

  6. #6Forestry mower man2025-12-14 17:46

    Were you able to find a solution to converting from foot control to hand control? I have a Yanmar VIO75 with the foot pedal setup I would like to convert to hand control to better use a grapple attachment.

  7. #7smifwal2025-12-14 18:21

    If it was a pedal then why couldn't you convert it to a stick shift like set up

  8. #8Forestry mower man2025-12-15 18:42

    For better control of the aux. hyd. circuit I need to have an electric button on the joystick. I would be loading logs on trucks or feeding a wood chipper with a grapple attachment. Thanks

  9. #9smifwal2025-12-15 18:56

    Do you have a thumb? Or is it plumbed for a thumb?

  10. #10Forestry mower man2025-12-15 20:03

    It has hyd. lines, run by the foot control, that I use for a forestry mower. Fixed thumb.

  11. #11smifwal2025-12-15 20:45

    I have a thumb that runs off the roller on the joystick, I guess there is a electric over hydraulic solenoid in there somewhere. But I don't know for sure how it works

  12. #12Universal Parts2025-12-16 01:36

    I have a video about installing an electrically controlled solenoid valve, but it's in Chinese. I can send it to you if you'd like.

  13. #13Forestry mower man2025-12-16 18:50

    Smifwal, thanks for the input. Universal Parts, Unfortunately the video in Chinese won't do me any good.