Have a D4H LGP series 3 I am at the end of adjustment for track tension. The rails and drive segments are ok yet but the front and rear idlers are wore down. This dozer has a salt track but the seals are all gone and the pins are worn internally. I was wondering if I could weld some 3/8 thick rolled stock on to the idlers to kind off build them up again which should tighten the track up a little. This dozer is just used around the farm so an extra 100 hours of use will last me 1 more year. Any tricks or help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Run your tensioners back in all the way and see if you got enough slack to take a link out. Or that's where I would start.
take a link out of the track
I've seen this done, usually easier than short tracking it. Would probably work fine considering it's use
Not familiar with this machine but it may be possible to put a space between the tensioning ram and the idler frame extending idler travel. An inch would last a good number of hours.
I had exacty the same problem with mine,and yes got some flat rolled and built up idlers. I also drilled very small holes in rubber bungs at pin ends on chains ,enableing me to push grease into each bush. The rubber closes off the hole if drill small Somewhat of a pain on one side as bungs on inside. You cannott pack idlers out as where they bolt on is not parallel to chains. I think they are a very poor design ,as it seems no allowance has been made for dry links. You wont be able to find any data on Pitch changes as they wear ,as pr older types It seems that salt tracks are not suposed to go dry. ''Yea right'' Regards PS you cannott pump adjuster out more than 100mm as there is a rebait in stem that bypasses the grease at that measurment